Storm in the Hunter region.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Chris. Just reading the Web news. The Worst Is Yet To Come Apparently. Baird is asking for bosses to be flexible and for people to get home as soon as they can. This applies from the illawarra through Sydney to Newcastle. Newcastle and lower Hunter expected to be the worst.

Thats a bit harsh Ramjet, thanks for posting up those photos, id better check on the rellies down in Newie. Thankfully most of them live around wallsend and elemore vale out of the lowlying areas. Can only imagine what wallsend plaza looks like atm, it floods after a heavy thunderstorm.
Stay safe down there everyone.

Not good mate I couldn't imagine how you feel at the moment. The rain and flooding isn't as bad as the wind we are getting here, hopefully it blows over soon. Stay safe everyone.

unbelievable mate.. we are living at taree 150 kms away and have had a sunny day with zero wind and did the washing and dryed it... 20kms all around us has been absolutely drowned... we are living in the eye of the storm...incredible... :)

WE had the wind through the night and this morning. Lots of trees and signs blown over. Roofs off buildings. Wind has eased off for now. Water in the yard is dropping. It's a mess.

I was born and bred in maitland...born 1955 the year of the flood.. there were houses washed away in a lot of areas that now have housing estates built on them.. bloody scary mate.. the council says no flood for 100 years and it is ok to build there... I have been down recently and the growth of maitland is amaising and the traffic getting wicked these days... keep an eye out on old buildings,posts ect for a small sign that says "FL 1955".... they were set at the 1955 flood level... :)

Hey Kawman. Our house was moved to it's current location in the mid 70's. It's up on stilts like a Queenslander so we are dry. There used to be little signs on most electrical poles showing the 55 flood height. As they replace the poles the signs disappear. Mostly if you had a single story house then it would have been up to the roof.
Fastest growing area of the state apparently. Sub divisions in every direction and yes the traffic is bad in most parts. We live in the center of town and it's all classed as flood zone.

Missus driving home this avro, most traffic lights are out, almost got home, but then stopped by flood waters. She had to make a massive detour, but finally got back. No police at major intersections, they must be flat out with more important stuff.

Best wishes to all those that have been affected by the current terrible weather.

Stay safe and I hope your back on your feet soon

on the east maitland end of the main drag was the bus depot and a bridge over the rail line. in behind that was a horseshoe bend in the river that disappeared when the river changed course in the 1955 flood.. the old wharves/landings / were still there up until whites motors closed years later. over to the west side there were houses under the concrete bridge next to the hospital that washed away in the 1955 flood as well.. Melbourne st east maitland was up to the roofs as well.. the guys brought out a speed boat to help rescue people and smashed all the shop windows going down the street with their bow wave by going too fast until they slowed down somewhat.. :)

And I will add that the river behind the main drag was 80 feet deep where the old bridge crossed and handled very large boats... by about 1980 you could walk across the river and not get your socks wet.. :)

The change sure has been amazing Kawman.

I grew up on a Hunter River property about 10km downstream of Maitland and spent some time in flood rescue boats rescuing standard families when the river has been in full rage. Once had fencing wire wrapped around the prop and was caught in a huge whirlpool, it was a close call and gave me a new appreciation of what nature can do. Thankfully I had some talented SES compadres in the boat who undertook a remarkable display of teamwork under pressure.

I now live on top of a hill and quietly let out a sigh of relief every time Hewie has a good long spit.

As a kid I remember standing near Stockon bridge, watching all the floodwater debris. Must have been in the 70s, has always stuck in my mind, the cows still alive, being washed down the river, and out to sea.

Ramjet said:
Heatho said:
Farout Rod, hope the damage isn't too bad, hoping my house is ok too, we are out past Orange until tomorrow morning, was tempted to head home this morning but thought things should be ok. Our house overlooks Manly and the wind can hit hard sometimes. I'm a little more worried as it is heading south. Hopefully it heads out to sea by this afternoon. Looks to be heading out away from the coast a bit now.

I really picked a crap week to go away, total washout here.

One hell of an East Coast Low. Might have to buy a CTX this week if there is some significant beach erosion.

Keep safe everyone.

Thanks Heatho. You'd be better off not traveling. The roads are chaos.

Our house is up on stilts so we are high and dry. Still have the power on but I have all the camp lights ready. 50,000 without power. 3 houses washed away in Dungog and sadly 3 dead.

Farout that's horrific news, I knew it was bad but no idea it was that bad. :(

Latest posts