Sleeping Bag recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

A bit of a follow up to my earlier thread on swag recommendations....

Im now chasing some opinions on a sleeping bag.

Mine is getting old and probably not the warmest, so im going to use it as a doona and get another good sleeping bag.

Vic goldfields as we know gets pretty damn cold most of the year so i need something to cater for that.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks all

I bought an Oztrail cotton canvas -12 degree rated sleeping bag from Rays Outdoors for $150.00 about 4 - 5 months ago.

Absolutely awesome, warm, comfortable, heaps of room, has a full side zip and a separate end/bottom zip you can undo if your feet get hot.

1443445354_rps20150928_225436.jpg

Neo,

I have a "Roman" brand sleeping bag that is nylon inner and outer and 100% feather down, which is the inner insulating feathers of geese and ducks. It's Australian made but I'm not sure what it cost as it was issued to me (2011) to use in a place that is very cold and very sandy. It is commercially available and not just a special item for Defence/military.

So, I have never been cold in it and I don't use another blanket or quilt over the top of it. One of Peacekeeper's Top Tips here though, especially if you haven't spent a lot of time in the field, a good insulator between you and the ground or your air mattress or what ever you sleep on, especially in cold weather, is vital for retaining your body heat in a sleeping bag. As heat moves from a warm object into a cold object, if there is nothing to stop the heat from your body radiating into cold ground or the air in an inflatable mattress, your will get cold, even with a good quality sleeping bag.

Hope that helps you somewhat.

The Peacekeeper

A lot depends on your budget to determine how far you wish to go.

If your out in the VIC goldfields mid winter, you should have at least a -2 rated bag as a minimum.....preferably -5 rated or better!

MOST importantly, make sure its a hooded bag to cover your scone......34% of your body heat is lost through your uncovered head, especially while you sleep.

I use a hooded, -6 rated 'Hotham' snow bag and in mid winter with temps below zero, I sleep like a baby!

As peacekeeper says, its very important to insulate from the ground also.

Cheers ;)

I tossed up betweem the docs and the colemann big man went the bigman bit dearer $220 but opens up like a king doonah and rolls real tight. Its -10 and does the job. Budget and main temp will dictate you're choices mate ive got three but only one good one.

I just have a double swag the smaller type which single bed doonas fit straight into , if its cold either put it up on the ute back under a tarp or drag it closer to the fire or put another doona in it . Its that comfy I wake up and for a second or two I think im in bed at home.

The coleman big man is a great bag mate, -10 rated is soooo sweet and would make camping around Ballarat in winter seem like summer.

Nice choice Dusty but i should warn you its not a good idea to 'toss up' between bags especially while your in one!!

Baaahaawhaaa :p

Meta

I 2nd Doc Johnson, I have this bag also, mine came with an inner warm liner, with it it's -10 without -5 for when milder. Mine is the King for the length.

Oz trail is the best bag I've owned, I previously had a Roman and a couple of others before that.

Re cleaning, a good quality bag will have cleaning instructions on the tag, just follow them. Different bags are made of different materials and therefore different washing........

Thanks for the info,

Needed one for the trip last weekend so ducked out to BCF and grabbed a blackwolf samurai hooded, -10c.

Was toasty warm. Seems to be a good thing.

Jembaicumbene said:
Hi guys. A question what is the best way you found to clean your sleeping bag?

I dont clean mine i leave it in the sun open for a day or two. Thats the instructions on the bag. Should be a tag inside near your feet.

I like the idea of putting the bag out in the sun open for a day or two top points for that one. I also use a liner but find from time to time the bag dose need a clean. Its good to see different ideas. Thanks.

The kings from 4wdsupercenter is awesome, heavy duty and warm as toast highly recommended .
Cheers Booney. :Y:

Personally I would take the snowys one with a better temperature rating. It also depends on a few variables eg some feel the cold more than others, sleeping with clothes on or off, how hard your day was etc. It's not much fun trying to sleep freezing your arse off

PS: to make your bag last longer for warmth, don't store it rolled up, as it will lose its loft

Latest posts