Sluice To Highbanker Home Conversion

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syndyne

Shaun Galman
Reaction score
Hi all,

Some absolutely awesome ideas and builds on here! I'll throw in my own little project that came to fruition almost a year ago to the day.

After using the Angus Mackirk sluices for a couple of years now with a great ease of use (coming from the old Fred Sims designed aluminum banjo sluice after purchasing what I think were some of his first prototypes down at Adelong when we met him there in the very early 80's) I looked into the AM Boss Sluice for a slightly faster feed rate. Once it arrived I had the idea that it may make a pretty decent highbanker. So I did a few weeks of research and drew up several plan variations and narrowed it down to something portable and very light that can be broken down enough to fit in our large tool box that we carry all the gold gear in safely.

With this in mind I whipped up a frame that fit the sluice with no attachment. This allows us to just take the sluice out, empty it into a pan for clean-up then throw it back in to keep working if needed. I had a couple of metres of 1/2 inch (12mm) dia. x 1/8 (2.5mm) thick box channel so I welded it up and added the legs/leg brackets. Frame done.
I drew up some rough plans for the boiler box, headed to Albury meet up with my friends, got some 1/8" aluminum sheet, 1/2" expanded mesh and the pipes from Bunnings -boy they make life easy there as far as these projects go! Nothing like that out this way.

We then sat down, exchanged thoughts and laid it all out. After several coffee's, some TIG work, drilling and filing over four hours or so we were all done. (The boys I grew up with here are both first class ally and stainless welders now living in Albury). That was a nice bonus that I really appreciate now as the TIG welding alone would've cost me a packet.

We made the boiler box simply clip on the back of the sluice with hooks and we attached an aluminum shelf guide with a stainless hinge as a front clipping section which turned out to allow plenty of angle adjustment of the boiler box. We supported that with a piece of right angle to easily spread the weight of anything in the boiler box evenly across the sluice frame. Then I just hold the water pipes in place with removable cable ties. We use a Tanaka TCP-25B 110L/min 2stroke pump and 60feet of marine flex hose. I normally only run the pump about half throttle.

The last shot was taken of my father and I doing initial testing on the Buckland River. Worked like a beauty. We never saw any gold get past the fourth riffle with a decently fast feed rate. Over the weeks we moved around and worked different towns with varying conditions like heavy clay, a lot of black sands etc. and had no dramas at all.

Any and all thoughts/comments are highly appreciated.

1365735678_hbanker1.jpg

1365736705_hbanker2.jpg

1365737904_hbanker3.jpg

1365737927_hbanker4.jpg

1365737952_hbanker5.jpg

1365737976_hbanker6.jpg

Cheers,
Shauno.

*Edited for spelling correction

Mate that looks the goods it looks great. I have an AM Explorer on it's way and looking forward to using it asap. They are very easy to operate and clean up. Good luck with the HB in the future.Cheers Rick

kemjak57 said:
Mate that looks the goods it looks great. I have an AM Explorer on it's way and looking forward to using it asap. They are very easy to operate and clean up. Good luck with the HB in the future.Cheers Rick

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the kind words. We also use the AM Explorer (which came with the detachable flare from the Alaskan model back in the day) and the much smaller AM grub steak flared sluice. Both excellent pieces of gear to use. On a trip in 2010 I had a mates dog (border collie) walk right through the small grub steak sluice while we were working and the gold didn't even budge.

I went to the AM brand after many months of unsuccessful attempts at getting the Le Trap Sluice sent over from the US. They wouldn't ship a single Le Trap over here due to the high shipping cost which ran at almost double the cost of the sluice. I wish I had a vacuum forming machine as I'd simply make them myself :)

Cheers,
Shauno.

I usually try to buy Aussie but I saved $80 by getting one from gotnuggets.com. I'd prefer not to do that but $80 is a big saving, It's a tank of diesel in the ute that gets me to The Palmer River with Palmer Digger for a weekend. Cheers

Hi all,

Shauno, great photos mate :) I've got an AM Predator 3 coming soon thats likely to get a simular treatment/makeover your explorer did. Thanks for sharing your idea mate.

Jim & Kerrie

+1 for thinking out of the box mate.
Nice and light and gets the gold. Ticks all the boxes for me.
Cheers
Chris

Well done! Looks very neat.

I been thinking of doing the same sort of thing for my AM Explorer but was hesitant regarding surges of the water as you shovel in. How has that been for you?

