Sluicing Mary r Gympie legal or illegal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Wanting to give Mary r Gympie a go with the sluice but not sure if its legal or not.Have read posts of people who have been there and done well.But not keen on braking any laws or getting any fines. Any information on this area would be greatly appreciated.Cheers.

G'day Smoky,
I was at the Mary River in Gympie today and I tried out my homemade backpack sluice. It's totally portable and uses river flow so pretty easy to operate. Can't see any reason why a 'hand operated' sluice can't be used.

Got a few specks of gold and some flour gold.

I am still new at this so still working out what to do.
cheers

Hi Mikeb05
Thanks for the info....
I know a few of the boys from Gympie go there and i was pretty sure they wouldn't go there if it was illegal.
I Just wanted to check with other forum members as QLD prospecting rules and regulations can be a bit confusing on where you can and can't did. Good to hear you got some gold.... it all adds up.?

yeh its illegal, only allowed to prospect in Deep creek the designated area and in between the yellow posts. It sucks really, its the whole thing with Qld we hardly have anywhere to go. Guess the Govt has to look after their stakes in the large gold companies as they have the rights for everywhere else, D'Agulair pretty much has most of Qld locked up.

Cheers jaskar.....Thought it might be illegal.?..have been going back to deep creek lately and been getting enough to keep me keen.....
Will just have to keep too the area i know...Cheers?

Latest posts