Setec BM Pro install & Issue

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming that the firmware is to be but on the phone or tab and the app updates the device on the battery via Bluetooth. Be interested how it's done.

Main needs -

• Charge the van battery from the previous night.[/*]
  • Heat water for showering and dish washing[/*]
  • Cook Dinner[/*]

So, if I use the genny, I can charge the battery from it through the Projecta, which ensures full charge.

I can cook tea wherever possible with the microwave in <10 minutes. Which saves LPG.

My hot water system is duel gas/240VAC, so I can also heat water for the dishes and then for a shower using 240V, which also saves LPG.

In this way, my 3 way fridge, which is running on gas pretty well gets all of what I have on board. Stove tops and gas hot water chew gas much quicker than the fridge and I only have 2 x 4.5kg bottles.

I usually run the genny for 3 hours, but with the BM, I switch off when the battery is at 100%.

Water is another precious resource and I have found I can shower in 3-4 litres. Again process, I turn water on, get wet and wet down a scrunchy sponge, the tap is on only enough to get a weak constant spray. I then turn the water off, put shower gel on the scrunchy and wash all over (face last). Then turn water on and quickly rinse. I also have plastic bowl at the kitchen sink, that has a small amount of water in it at breakfast, in which I leave the dishes to discourage ants. So I only do the dishes after dinner once a day, again to save water. My van only has a 60 litre tank, I can make last 5-7 days. I carry 2 x 20 l jerry cans to get water and refill the tank when needed.

It's all about extending the time between re supply. When I'm away from the van during the day, the only thing using any resource is the LPG for the fridge. Without the diesel heater my 12 VDC use is about 10 AH, with it, it will be 20-25 amps, I won't know till I test it. (and about 1.5l of diesel for 12 hours comfort overnight.)

Food for thought, hope this helps...

Yep, I was wondering about the firmware upgrade process as well. If it is just the phone app then it may fix for me, but if in the BM Pro via Bluetooth, I would need to do that via Pendo,. Time will tell.

It is quite interesting to see the different ways that people use their resources in the camping facilities, as I do things quite differently, in what I consider to be "minimalist" power use. I only have a 2 way (12/240v) Engel fridge and I like it, as there is no need to worry about getting the van level enough for the fridge to operate. I rely more on the 240W of solar (and 240v mains when available) than the Honda, it has only been used to assist other campers whose geny failed or who flattened their battery system, and so far not used on my campervan in 3 years, although that is where it lives.

Regarding gas I only have 1 cylinder as that is all that fits, but I have done 2 extended around Oz trips in the last 3 years and didn't come close to emptying the 1 cylinder. Replaced for each trip of course.

Yes I have a microwave, but don't use it except when mains connected. All lighting is LEDs and all (van) cooking is done on gas stove.

Hot water is also gas only, but I only fire it up when cold won't do and usually leave water left in the kettle from making a hot drink to do the dishes. When out in the West Pilbara area the water was normally hot enough from the daily temp to not need to give it a boost. Also I try and shower outside the van where possible to avoid needing to use the highly mineralised water in the van, as the calcium crystals are a pain in the butt, clogging up taps and the like.

But, here is the kicker... I am travelling alone and don't have a partner to consider, so no need to consider the needs of a significant other.

I am keen to see the impact of the heater on diesel use, as I only have a 75L tank in the van.

Rob.

Rob, I have used a diesel heater before, I know it used 1.5 litres in 12 hours. That's running from say 7pm to 7am. I ran it at 22 deg from start till bedtime, when I dropped it to 15 deg. Ambient down to -3 some nights.

No condensation in the van at all and you can swing out of bed in the morning, naked, if so desired. Most of my free camping has been in S.A. and Vic. Most of the time the water is ok to put in the tank, but I do have the capability to filter before it goes in. From mains or Jerry.

BTW I never drink water from the tank, only for washing me and dishes. I carry purchased spring water for drinking and cooking, cos' I got fed up getting crook gut from water I'm not used to.

I have had a van with a 12VDC compressor fridge and prefer them, but this van came with a 3 way and the cost of replacing is more than I want to spend. I still have the Engel in the rear of the 4x4 as a backup.

Latest posts