:D nice work would cost /???? lots to buy that , looks like a performer. :D

Ps,where can u go up at the ridge to try it out,interested because I go to ridge every 3-4 mths would be bringing a pan in the car.

Ag Man said:
Well done! Looks very neat.

I been thinking of doing the same sort of thing for my AM Explorer but was hesitant regarding surges of the water as you shovel in. How has that been for you?

Hi Ag Man,

We were concerned about the water flushing through after a shovel full is dumped in though, it didn't really seem to get the gold to shift from the riffles. I'm still about to add a piece under the boiler box mesh that will correct any issues it may have with that -just to be on the safe side. It will be a piece of rubber or aluminum that should just sit under the mesh and angle it more to the rear centre of the slick plate with enough room left so it doesn't block up.

If you've caught D'arcy Cooper's recent prospecting series on YouTube then you'll see where this nifty little idea came from. I wondered what he had installed under there until realising that he has zero water cutback when dumping a shovel or bucket load into the boiler box. Keeps that flow rate nice and even :)

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Prospector steve said:
:D nice work would cost /???? lots to buy that , looks like a performer. :D

Ps,where can u go up at the ridge to try it out,interested because I go to ridge every 3-4 mths would be bringing a pan in the car.

Hi Steve,

The cost was around $450 all up. The assembly/welding cost me nothing so you could probably add another $200 or so for any custom welding that may be needed. Not everyone's cup of tea. I like to try something a little different if I can. The new pump to go with it ran around $600.

Absolutely no need to bring a pan out here. No gold for at least 3-400k's or so in any direction. It's all sandstone/ironstone ridges (80-110mill year old Cretaceous Strata). The only thing you need up here is a good set of eyes for specking opal and the odd fossil out on the mullock dumps around the opal fields :)

Cheers,
Shauno.

Syndyne is that raised expanded mesh you have for the grizzly? if so did many rocks get jammed on it, I was going to use some for a grizzly on a small project.
Cheers
Skip

Hey Syndyne, do you have any further thoughts after using this configuration for a little while now and is there anything you would go back and change?

Cheers,
Nugget

Had the same idea here for a 3 in one sluice

as per photo for use with a pump

remove the end plate held on with nutserts and 3 machine screws and use it in the river when you have enough flow

or use it in a highbanker with a grizzly on top , the 10 inch aluminium extension protects the plastic sluice from being hammered too much with rocks and gives the water more time to break down clay and allow turbulence to settle while the rubber deadens the noise a bit .

1370499134_am_sluice_extension.jpg

Nugget said:
Looks good mate. How's it perform?

i only tried it with some nuggets at home which get caught in either the first or second riffle , didnt try it with fine gold yet.

the 2000 GPH pump is a perfect match for this 250 mm wide AM sluice.

The angus mckirk sluices have a good name for catching fine gold so all i have done is make the multi use adaptors for pump and HB . i cant see it having any issues.

The HB will have a longer grizzly than usual as i feel many HB's i have seen are too short in the grizzly and dont give enough wash time for the material , hoping i catch more gold this way

best wishes peepil

Thanks HeadsUp. Its got me thinking about doing something similar with my Grub Steak or EZ-Sluice :)

Nugget said:
Thanks HeadsUp. Its got me thinking about doing something similar with my Grub Steak or EZ-Sluice :)

both the grub steak and ezi sluice look quite narrow so the shovels full of material might cause surges of unwashed material and potentially lose gold , maybe aim for a wider sluice ?

Wal might offer better advice on that than me , choose an AM sluice of the same width as other Hb's out there and build the rest around that

depends if you plan to load it with a scoop or a shovel .

I think a complete highbanker with a wide AM sluice is still going to be very light

hereskip said:
Syndyne is that raised expanded mesh you have for the grizzly? if so did many rocks get jammed on it, I was going to use some for a grizzly on a small project.
Cheers
Skip

Hi Skip,

Apologies for the late reply.

Yes, that's half inch expanded mesh for the grizzly section. Running the mesh vertically keeps all rocks that may catch to a bare minimum. You'll always get something jammed in the mesh holes now and again but a quick scrape with fingers or the shovel dislodges any bits that get stuck.
1370505923_boiler_mesh.jpg

I initially had one inch expanded mesh but it was far too much for the sluice to handle as far as rock size goes and any sneaky bits of clay would just roll right through it. Changing to half inch mesh was perfect for this sluice. :)

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Latest posts