Spot of interest

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the spots I usually go to are starting to go dry, new locations had to be found. Tried a new little park not too far from home today which seemed promising. No pre decimals which is a bit of a shame but there is a lot of evidence to suggest that they're there so I won't give up on them just yet. Best find of the day being a button which has a lion and crown on it and a number 28 (assuming it's from 1928?) as well as gold gilt. Apologies for the pictures, Iphones don't really do a great job :p Also managed to stab myself on a badge that I found which came from the school across the road, didn't put that in the picture for obvious reasons. ;)

1445235491_parramatta_1.jpg

1445235491_parramatta.jpg

I would definitely take another look around that spot, the button certainly suggests there is some age to the area. The BB's also are a good indication that it may not have been hit before as well. Good to hear from you. :)

Could be a significant historical find :cool:

28th (North Gloucestershire) Regiment of Foot

1445239183_image.jpg

After the Napoleonic Wars (1803-15) the regiment spent the first two decades in the Mediterranean (1818-29), Ireland (1829-34) and England (1834-35). It then sailed with convict ships to Australia as garrison troops. It transferred to India for six years in 1842 and also served in the Crimea (1854-56), fighting at the Alma (1854), Inkerman (1854) and Sevastopol (1855). It returned to India for seven years in 1858, before further time in the Mediterranean (1869-74).

1445239206_image.jpg

In February 1835 the 28th (North Gloucestershire) Regiment started its voyage from England, twenty-three ships in all, bound for New South Wales in Australia. Here they were to remain until 1842, when they left for India.

The 28ths headquarters was at Parramatta, now a suburb of Sydney, but contingents were despatched elsewhere in New South Wales and Queensland, including Hassans Wells, Illawarra, Tonrang, Harpers Hill, Enim Plain, Seventeen Mile Hollow, Newcastle, Maitland, Bloxland Station, Port Philip and Moreton Bay.

Australia proved to be quite congenial to some, and the Naval and Military Gazette of February 1838 reported that:

The Officers of this [28th] Regiment have been less disgusted with banishment to New South Wales than others have been; for we observe that already a considerable portion have settled in the Colony, and twelve more are about to retire from service for that purpose.

It was not just from amongst the officers of the 28th that new colonists were found for this outpost of Empire. Before the 28th left in 1842, all old soldiers with at least seventeen years service and being of good character were offered the chance of a years salary and 300 acres of land to settle in Australia. It was an opportunity that many could not turn down.

Recreational pursuits amongst the Regiment in Australia included putting on concerts and theatrical performances, and one popular hobby with the men was to produce scrimshaw work on powder horns, some of which survive today.

But there was serious and less congenial work to be undertaken. Convicts were employed in construction work, building roads and clearing forests, and they needed supervision. Sometimes, parties of soldiers were sent into the interior, to protect farmers and other settlers from the depredations of escaped criminals, the so-called bushrangers.

$18.55 to spend is good too Riley :eek: ,... well done on that score ! :D

Wow Wally that's quite a bit of information found just from a button :eek: I can tell you from just reading certain parts of it that it is indeed what you have mentioned which is quite interesting. So what would the age on it be? Judging from the soil conditions and depth alone I know it's quite old, I just assumed the 28 meant 1928 :p

On the assumption that the regiment was packed off to Australia in new uniforms I would say it was made around 1834 and lost, possibly by the Newcastle based garrison prior to 1842. Otherwise lost by a retired serviceman on his gifted landholding.

If my memory serves me correctly, they were based on the headland overlooking Nobbys beach and their Barracks are still there at the rear of the naval gun bunkers.

It may be worth your while visiting the guys who restored and maintain it as they may be able to give you better information.

I am sure they would appreciate a loan of your button in their museum. I would love to see a little plaque saying "Donated by RileyMcSmiley - Detectorist - 2015" :cool:

For some reason Riley , I have it in my mind you are from Newcastle and that is where the button surfaced.

If that is not the case, please consider my last post as a brain fart.

I'm not from Newcastle haha, quite a distance away from it actually... but I won't say where I got it from, at least just yet. ;) So the button is potentially 180 years old... that's something :D I'll keep this post updated as I go back to the spot, let's hope I find some more cool stuff :cool:

Found your button's owner. In a book I recently picked up from th opp shop ;) I think he is the one saying goodbye but he could be one of the fellows standing behind.

1445578924_image.jpg

Back at it again, very first signal came up exactly like a florin. Managed to dig it out after about 5mins and whaddyaknow a big padlock. Two digs later and I get an actual florin :D I knew there were pre decimals here it was just a matter of time! Not much more than that in terms of historical finds though... Had to cut the hunt short since some event hosts still had the ground rented for their event and didn't want me digging while they were still there but oh well. It's strange though they didn't say a thing until about 2 hours in. I ain't complaining :p

1445827644_spi2.jpg

Heres the florin after a bit of cleaning:
1445827644_spi1.jpg

Latest posts