Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ronsfolly said:
I have been considering these:

[video=480,360][/video]

i looked at those too but they wont cover the upper part of my foot

He has leather boots on , my prospecting boots are only nylon / gortex hiking boots , the snake guardz have the front cover which will give me a bit more protection.

If i get bitten through them and die and will let you know they didnt work :D

I hate them all so so much with a passion! Working as a landscaper on Property's around the Dural and annangrove area the bastards would always pop up. Reds and browns. Worst is in spring cos they don't want to move on they mostly stand their ground. Best advice is a 13t komatsu. Lol. Lots of noise and big thuds I found to be pretty good.

do you remember the teenager who died from a death adder up around maralya a couple of years ago , apparently they thought it was a blue tongue lizard and went in for a closer look only to find it wasnt.

( not that far away from Dural )

1376399711_image.jpg

Ryan27 said:
bluetongue photo

easy mistake to make if its covered with leaves

the stumpy body and tail is "kind of like a death adder" if those are the only bits you can see

very sad.

its a shame that snakebite deaths are not recorded in the statistics if they occur from handling a snake or from "human error"

1376402281_death_adder.jpg

Maybe someone could start a snake identification topic with various information such as strike distance, speed, traits etc. Who up for the task?

Having had a few run ins with snakes over the years the Eastern Brown, in Spring, is the one that gives me the irrits the most, aggressive is an understatement with some of them. Red belly blacks are pretty shy and usually avoid you, even if you walk next to them, a huge tiger snake in tassie was good for me to get a few nice pics of, he wasnt interested that i was around him. I wasnt going to handle him or step on him so i was pretty safe. I got tagged by a copper head in the late 70's and that was enough to do me for a lifetime, my fault for stepping on him.

My wife hates the fact that i chase snakes and goannas with a camera trying to get a good shot.

Heres my Tassie Tiger
tassietiger.jpg

Generally snakes will leave you alone unless cornered, other than that they try and escape.

In Australia our snakes only have small fangs, unlike the pit vipers like the rattle snake in the U.S.A, so if your well protected the bite shouldn't penetrate your clothing, so walking around in the bush in shorts and thongs should be avoided. :D

Most commonly seen here in Victoria
The Eastern Brown becomes aggressive in Spring, breeding season etc etc but in general doesnt want conflict unless they cant find a way past you.

Red Belly Black is a pretty shy snake and will usually avoid any confrontation.

Tiger snake usually has one or 2 dry bites when attacking, and doesnt want confrontation.

Copper Head usually found in the forests and near water, will give you a bite if cornered, they also make you pretty sick as my bite did after standing on one.

Most people get bitten handling snakes or trying to corner them and or stepping on one with out good protection, putting your hand into the scrub without looking 1st is a good way to get tagged.

Leave them alone and watch where your walking, if you see one just stand still and let it go on its way.

Yeah - he was just going to get to where he had to go & no damn snake was gonna stop or slow him down :lol:

I got tagged by a brown last summer, thankfully i was lucky enough to be bitten at the exact spot where i received a full depth chemical burn many years ago, and the venom just trickled out, should really look into a set myself...

If you wear long trousers and solid shoes/boots you should be ok, our venomous snakes have reasonably short fangs.

Most people get bitten by trying to catch the snake or try to kill them.

Saying this I am not an expert in this field. :cool:

Cheers

Im no expert either but will be reading up on them and paying attention when out in the bush. I was thinking about playing some BOOF BOOF music whilst out walking, maybe that might help in keepin them alert of my presence.... just a thought.

At the moment they are out and about up in Nth QLD... local news already issued alerts a month ago as they are coming out, ive seen some tails disappear into the grass along some tracks recently and stepped over one at night! gotta get some better glasses!
Also there is some very large pythons up here that stretch across the road and then some, but they are harmless, just pretty scary looking.

where i live out in the bush this year i have already had 4 brown's 2 red belly blacks and 2 ti-pan's from what i have found with experience with the snakes that were around my house is that the king brown isn't to bad as-long you keep ur distance normally they will try and leave when they see you.
Red bellied blacks are pretty docile they just lay there and do there own thing. but the ti-pans are the ones to watch i have had both snakes have a go at me i was walking past the water tank and it was hanging out of the hollowed stump lucky i seen it in the corner of my eye or i think it would of got me and the other one was next to the letter box that one actually chased me for a bit. so i went to the liberty and chased it back with the 12ga i normally would leave the snakes alone but when you have twin toddlers that are picking up everything they see on the ground its a different story let alone being 40 km from the closest town. and on a another note them snake repellers don't work the best thing i have come across is is bird netting you get from bunnings put some around the areas you move around a lot and the snakes will get caught in it and can not get out i dont kill pythons or the black headed python because they eat other poisons snakes which is a bonus i will probably cop a bit of slack saying that i kill snakes in and around my home but my children are more important to me each to there own i suppose. back to topic i wear my old navy boots loose fitting thick jeans and walk heavy footed . :)

adamaus said:
where i live out in the bush this year i have already had 4 brown's 2 red belly blacks and 2 ti-pan's from what i have found with experience with the snakes that were around my house is that the king brown isn't to bad as-long you keep ur distance normally they will try and leave when they see you.
Red bellied blacks are pretty docile they just lay there and do there own thing. but the ti-pans are the ones to watch i have had both snakes have a go at me i was walking past the water tank and it was hanging out of the hollowed stump lucky i seen it in the corner of my eye or i think it would of got me and the other one was next to the letter box that one actually chased me for a bit. so i went to the liberty and chased it back with the 12ga i normally would leave the snakes alone but when you have twin toddlers that are picking up everything they see on the ground its a different story let alone being 40 km from the closest town. and on a another note them snake repellers don't work the best thing i have come across is is bird netting you get from bunnings put some around the areas you move around a lot and the snakes will get caught in it and can not get out i dont kill pythons or the black headed python because they eat other poisons snakes which is a bonus i will probably cop a bit of slack saying that i kill snakes in and around my home but my children are more important to me each to there own i suppose. back to topic i wear my old navy boots loose fitting thick jeans and walk heavy footed . :)

I'm from south oz so all we encounter here are the common browns, tigers, copperheads, and red bellied blacks. I wear loose fitting jeans and boots if I'm going to be tromping through the bush. As an outdoors man I see hundreds of snakes around and only once have I felt threatened and that was in far north Queensland.

Had an encounter with a good size taipan while i was out hiking a trail in lakefield national park. My girlfriend was ahead of me and i caught wind of the taipan laying across a freshly mowed trail at the start of our circuit walk. I grabbed her by the arm and dragged her back as she hadn't even take notice of what she was about the tread on.

As I pulled her back the taipan raised up and arched back as though to strike and held it's position while I was out of striking range. I figured we'll just wait for it to calm down and move off the trail. I managed to snap a photo or two as we waited. Then the next thing that happened made me shit a brick.

Instead of moving on it decided to chase us down! We were chased as far as the car park (30 odd meters before she gave up and then she stopped and waited there in an aggressive stance. Here's a photo I captured of the said snake just before she gave chase. Perhaps this was just an aggro example of the species.

11299392314_a4076a17b1_b.jpg

Latest posts