Strangers approaching you while detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guilty of being the strange approacher.

Once out in the middle of nowhere about 120klms passed Laverton wa, I had been swinging for about 2 hours with not a soul in sight.

From a distance I spotted an unusual white object protruding from behind some shrubbery.
From where I was I couldn't tell if it was an odd off white quartz boulder, an albino animal or some sort of man made object.

Curiously and carefully I slowly made my way towards it not taking my eyes off it incase it was some sort of animal.

When I was about 20 mtrs away I swear I saw it move, ah ha! Definately an animal I thought. So I propped, crouched down and quietly got the camera out incase it scampered off.

All of a sudden, to my horror, an arm with a wad of toilet paper reached back from the bushes, gave it a wipe then the owner of the white object which was obviously his bum, stood up and was as suprised to see me as I was him.

madtuna said:
I'm guilty of being the strange approacher.

Once out in the middle of nowhere about 120klms passed Laverton wa, I had been swinging for about 2 hours with not a soul in sight.

From a distance I spotted an unusual white object protruding from behind some shrubbery.
From where I was I couldn't tell if it was an odd off white quartz boulder, an albino animal or some sort of man made object.

Curiously and carefully I slowly made my way towards it not taking my eyes off it incase it was some sort of animal.

When I was about 20 mtrs away I swear I saw it move, ah ha! Definately an animal I thought. So I propped, crouched down and quietly got the camera out incase it scampered off.

All of a sudden, to my horror, an arm with a wad of toilet paper reached back from the bushes, gave it a wipe then the owner of the white object which was obviously his bum, stood up and was as suprised to see me as I was him.
Night detecting by a full moon! :D

Hi madtuna, I bet you cracked up about that for hours!!, I definitely would of, that's bloody hilarious, or is it just my warped sense of humour??

Could of taken a distance shot & asked people what sort of animal did they think it was!!

gadgetman45 said:
Could of taken a distance shot & asked people what sort of animal did they think it was!!
You only had to tell him that you were looking for nuggets. I'm sure he would understand ;)

I have approached a bloke swinging in the park when I was a big younger, nice chap, asked a couple questions and then left, I think he was just happy that I showed interest in what he was doing.

Heatho said:
I find it's usually Women who are most curious, every time beach detecting I have 1 or 2 come over and say hi. :)
I knew I bought a detector for a reason ..... to escape the wife's endless list of chores around the house... going to the beach and being chatted up by girls in bikinis. Have to put it to the test.. but they will only be after all my gold.. haha.

gadgetman45 said:
Does your wife know that you have a chick magnet (detector) & that you wave it at all the girls in bikinis.
My daughters friend asked me what the metal detector was for so I scanned her from top to bottom and it went bleep bleep. She was quite embarrassed and my daughter asked her " you didnt did you?". Say no more ;)

salty said:
Heatho said:
I find it's usually Women who are most curious, every time beach detecting I have 1 or 2 come over and say hi. :)
I knew I bought a detector for a reason ..... to escape the wife's endless list of chores around the house... going to the beach and being chatted up by girls in bikinis. Have to put it to the test.. but they will only be after all my gold.. haha.

I dunno maybe it was just that sexy looking GPX I swing that they were attracted to, I wonder if the Aldi detector has the same effect. :)

I think its a shame that fellow prospectors would see a newbie out and about and give them a bum steer. However I also know how important it may be holding on to a patch where you know gold resides. I hope u guys out there ensure that new prospectors are welcome....having a serious lobby group is very important given the laws are getting tighter and tighter. Sometimes it may pay to say..."you know what.....i've had several nice nuggets from this area and nice to meet you. You a PA member?"

Peter

Twapster said:
I think its a shame that fellow prospectors would see a newbie out and about and give them a bum steer. However I also know how important it may be holding on to a patch where you know gold resides. I hope u guys out there ensure that new prospectors are welcome....having a serious lobby group is very important given the laws are getting tighter and tighter. Sometimes it may pay to say..."you know what.....i've had several nice nuggets from this area and nice to meet you. You a PA member?"

Peter

Dead right Twapster.
I can understand people wanting to protect ones 'special spot', especially if you have done hard yards to find it. But to deliberately give a bum-steer, or as I have experienced on occasion, to have no interest in sharing general information about a particular area or technique etc, is just hypocritically greedy & destructive to our Forum-family & our Hobby- I've often wondered about those people, what they must be thinking to be that way; I guess they figure that the more people they scare away, or steer away, the more Gold there will be for them......as if they could possible cover an entire District themselves. It is interesting though when you see those same people then trying to pick the brains of others. The ugly side of Human-nature I guess. The only up-side is that those people very quickly stand out from the rest.
Thankfully this Forum is pretty good for the exchange of information & advice, & I am amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is out there & freely available from most of us. ;)

I agree, our strange and twisted morality sometimes gets the better of us.....sometimes rightly so when other people burn you...im sure there are plenty of blokes out there that have given away spots and had them pillaged because of being nice and providing information to others. However it would be nice to be around people that share info as well. Passing on trade secrets to fellow prospectors, even if they are stumbling and fumbling with their new equipment. If I see someone with a pan or detector or higbanker...id like to think they are part of the brotherhood, not just a hood! if you know what I mean!!!

Twapster said:
I agree, our strange and twisted morality sometimes gets the better of us.....sometimes rightly so when other people burn you...im sure there are plenty of blokes out there that have given away spots and had them pillaged because of being nice and providing information to others. However it would be nice to be around people that share info as well. Passing on trade secrets to fellow prospectors, even if they are stumbling and fumbling with their new equipment. If I see someone with a pan or detector or higbanker...id like to think they are part of the brotherhood, not just a hood! if you know what I mean!!!

Twapster

It would be bloody un Australian conduct, it's Australian to take the piss out of someone, but not a bum steer. I agree, and I think gold is like sanity, it's those that think they have, that truly don' t.

While beach detecting last week, I had a bloke approach me to ask if I could detect his knees! He'd recently had knee replacements in both legs and was worried they might cause a problem when he goes through airport security detector gates. A quick swing confirmed his worst fears - there's no way he'll get through pre-flight screening without at least being asked to show his scars to verify his story. :D

Latest posts