Stawell Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi my name is mark, I am going to Stawell for a few days,for a bit of panning ect,are there any good spots around Stawell that would be worth panning,. im fairly new to this,and just thought id give it ago,for a few days while im off work thanks

Have a crack at these, but water????

Red = Shallow gold workings
Blue = Projected/possible water courses.
Green = Deep leads.
Grey = Crown land (indicative only)

So my best guess is where red meets blues??

Good luck.

1397823657_stawell.gif

Very good advise loamer, there are a few creeks Melbourne side of the grampiens, are you allowed to pan those.

Hi,

I am new to prospecting and was Just wondering about the red sections (Shallow gold workings), are these shallow enough to dig a few sample holes and have a chance of finding gold ? I was thinking I might get some sample buckets and pan them out at home ?

James

Shallow is a relative term. Checking the gold nugget records of Vic cites many 'shallow' nuggets as being anywhere between the surface to 6 feet - the Welcome Stranger and hand of faith were both shallow, almost on the surface. Shallow usually refers to gold that was obtainable through shallow sinking, i.e. the common diggers holes we see through the goldfields. Deeper diggings were usually shafts and hence would be out of the range of modern detectors. Try and research the loaming process which means actively taking samples of soil usually above a known point where gold is located, usually alluvial. In a nut shell - its a means of working from Point A - smaller alluvial gold,back to the source point,usually a reef or variant thereof. A good place to check is where known shallow leads meet and research of nugget finds, and these are found on old original geologists maps, highlight that a lot were found at these junctions.

Indications of where the old timers have taken samples are posted elsewhere on the forum but are usually small, almost shovel like holes, dotted around the goldfields. These are normally found on shallow leads. Some times they were so successful that the whole surface has been taken away for processing, hence the term 'surfaced' or 'paddocked'. Areas around old surfaced areas are always a good start for detecting and sampling especially the edges where the old timers just stopped. Usually because the economic quantity stopped NOT the gold. Good gold for is still found around the edges of shallow workings especially around the sides of the gullies and higher ground.

Another loaming (sampling process) is to work up a gold bearing creek/gully and keep going until the gold either stops or gets very minute. That's when the process of working up from the creek begins - sampling (loaming) for the gold source. Yes, it can be very hit and miss. There is Sam Cash's booklet 'Loaming for Gold' which explains the sampling process you are after. There is no magic bullet. Some people even take away mullock heaps for sampling, especially on areas with smaller alluvial gold the old timers missed. Don't ever believe the nonsense that where the Chinese operated, they cleaned out the old mullock - I can assure you gold is still found on Chinese worked sites.

farmeroz said:
Loamer just curious where that type of map came from?

The Victorian parch series. However, a lot of maps are missing the 'notes' that were attached to the maps. The series is on-line to download and a search of trove and the State library of Vic will also bring them up. Printing can get expensive - I got mine done on a plotter (900mm wide) some years back at about $10 per map and have never regretted it. I know of several people who scour the archives for the geologists notes - they are 'gold'. I use the older maps in conjunction with the Memory maps 1:25,000 of Vic which has a 3D modelling tool.

Stawell and Ararat, in fact right down to Great Western, are very interesting goldfields. They don't seem to get too much attention, I guess because a lot of ground is now private property. Bit like St Arnaud and Stuart Mill I guess - places that either don't get detected too much or places where finds are kept very quiet.

Hi Goldenred, crumbs sums what i've found. 0.3g is the biggest. Hours of hunting & plenty of lead.
Mainly using an SDC, some finds with a Gold Monster.
regards, Adam.

:D :D Nice good to see u getting some its hard work there Ive noticed. Yes must be some mullock piles with more bits for u :D

Latest posts