Storm Erosion and taking advantage of that sand loss

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have shown two photos to illustrate how a beach can change in just a week - for that matter, overnight. I was will friends and minus my detector when I saw all these cutouts on the beach and what an opportunity that would have been.

:playful:
1606278340_20201115_172412.jpg

1606278341_20201122_111910.jpg

You have to go for it when it is washed away . It is no good coming back the next day , it will be too late . I have missed out a number of times .

I agree but I was with friends and you can't just leave so sometimes it's just hard luck. It's a good bitch for me because I have seen it in all different manner of condition I'm looking forward to going into the water and scuba diving with my metal detector in the summer. :pickshovel:

Hello Mike 678 , thanks again for replying, I forgot to say so. When I was there the following week the sand loss was 0,9 meters at the berm protecting the beach.

The beaches in South Florida see a lot of chaos. If you don't like the way the beach looks, just wait a day because it's going to change.

Anyway, Routinely I scan with the coil vertically - top to bottom - to check for targets as the beach underneath is revealed. I picked up several coins right off the sand berm with my hand and. a few more of the beach that has been revealed by the wave action - just sitting on surface. :pickshovel: :Y: :pickshovel:

1606333653_20191117_104223.jpg
1606333169_20191117_104243.jpg

NOV 2019:
The same beach as above, a year earlier. Here's where the water was washing in 25-30 meters inland. The parking lot to the west of the beach flooded with 15 cm of water.

This was before my current detector, as I used to have a White's V3i and that was ghastly at the beach in saltwater sand/mineralized conditions - YOU MIGHT AS WELL SIT ON YOUR SOFA IN YOUR HOUSE. Whereas, the Garrett Sea Hunter II that I have now ignores all that mineralization and will "see" a larger clad coin at 35 cm using the 10" x 14" PROformance Mono Searchcoil. Good for 66 meters underwater though I stick to 1-3 meters.

I am praying I can find a White's TDI (pro or SL) because it will do very well on the beach (not in the water much above the coil). I figure a larger, elliptical Coiltek mono coil., 35 cm long, will pull gold rings from 50 cm plus - depending on their weight. Plus, another pass with a Nugget Finder 8x6 "SADIE" Advantage Mono Searchcoil will get the gold necklaces.

I live in Sydney within walking distance of the beach . I started off with a Garret Deepseeker 40 + years ago . I now have a Minelab Equinox 800 , a very good machine . People are using less coins and there are more people using detectors on our beaches .

Keep reading the beach , I tend to only go out if the beach is washed away . otherwise I am wasting my time . IMO.

There are some photos of coins I found under Treasure , Coin and Relics .

I also picked up $64.70 with out using the detector , you have to stand there watching the waves moving the sand away at high tide . It does not happen very often .

I always wanted to detect in the gold fields in the golden triangle, near Melbourne, or maybe somewhere else less hunted.

At least you stay out of the water, though the box jellies are farther north the sharks are everywhere.

I I have on my radar the purchase of a White's TDI SL and I would only want to use it for finding gold on the beach. Of course can pulltabs and in America, $0.05 pieces , nickels, will also ring in the same range - as high tone, but iron and clad coinage will null out.

Of course there are ways to set it to do other things but this is my initial plan. I like the equinox 800, I have been watching it and deciding whether not one day I will buy one. I know people love them but there's no way they get the depth of the PI detector. :pickshovel:
:goldnugget: :pickshovel:

I had to give up using the scoop in the wet sand and get the shovel out , when using the Nox 800 . I would not use it under water lot of bad reports of water getting in .

I work those cuts every time I see them. We have strong, perpendicular winds hitting the beach from offshore. Those dumb blokes that manage the beach have no clue on how to conserve that sand during storms so the beach self-destructs and then sometimes rebuilds itself or they spend a few hundred million dollars and put the sand back.

The problem with those beaches is the natural source of sand has all been built on (ie. sand hills), so there is no choice other than to truck sand to help replenish them. Same deal in Adelaide, detecting is great when the beaches are starved of sand, though they get totally sanded in when the sand is trucked from the northern beaches and dump back down to the south again. Just got to be on the ball and take the opportunity when it presents itself - that usually mean lots of late night detecting when tides are low and conditions are favourable. :D

I pulled a ladies bracelet from 30 cm. It was sitting on the "wall" of my digging hole. I looped it around my toe and pulled it out. I think it's costume jewelry but it is a testimony to the Garrett Sea Hunter II (with larger, optional mono coil). The item was in wet sand above the surf line. Post mortem: I think the detector toned off of the pendant, but hard to say.

1606587192_20201128_120428.jpg

:clap:

Yeah.... but that big rusty chain woulda been forming a pretty intense halo out into the sand over time, so it coulda been that too (or a bit of both) mighta made it a bit of a chattery signal if you weren't on all metal. But I don't own one so couldn't be 100% positive... but I am familiar with garret sounds

It's a Garret Sea Hunter II, not the Infinium, so there is no high low tone. I do notch out the low tones as best I can. Frankly, I didn't but it for the beach but for treasure diving. I am working on some flavor of a White's TDI/ HI-Q/ PRO, and then the magic begins for onshore work.

I would consider the Minelab Equinox but we have massive movement of sand and very vdeep detection is a must.

I went down last night for a handful of bottle tops and a bobby pin lol(dry beach)..... but the beach is that little bit cleaner. Good luck on that dry sand it's nice digging and some people do well.

I was just using an as it came standard Ace250(got no other coils for it).

My underwater detector is defunct now with the coil lead having an almost constant intermittent short where it enters the coil... and it's just a cheapie black one fully sealed from box to coil, so if I open it to fix it it may not be deep water proof at all anymore. But it was great while it lasted, most probably vlf because I used to use it in parks and out bush too for some good finds. Whereas yours being a pi is designed specifically for in the salt water. But yours would go much deeper than mine with more finds I'd say.
I've an exterra 70 too that runs well, and an old whites 5000d that still hums like brand new.

G'day

As a kid back in the early seventies I used to walk my local beach in Shoalwater Bay, WA that was just down the road from my house after storms and pick up many pre-decimal coins, most were in poor condition and had already been there for a long time, the very same beach these days has several more metres of sand depth over it and even after storms the sand does not wash anywhere near down to the level it did back then, I have watched this beach many times over the years and have never seen it even after huge storms get as washed as it used to be, this annoys me judging what I used to just pick up laying on the sand I know that using a metal detector on it when its washed would probably produce some good jewelry and maybe some good coins as well.

The only thing that I can think of is that back in the 70's is the rock wall and bridge was built from the other side of the point from Shoalwater Bay at Point Peron out to the Garden Island naval base, this changed many things in Cockburn Sound so maybe it also changed the way the tide and wave action worked on the other side of the point as well?, didn't have metal detector back then or I would have cleaned up I reckon.

cheers

stayyerAU

Sometimes the changes to a beach (in the water I'm talking about) are less obvious. If you are a water hunter, you're hoping for erosion. At a lot of the beaches I detect on, when the sand in the water is eroded, you get down to a rock/clay/shell layer that traps the goodies. However, it's not always obvious, as the hard pack layer may be just hiding (invisible to the eye) under sand that has been mostly washed away. So it takes a bit of persistence and luck.

Latest posts