Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could play Barry Manilow songs, like they do to drive teenage vandals away from shopping centers at night.

It might work with the bush snakes. Lol. :)

Just thinking a funny thought. :D
The Abba Medley would turn into a Roy Orbison duet if a curly one was seen. :lol:
Hence going to a Pavrotti at the sight of a big one. :lol:
I think I better go to bed. :8

Tathradj said:
Just thinking a funny thought. :D
The Abba Medley would turn into a Roy Orbison duet if a curly one was seen. :lol:
Hence going to a Pavrotti at the sight of a big one. :lol:
I think I better go to bed. :8

I prefer Andrea Bocelli myself. But I have no idea what the snooks think of him. YMMV.

Maybe a fat lady singing would scare them off? :)

Okay. You go to bed. I'll find someone else to annoy... :8

I got a resident tiger, visits my back yard from time to time, we have an agreement, you don't bother me and I won't take a shovel to you, works well :) so far anyway, still have to keep an eye out, walked up to him near the back shed once, about 1 metre away, I was there about 20 seconds before he moved off, slow and silent :eek:

They dont run(slither) from noise. I accidentally killed a red belly this morning on the ride on mower. I didnt see him until he came out in peices.

I don't mind the red belly, there fairly placid. Last summer while walking through the Lerderderg i almost stood on one, got with in a couple of feet, it just froze and so did i. I slowly walked back but there was nowhere to get around, so i had to walk back but it was gone. there's a lot of red bellys in the Lerdy.

Got plenty of red bellys and a few cpperheads around my area and your right their quite placid . Tigers though are a different matter . Luckily we don't have browns so I don't have at experience with them but by all accounts pretty nasty. Snake bite stats are mostly from them I think. At the end of the day gaiters probably should be looked at like insurance, hope ya never need it but can save your ass if you do.

Yeah I just ordered over the net, the 100 bucks ones horse posted. Better being safe than sorry.

I ordered a pair of gators from Reeds Prospecting today. Did a fair bit of research and theses seem to be the best if you want no metal in them (for using a detector)

got these gators ,made very sturdy ,from gympie aussie disposals store for $15
1444912412_detecting_gear_10_10_2015.jpg

Well, after 8 years as an infantry soldier, 5 years as a fishing guide, and the whole time as a rec shooter, ive really only had 2 close calls, one was an eastern brown that I thought I would scare away with a small brach, but instead, it stood its ground, reared up and formed an S and had a go at me, I (I ran away, bravely) and the 2nd time, I was sitting down having a smoke, and I was about to butt it out on the ground, when I noticed that id sat down next to a death adder. But apert from those 2 times, ive never been close to being bitten by the many snakes ive crossed paths with.

Glad I made the decision to get some gators as of late I've been a bit paranoid about detecting. The other day I wanted to get to a couple of old mine shafts half way down a gully but the grass was about 3 feet long and I had to step over 2 or 3 fallen trees. All the time thinking I bet there's a tiger here somewhere. At least now with gators and some thick leather boots it should make detecting over grown areas a little less stressful. I think some areas where visability is limited foot and leg protection is important.

Latest posts