Series I NF 16" round Spider Vs New Flat Wound coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm about to resurrect my Series I NF 16" round into service again, and got to wondering if anyone has done a comparison of this coil against the new flat wound 14" coils (NF or Coiltek)? I recall my 16" as being reasonably sensitive down to 1/2 g bits but use the size for bigger bits, deeper and wonder as to depth comparisons between them?

I don't have immediate access for my own comparison, but am interested to hear if anyone else may have traveled this path and would care to share their results?

My main area of interest is the GT, but happy to hear of results elsewhere....

Cheers

I just bought the 17x13 Evo coil and have been taking it out to some of my old patches. I have used a multitude of coils on these patches and have silenced the dirt..I tend to work the same grounds and patches until I cant squeeze out any more bits...and the last few were exactly that...fly specks..What i have observed is that most of the gold in these patches were found by older coils...my collection went from 20" Nuggetfinder Mono to the small sadie coil. So what do I think about the new flat wound coils...I say if you don't have many coils outside the standard 11" DD and Mono that came with your gpx..by all means by a flat would coil. But if you have an assortment of coils all ready and have used them on your patches....don't think if you by a new flat wound coil you will open up these patches..YOU WILL NOT !!!! Best way to find more gold is to go into new areas with your older coils....if you have them. ;)

in W.A. last year I found a patch of about 30 bits for just over an ounce with the 14 elite coiltek and was very pleased with that, but got to wondering if anything deeper might be there, so I went over with 18'' nugget finder and turned up nothing. most of the gold was consistently at about 10 inches down so I tend to think there was nothing there to find so I didn't prove anything. so the next time I was in the G.T. I went over my deep test targets and the 18'' won clearly.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did have the 17"x13" in my sights, but looks like my 17"x10", 16" & 20" NF's will be getting some more abuse before i retire them for the updates.

markgoldhunter, your experience in WA appears to parallel that of others i have read about, ie; shallow gold....glad to read the 18" got deeper for you though.

One more query though, are the new coils more, or less, susceptible to EMI?? I thought i read somewhere they are more tolerant where EMI is concerned, and where i have been working, it's consistent and changes direction and frankly, gives me a headache after a few hrs....so if they are better in that regard i may still grab one or two for that alone.

Cheers

I don't know why, but my 17x13" spoked Evo, 15" solid Evo and my 11" Detech ultra always run very stable in terms of EMI.

One of my customers had a couple of NF superlight coils, and when he got his 15" Evo he did some comparisons on undug targets.
Long story short, all the superlights were sold. I've personally not done any comparisons.

Gypsy,

As far as EMI, I have not seen any difference of the new ones having more EMI issues than the older coils. I did notice a significant difference in ground noise. I hunt areas of high clay concentrations....red soils and I am digging many more fanthom holes...even if I am in enhanced mode and lower my gain. Its so dang frustrating because it sounds so much like a target...but its not. I am not knocking these coils....all I am saying is that 500 bucks is 500 bucks...if you have a multitude of various size coils and you hit the patches with them...you pretty much got all the nuggets in the patch.

Auwanderer...lol, yeah, but i don't need a new coil to dig hot pockets, i do that now....(not often, but one or two do get me). Thankfully a few tynes through the ground is usually enough to break it up and reveal it for what it is.

Thanks for your feedback as well Nenad...as noted, i may be best served by hiring a few and gaining my own insights as to variances of the two types.

It's not that i am gung-ho for new coils, (i still have an XP in my sights for now), as i haven't had much use of the 16" and "fixing" it for use just made me think of comparative testing with the 14" and how they compare.

Thanks again for sharing folks...

Latest posts