Speed Sign Sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Slowly getting there and has only cost me about $20 so far :D
1438836823_imgp2564_large.jpg

1438836904_imgp2562_large.jpg

So, in your street you have a steel post with 2 hole in the top which used to hide a 60kph sign???
I have council witches hats for when i need to park in front of the house--tworks.
Jaros :eek:

Your not one of those blokes that put cones out the front of his house to stop people parking there then park your car in front of the neighbours house are you Jaros??? :p

Cracka.

Anyway ,,, I have other questions . Should I reduce from 40mm to 25mm in the spray bars ? And how big and how far apart should I drill the holes for the spray bars ?

Top comeback mate. :lol: :lol:
What pump are you using to drive it. ?
Also a very nice build mate. ;)
Very nice.

JeffP said:
Jaros said:
So, in your street you have a steel post with 2 hole in the top which used to hide a 60kph sign???

Jaros :eek:

Nope ..... I took the post as well

Not wanting to see any fello prospectors getting in trouble, I would probably spray paint over the 60k sign. If the rangers come across you out and about you 'could' be looking at a goods in custody charge.

willo1 said:
Not wanting to see any fello prospectors getting in trouble, I would probably spray paint over the 60k sign. If the rangers come across you out and about you 'could' be looking at a goods in custody charge.

Not going to get into trouble , they were found at the local tip .

I will be using a pump similar to the Rato and Thornado . 3hp and 40mm .

Sooo... If we use a 100kmh sign we get gold faster...then again there is a 20 ton load limit sign down the road.. it may be better for those big sluicing jobs :D

Very true about that.
My Mum has some making up the back wall in her car port.
Yes, She has had a few knocks on the door from the local constabulary. :cool:
My brother works for the RTA/RMS road crew. :lol:
I have used them my self over the years and have used paint stripper to
remove the plastic coating on them.
Oh, They are Durealium.
Very hard wearing. :D

willo1 said:

Tathradj said:
Very true about that.

I have used them my self over the years and have used paint stripper to
remove the plastic coating on them.
:D
I gave up on the paint stripper ,,went to a wire brush on an angle grinder .

I got to give it a quick test with the pump today , and I mean quick , only had a 60 l container and it emptied real quick :D But for the 10 seconds I saw the sluice running ,,its a ripper ! :) Even the aluminium shavings from drilling/grinding etc got caught in the mesh :cool:

Heading out Sunday to get some Gold in it :)

What do you guys run your sluice angles at ? And the top box as well ?

Top box doesnt matter mate, set it where your comfortable with the classifying speed and rock fall off.

I think bottom is roughly 15cm drop per 3 foot, I dont measure it, I tell by how fast the riffles clean out and I set it at 5 seconds a shovel. ( if that makes sense )

I usually have my 2.5hp, 40,000l/hr set just above idle

I agree.
Set your banker up at a reasonable drop from the back then shovel through for a minute.
Watch what the little rocks are doing in the riffle /crate area.
If you can see them dancing and not being stripped out to quick, All Good.
If they are speeding around like a catn on ice and you can see the mat underneath after a short run.
Too much water or angle.
The setup you have looks to be very forgiving but you do not want to be giving back
yellow stuff. :lol: :lol:
Experiment mate and I would love to see the look on your face when the first bit of Gold is in your concentrates.
Enjoy... :D

AtomRat said:
Top box doesnt matter mate, set it where your comfortable with the classifying speed and rock fall off.

I think bottom is roughly 15cm drop per 3 foot, I dont measure it, I tell by how fast the riffles clean out and I set it at 5 seconds a shovel. ( if that makes sense )

I usually have my 2.5hp, 40,000l/hr set just above idle

Im just looking at your grizzly or screen or whatever you want to call it, looks weak and it wont handle lots of rock or heavy rock. The thin bars will most likely bend and jam with rock very quickly.

Try out op shops, look for an abandoned trolley in a culvert or just get some bigger bars, and make sure its on a hinge so you can shake it when it does get jammed

AtomRat said:
Im just looking at your grizzly or screen or whatever you want to call it, looks weak and it wont handle lots of rock or heavy rock. The thin bars will most likely bend and jam with rock very quickly.

Try out op shops, look for an abandoned trolley in a culvert or just get some bigger bars, and make sure its on a hinge so you can shake it when it does get jammed

Agree.

The gaps (in the grizzly bars/screen) look a bit too big to me as well, you may find some bigger rocks dropping into your box and the water having trouble moving them, especially if a few drop down at once.

I'd also remove the mat from underneath your expanded mesh as well, it's not needed.

Cheers again fellas . The classifier is from an old fridge , shelf , and time will tell I suppose .

As for the mat under the expanded ,, it cant hurt , can it ?

Took it for a quick spin today , I am impressed :)
I know there isnt much gold where I took it , but I got this after about 15 shovels . And , yes , I need to getter a smaller grate .
1439014149_imgp2568_large.jpg

I have a video loading at the moment , will put it up soon .

That's awesome mate, glad it all worked out and I'm sure it didn't take long to believe us with the grate ;)

With using the matting you will get more concentrates to cleanup but also good with areas with lots of black sands or heavies as long as it doesn't have the backing ( which i don't think yours does if you bought it from Bunnings ), but you can remove it as well. Personal and area preference.

Will check out the vid when its up :)

Its all trial and error though mate, you find what suits you best and you even invent your own modifications as you go, its great fun, keep with it!

AtomRat said:

I have to agree with AtomRat on this, the grizzly bars look very thin and weak, better get more stronger ones. And a very neat trick to attach them by a hinge.

Check this vid out, this design has many neat ideas thrown into it ;) and there is a hinged grizzly that can be lifted to throw the oversized material away, easy for cleanup and not jamming the sluice bed underneath.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuDKWqC5lJY[/video]

And there is more pics on their website:

http://www.advancedminingequipment.com/PowerSluice.html

Hope this helps.

Latest posts