Two weeks in the Golden Triangle - results

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just spent (on and off) two weeks in the triangle. Result was 21.9 grams (see hopeless pic). Most are nuggets with some being species with very small amounts of quartz matrix. I also did some testing of coils, using a new 12" round NF and ran it against the 14/9 NF. The 12" gave me an extra 6" on the left to right swing and marginally better depth. It was better for pinpointing and gave me overall greater ground coverage working on the 6" greater coverage per swing over the course of a 10 hour day. (and what bloke could do with another 6" - hellooo ladies). I found both NFs are suseptible to ground noise but this was overcome by conducting GB about every 6 steps (on very noisy ground) and became automatic in the end, plus I noticed by slowing the swing down the broad ground noise signals are just that - very broad and could be ignored. For those running monos in the GPX series and just starting out - try 'quiet' and use 'tracking' until you get used to the ground noise. The GPX is also the greatest early warning system for approaching jet aircraft. Where I detect it is under the Melb - Syd - Bris and international routes (Dunolly/Maryborough etc) and the electronic emmissions the jets make are noticeable. (Also ran the 11" DD that comes with the 4500. In iron reject mode, about 3, it was a lot of fun over very trashy ground that the monos cannot cope with. I found a patch of trash right in some excellent ground. It looked like old bits of tin had come down a hill with the wash - the DD in iron reject sorted it out no problems and some nice bits and pieces were to be found. Carrying the extra coil can be a drama over the course of a day but every now and then it pays off.

Due to the high winds which made the speaker difficult to hear at times, I also tested several under-chin head phones (not cheapies either). My advice? I am 6' 3" - take head phones, give to grandkids for their Ipods. The leads are way too short (given they plug into the 4500 battery which sits low down your back) if you are tall and I ended up having them behind my head, the leads are also very thin and delicate and the adaptors are another add-on I can do without. they kept getting caught up and in the way. Ok on clear ground but for those who go to the triangle, the bush has come back big-time. I ended up using with my old Koss headphones - never failed me.

Summary
New ground - did Ok and managed a couple of pieces from an old haunt that just keeps on giving.
Mullock heaps - only ran the coils as a test but was amazed at what the 14 and 12 both picked up. Not in the pic but about 20 little pieces, and I mean little. A lot of effort for not much weight but a lot of people enjoy the heaps and some good gold is still to be found in throw outs.
Reef workings (always on a hot day when I need a break) - ran the Xterra - some nice species that are being dollied up - probably about 2 to 3 grams I suppose in pannable gold.
Coins/tokens - nil.
Relics - the bowl end of an old diggers pipe that was poking its head out from some white pipeclay. usual collection of horseshoes/nails etc.
Research - found the remains of a small village, one small street by the looks of it, collapsed chimmneys, broken bottles, broken crockery etc. Left alone as Heritage Vic will be interested for their records.
Backburning - a lot is going on over good ground - watch out this weekend, the joint will be packed.
Flies Prediction - the flies are already a big issue. this summer will be a cracker - I may resort to a fly net.

back this weekend - have to keep on getting the old cabin ready for the fire season.

Good luck to you all and happy hunting.
1382915945_21grams.jpg

Nice finds mate, I'm looking forward to giving my detector a go out in those areas but feel I would probably need to upgrade before then

Beauty loamer!

Always interested in the coil info aspect of a few finds in an area so that was much appreciated.

I know what you mean when it comes to the EMI from aircraft. While using the 8x6 Mono NF at Stuart Town the 5000 would go off like a siren before we could even see them. The worst ones for it were normally the larger type Boeing's and Airbus' leaving Sydney ever hour or so. I would usually just turn the machine off and wait it out for the duration. It seemed to settle down and return to normal threshold once they had crossed overhead. It also happened as the Countrylink XPT train would pass through ST in the afternoons.

All the best out there!
Cheers,
Shauno.

Beagle - cabin is the best thing I ever did. Its on an old selectors block. powered, septic and rainwater. even have a the end of a few shallow leads that were ploughed over years ago. how those old blokes made a quid farming (which most did not) on these sized blocks amazes me. a few of the other blocks have the old small houses on them - they raised families etc on nothing.

Plenty of little pubs that have rooms for rent in the smaller townships around the Vic gold fields.

Thanks Loamer for your post re testing. I have had a 4500 for a few years and up until our recent trip to the west, hadn't had much luck. Never stop learning and your info was really helpful. It's now jotted down and in with my detecting gear.

Thanks for sharing Loamer. Another inspiring story for me to extract the excitement when I do finally find my 1st colour. Well done :D

Latest posts