SEQ gold prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey all i live in the glasshouse mts area and I'm new to gold prospecting i travel up to imbil and around the sunshine coast hinterlands but not to much would like to talk to and meet like minded people i have access to a private property at amamoor right at the back of the valley the creeks look very promising there haven't panned the creek yet just wondering if anyone has had any luck out that way.

Hi mate.
There is pockets of fine gold along Amamoor creek and a few more in the Mary river.
But you can still find little chunky bits at the Gympie GPA...IF you don't mind digging.And you have a little bit of luck on ya side. :Y: :beer:

Hi Shanan , like you I'm new to his also. Still at the early stages of gathering some info on likely places to have a pan in and around this area. From morayfield so within a couple of hours drive is good.

Hi Shanan,

Have you had any advice on panning in creeks which are in a council park? I am very new as well and am trying to get some guidance. The QLD law says the following.

fossicking is not permitted in:

national parks, conservation parks and high preservation areas
nominated waterways of wild river areas
state forests and timber reserves, except in the declared fossicking areas or general permission areas (see below)
other areas declared by regulation (these will be signposted).

Unoccupied land

No permission is required to fossick on unoccupied land, unless there has been a determination of native title.

Road reserves

No special permission is required to fossick on road reserves, but fossickers may only collect and not dig.

So National Parks and Conservation Parks, State forests and Timber reserves is a no brainer. But how do I know what is a
"nominated waterways of wild river" ?

Also what is the difference between a "Park" and a "Reserve" on a map. Am I allowed to fossick in either of those places?

And let's say I am just walking a creek using a detector , when does this become fossicking, or are they one in the same?

Sorry . probably some very stupid questions there.

Regards
Brett

Hi shanan gold, in your search bar type( fossisking rules and responsibilities-queensland) drop down menu( click same)tried the link it would not work, it will take you to all the info you will need good luck,if you have any question's contact the, small scale mining assessment hub at emerald on 07-49879350 ,all i will say about emerald is it depends on who answer's the phone,you will either learn something or be more confused than before you rang :(

Hi STC,

As suggested i contacted the dept via email. They replied very quickly.

Hi Brett,
Yes fossicking is allowed on unoccupied land (provided there is no determination of Native Title) including streams provided you do not exceed a depth of 0.5m.

Wild Rivers legislation has been repealed and I will talk to our team about removing this reference from our website.

In order to check whether your area of interest is unoccupied land, I would suggest utilising our mapping system georesglobe.information.qld.gov.au. This is a free service that runs on Chrome, Edge and Safari. You can zoom to your area of interest and add land parcel details (cadastre layer) and other layers to determine if there are any restrictions. If the area in question is within private property the written permission of landholder is required. This may include council land, where the council may maintain a public park but as the landholders, they are still required to give permission for fossicking activities.

I hope this assists, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

HI btuoo, if georesglobe does not load or run you may have to install internet xplorer ,i had to, to get the old mapping (minesonline) to work,i have not tried georeslobe on chrome ,edge or safari, i loaded it on internet explorer and it is working.The tech that done the work for me a couple of years ago, said it was chrome that was blocking the download, becouse it was not compatable,welcome to the qld government department's 8.( :lol:

Hi sand surfer.

looking at the maps on the site. It appears creeks are largely seperate from freehold land parcels. i.e there is "usually" a boundary where the creek flows and it runs between property boundaries. Provided they are not in state forest or national parks , are these creeks public land and therefore able to be fossicked?

Brett

they are public land but in queensland there is a big grey area,when it suits sunwater or whoever controls the river where you are, the property owner owns to the middle of the river, that way the powers to be don't have to spend any dollars on upkeep,but also when it suits government department's the property owner owns to the high water mark,to roughly find the high water mark ,walk up the bank in a straight line until your eyes are level with the top of the bank on the other side of the river ,where your feet are,it is roughly the high water mark (from your feet to the bank on the other side is crown/public land).If i am going to a new area, i print copy of the area to fossick and show the property owner the map and talk about any issues they might have about you fossicking there and state that you will be using the public road to access the river it keeps the peace ,if no road ask the property owner for access and show them the map where you intend to fossick and stay in the area mapped .It is best to see the property owners first, as they know all the little grey rules the government throw at them and because of these grey areas that's why the :poop: fights start.That's why i always see the property owners first