Small car camper trailer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a small camper trailer I can tow with my Jimny for prospecting adventures and am still looking for ideas at the moment. It's very difficult to find something lightweight enough to tow unbraked (Under 200kg) and it'd be very helpful if anyone had any ideas or knows of a manufacturer of small car camper trailers so I can make the right choice. Thanks for any input.

Small 6x4 or 7x5 box trailer, get a tubular A Frame made up with a canvas top. ie a tent in a trailer. Perhaps a small awning for the cooking.

I did a Google, most 6x4 box trailers weigh near 200kg empty. The lightest I found was 160kg (a brief look see) By the time you load it with the camper you will be over 200kg.

According to the Suzuki Jimny Specs (current) they have a 350kg un-braked limit and 1300 braked with a ball of 75kg.

So, again, not enough info re the year model etc, if it is different to current specs.......to give any kind of qualified response.... :)

Oztrail 6 on braked trailer.

PM if interested

1458554705_image.jpg

Edit." Forgot to say it is a proven gold-finding rig :D

I can't post pictures Unfortuanally but I built a 6x4 box trailer with parallel
bearings and 10" electric drum with suzuki PCD hubs, stock jimny rims with
750r15 tyres also Fitted a hinged lid and bolted a roof top tent to it. All up weight
when loaded with 3 weeks worth of food and camping gear plus 200L of fuel is
around 550kg and my jimny tows it without issue. Every year I do a 12000km trip with the trailer.

There are lots of suzuki sized camper trailer and caravan builds in the auszookers forum

Jimny unbraked weight is under 350kg and depending on the model can tow up to 1300kg braked.
I would put brakes on any trailer that a sierra or jimny tows. They will tow ok unbraked but will be on the limit with stopping power

Thanks for all the ideas. Sorry for leaving out the model specifics.
2015 Jimny
Towing is 350kg unbraked as already mentioned

Wanting to keep the trailer lightweight is more a matter of preserving the Jimny, keeping fuel consumption down etc. Basically I've been thinking if I can have a fitted camper trailer under 200kg then the 150kg payload will be taken up by water, equipment etc and I'll probably remove the back seat in the jimny and store any excess there.

I don't really want to build a trailer myself as I'm not set up to do so but actually the idea did lead me to these flat pack trailers online. Not sure how well they do in aussie conditions.

http://www.erdetrailers.com.au/Daxara/reguliere198F.html

Shep said:
Jimny unbraked weight is under 350kg and depending on the model can tow up to 1300kg braked.
I would put brakes on any trailer that a sierra or jimny tows. They will tow ok unbraked but will be on the limit with stopping power

Ideally I'd like one with brakes but seems most manufacturers so far that offer featherweight trailers don't offer brakes until you move up in size. Do you do much outback trips with the jimny? Thinking of heading out the goldfields of WA in mine.

I live in the NT and the trailer goes all over the place. I tow it with a 2013 jimny

I bought one of these trailers,they are bolted together,all I can say they are great.
You could make a strong light weight camper with a unit like this.

Regards Frank

Latest posts