Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
backcreek said:

Thanks for the link Mick...have to check that one out....quite often carry the hi-banker a long way down the stream and come across plenty of the buggers....mostly only red bellies and they're pretty timid....trousers sound like a good insurance policy...Cheers Wal. :)

WalnLiz said:
You crack me up sometimes Lbg...to the point where it wouldn't surprise me to actually see you wearing those thongs out in a thistle laden paddock. cheers mate. and don't test those snake socks with your shot gun....Cheers Wal. :)

Hey mate
I havnt found any one game enough to
Shoot my shins with a shot gun at 20 feet away
Yet :lol:
So guess I'll just wait for a big tiger to hang off em for a comparison
But I reckon they could with stand any snake that gives em a couple of strikes
As for cracking you up
I reckon maybe I've spent to much time alone in the bush :lol:

that's a pretty convincing vid Mick...thanks for sharing. I've already come across 2 death adders...one out back of Mogo and one at Nerrigundah. Might look into a set for next summer.cheers Wal. :)

Lbg dreamer said:
WalnLiz said:
You crack me up sometimes Lbg...to the point where it wouldn't surprise me to actually see you wearing those thongs out in a thistle laden paddock. cheers mate. and don't test those snake socks with your shot gun....Cheers Wal. :)

Hey mate
I havnt found any one game enough to
Shoot my shins with a shot gun at 20 feet away
Yet :lol:
So guess I'll just wait for a big tiger to hang off em for a comparison
But I reckon they could with stand any snake that gives em a couple of strikes
As for cracking you up
I reckon maybe I've spent to much time alone in the bush :lol:

If ever you need a bit of company out there in the bush just send me a PM....I would try not to spend too much time rolling around on the ground laughing,for fear of getting bit by one of those snakes....Cheers Wal. :)

So far my Snake Guardz are untested (I think of them as insurance) but Snake Guardz come highly recommended by a few mates in remote WA places who have accidentally bumped into cranky brown snakes.

One of these WA mates reckons the detector (when on) seems to actually attract snakes if they are close nearby - or maybe its him that is the attraction :)
Anyone else have thoughts about this snake/detector theory?

I recently bought a pair of gaiters from the Tamworth disposals. I was heading up to Hanging Rock solo and without phone reception so wanted protection. Did a search on them and they are the gaiters that are standard issue to British military forces. Dunno if that means squat but I am pretty sure a British soldier going down as a result of a snake bite in a remote desert somewhere is not high on their 'wish' list!

$37, seem pretty tough. Comfortable enough that I don't notice they are on any more.

$T2eC16dHJHoE9n3KgJIKBRbu41E,J!~~60_12.JPG

Can any snake experts give me the headsup on gaiters ?

I have seen oilskin / canvas type gaiters but i thought that bigger snakes would bite right through them ?

i heard that death adders have very fine fangs but what about browns and tigers ?

I was going to try and fine some hard plastic ones ?

I'll be watching this post very closely. My partner and his dad are heading out to Barraba for Father's Day weekend and that area is notorious for King Browns. Thanks for this post!

I have seen a few people wearing gaiters that looked great, but most i have seen in the shops, like you said headsup, did not seem like they would do a good job. At the moment i use my trusty gumboots 90% of the time, i figure i make one hell of a noise in them and if a snake does strike i have a chance that he my just get the boot not me :eek:

Nugget said:
I regularly use Sea to Summit (Quagmire Canvas) Gaiters, they cost around $70-$80. These will protect against bites from smaller snakes but I'm not so sure about the big ones. Long pants are a must when trekking out in the bush because when a snake strikes it quickly shuts it's mouth on contact, so if your wearing jeans or something there's a good chance its not going to bite your leg, but this will come down to type and size of the snake.

While I haven't been unfortunate enough to be bitten yet, I wear gaiters most of the time and have around 60-70% trust in them against an average size snake :lol:. I also try to make plenty of noise by scrubbing the coil along the ground.

Nugget.

I just won't walk though long grass and be very careful around water sources in the warmer months. I make a lot thuds and thumps while detecting, we have a lot of Browns here too, just got to watch where you walk in the bush. I'm careful around rocky areas too with heaps of hidey holes.

Eastern Browns coming into season soon here in Vic, September October they are pretty aggressive due to breeding season.

I got tagged by a Copper Head in the late 70's near Dunkeld, i was sick every morning due to an over active bile duct for over 20years, caused by the venom.

One morning i woke up and it was all over, no more feeling sick :D

I only saw one large red belly black last season and generally they wont strike, but i guarantee i went close to plenty of them of all brands.

I have been thinking about a set of good gators from this season on.

Gaiters are a must especially in spring. Every season I have an encounter with a snake. Mostly Browns. I have had them go over my foot , under my foot and between my legs. Browns have small fangs that curve backwards. Most strikes won't penetrate past denim. However Gaiters will give you peace of mind.
One day I found myself standing in the middle of a Red belly black snake nest. I don't know how I didn't see them, must have been day dreaming or something ?
I looked down and I was straddled across two rocks with a four foot black below. Naturally I froze ! I looked around for an escape route. Saw another then another then another, the rocks were riddled with Snakes . I also noticed snake skins galore.
Now when I see snake skins, I pay attention.

what a joke . i posted a question on the "aussie pythons " herpatology forum asking what is the best type of gaitors for aussie snakes

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/private.php

they deleted my post

i posted again asking why they deleted my post , they banned me for " breach of advertising rules "

i sent a message to the administrator who replied saying " its not the kind of place to ask questions about snake gaitors "

what kind of *wits are they ?

Redfin said:
That is funny HU.
Throw "snake gaitors" into google and guess who pops up
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/chit-chat-39/snake-proof-gaiters-103011/

thats exactly how i found their site - i googled snake gaitors

maybe the real cause of my being banned is that one of the members there appears to sell ... guess what - gaitors

I dont want to buy his gaitors (made in USA for american snakes ) unless someone can tell me they are 100 % foolproof against ours too.

anyway i just ordered a pair of snake guardz from Nuggets Down Under ( $ 90 + $ 6.80 delivery )

oooops , do i get banned from PA for breach of advertising rules ?

LOL ! i think i am safe here. :D

Latest posts