Speed Sign Sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may need to back up the water flow a little bit, as you've shown in the video there is much white water which is not good for small gold, unless your area has bigger gold ;) or you're chasing gems.

Looks good on the angle , though. The standard angle (mostly but that depends on your area and if you have clayish material or not) is 2 cm slope every 30 cm of the length of the box (sluice). This is for reference.
Good luck.

Bloody rain had filled my little creek spot and it was too bloody cold standing in the water over my knees . Put one bucket through and it did well I reckon , got enough gold to half cover a thumb nail :D Will fix that grate and I reckon she'll be sweet ! Went detecting instead , but that is in the other thread :D

AtomRat said:
With using the matting you will get more concentrates to cleanup but also good with areas with lots of black sands or heavies as long as it doesn't have the backing ( which i don't think yours does if you bought it from Bunnings ), but you can remove it as well. Personal and area preference.

!
Mine does have the backing .
Please explain why I would want to remove it .

Yeb, Atomrat has got it. Carrying a full "backed" mat after running dirt through it in a sluice is like carrying a jelly filled mattress :lol:
The un-backed one lets slurry flow more easily through it, hence the need to put some other v rubber mat/carpet underneath to catch any gold that tries to escape from it to the tailings end.

MMM ,, I just used what Wal uses ,, he seems to get lots of Gold . Maybe I'll try some different stuff down the track , as it did make me wonder how much was still trapped in the mat after washing it .

JeffP said:
MMM ,, I just used what Wal uses ,, he seems to get lots of Gold . Maybe I'll try some different stuff down the track , as it did make me wonder how much was still trapped in the mat after washing it .
Wals mat suits his high banker very well with the speeds of the narrowing end to help pull the material, which ours don't. ( yours is extremely similar to mine apart from I don't use mats and riffles )

And gold getting trapped is your last "worry" too. Use the mat for 5 or 10 years and burn it in a steel pan or container on a fire. Pan out the ash to collect the fines that got stuck. :)

Latest posts