Spring Creek - Oallen Ford

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No operating mines there these days, and most of it is on private property or a nature reserve.

The reference to Mr Devery's Globe Hotel at Fernbank on page 47 refers to my Great Great Grandfather. I still have a pair of cufflinks and a wedding ring made of gold he recovered there before deciding that there was better money to be made selling grog to miners than to be a miner himself.

It's a shame that the goldfield is not accessible,would be great to see some of the places mentioned in the article.

Oh thats a bummer!

Would have been awesome to check it out. Google maps shows that it's still cleared so thats why i was wondering if there was anything still happening down there.

I enjoyed exploring cowra creek gold mine, was hoping there was another one i could snoop around :)

Funnily enough, DB, I have a connection to Cowra Creek mine as well. My grandfather on the other side was a miner there and mum was a little kid on the field in the late 1930's.

DrDuck said:
Funnily enough, DB, I have a connection to Cowra Creek mine as well. My grandfather on the other side was a miner there and mum was a little kid on the field in the late 1930's.

Have you read any of Barry McGowan's books Dr D? I think Dust & Dreams covered a bit of the Cowra Ck history.

DropBear - it's funny, just the other night I was reading that PDF you linked to and was wondering how accessible the Spring Ck Jacqua area is these days.

I can see some tracks into that area on the topo map in garmin basecamp, so was thinking I would do a detour next time I'm out Oallen way and have a look.....

Cheers,
john

Hahaha you and me both Bundy! I was thinking of trying to see if i could get in there somehow :)

Google maps on satellite images are my friend right now.

I spotted an area called Sewells Point (alluvial diggings) on one of the maps in that PDF, down closer to the river. A bit of googling and I came across something on a kayaking site that noted you need to get the key to the gate from the landowner to get down there, not sure if the gate is out on the main road or further in, but worth a look some time.....

Let me know if you find out any more, or get to have a look out there. I usually tend to do recce trips to out of the way places like that on the little trail bike to avoid getting stuck in some boghole in the softroader, but motorcycles don't seem to be too popular in those parts even if you don't hoon around like an idiot.

bundyjd said:
I spotted an area called Sewells Point (alluvial diggings) on one of the maps in that PDF, down closer to the river. A bit of googling and I came across something on a kayaking site that noted you need to get the key to the gate from the landowner to get down there, not sure if the gate is out on the main road or further in, but worth a look some time.....

i gather was good my resource?
I`m trying to help as much as i can :D

Latest posts