Stihl 038AV decompression problem

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys. Having Problems with my Old Stihl 038AV. Nearly pull my knuckles off. When taking out the spark plug no problems, but when make in. Cant pull it Any ideas. Please.

grubstake said:
While the spark plug was out, did you check to see that the piston was rising and falling normally in the cylinder?
Yes free. Up and down

Will change the fuel and add new fresh fuel the plug is brand new Because I cant get a pull on it cant be the fuel Best thing to do is take it in and get a full service on it.

Last time I used it. Few months back it ran out of petrol and just left it. Thinking and researching on google. This stihl 038av has problems with that , it has no decompression button. So looks like time trade the old girl in , Ive had it since I was 21. So. 30 years later not bad

grubstake said:
Are you sure the new plug is the correct one for the engine? If it's too long and is contacting the piston, that would explain your problem.

Yep same plug always buy three at a time
Brand new but a few years old thou.

Funny. Took the old girl in and the service guy just one pull and started. Gee Im must be getting weak in the arm. Bugger so in for a service clean up and back in 2 weeks. Poor old girl. Anyway brought a smaller version for the small jobs So back into

Thanks guys for your advice

Latest posts