SDC2300 V2 updated version released

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But seriously, if that is all they have done then Minelab have really missed the boat on that one.

Surely to stick the electronics in an Equinox housing for ergonomics, proper WI-Fi/Bluetooth abilities that allow the use of aftermarket gear (just like the Equinox) and to make the use of the Coiltek coils so much easier wouldn't have been that hard.

Or at least tell mugs like me why that isn't possible. Maybe there is a good reason but it would be nice to why.

NE.

A center mount coil and decent armrest would fix the ergonomics in my opinion.
Some sort of uprade to stop wind and emi warbles,
Bluetooth wireless headphone capibuilities,
Would all be great.

I bet everyone that bought one after they jacked the price up $1000 will be super impressed that there is now a series 2 :poop:

nowthat i have looked it up theres nothing to worry about, its not a series 2, its just got factory mods copying what sdc users have been doing for 10 years..

What a let down :/ , bluetooth or maybe a normal headphone jack would have been better,
The battery pack should stop any need for electrical tape on batteries with the added bonus you will have to buy from minlab i guess,
The arm rest does look much better,
If they made the coil center mount :idea: the knuckle wouldnt need protecting , plus the coil would naturally lay flat when digging and help keep the sdc upright and not be sucking signals in from mid air.

Poor attempt of a upgrade , we have all been doing those mods for yonks.....

Agree with all the above statements.

Not a massive fan of the C cell batteries but Im not sold on Li ion battery replacement. The gpx style is the best of both worlds and much better system.

My old fisher takes 4xAA and I much prefer that to the Nox with plug in, once its flat its recharge, but having spare alkaline and rechargables for the old detector is better.

Like this weekend coming, if you camped you have to charge after dark to go the next day, as compared to chucking in 4 charged C cells @approx $60. With the battery in the housing you're stuck charging or detecting, you cant do both.

The coil change thing is just silly, obviously keeping it waterproof and foldable is the main reason they havent released coils, but they would certainly sell more if they did. Right now with the Coiltek kit and aftermarket you get choice, PLUS the centre mount which is much nicer to use imo.

So close, but yet so far away.

At least repairs will continue to stay current for a while longer.

Northeast said:
But seriously, if that is all they have done then Minelab have really missed the boat on that one.

Surely to stick the electronics in an Equinox housing for ergonomics, proper WI-Fi/Bluetooth abilities that allow the use of aftermarket gear (just like the Equinox) and to make the use of the Coiltek coils so much easier wouldn't have been that hard.

Or at least tell mugs like me why that isn't possible. Maybe there is a good reason but it would be nice to why.

NE.
No they haven't ,missed the boat at all....they just caught a faster one.
The battery problem...fixed :Y:
Arm cuff...fixed :Y:
Knuckle joint protection....fixed :Y:
Having to use a headphone patch lead....fixed :Y:

All they did was fix a few simple bug bears and included a couple things that many people went out and bought and brought it to market with a more attractive price.
Clever move actually. They just made what's possibly one of their best selling gold machine even more attractive.

Not everyone wants it in an Equinox housing or need wifi or blue tooth. The SDC when folded is a wickedly rugged little unit that takes an absolute pounding. I'd kill an Equinox.

As for why etc? try ringing them and asking. ML owes nobody an explanation of why they do or don't do things.

Anyone else spot this?
1591091987_img_20200602_195858.jpg

All metal, Iron reject, and segment discrimination?

OldGT said:
Maybe the battery pack will be removable, perhaps Ive jumped the gun.
From what I understand the batteries are in a removable housing and will still need to be charged as normal. Much like the after market fix people are doing now.

The good thing is as far as I can see, things like the new battery set up, the knuckle protection and probably the new cuff design should all be able to be retro fitted to earlier units.

I may be wrong in my first post about the headphone patch lead fix. It may be just a new design of headphones and may still have the crappy fitting for water proofing needs.

madtuna said:
No they haven't ,missed the boat at all....they just caught a faster one.
The battery problem...fixed :Y:
Arm cuff...fixed :Y:
Knuckle joint protection....fixed :Y:
Having to use a headphone patch lead....fixed :Y:

The need for a headphone patch lead doesn't appear to have changed. If they'd switched to a phono plug socket, the machine wouldn't still be waterproof to 3m.

MT - you make some good points in that they have fixed at the factory what people have been having to fix after buying. So yes, I suppose it is kudos to Minelab.

And I do agree that they are a compact and rugged unit and many take full advantage of that by sticking them in a back pack or in the box on the front of a quad and head off into the blue yonder. But, I would wager money that most SDC's are not required to be rugged and they are not required to be waterproof to 10 feet. The SDC in all the rivers near my location (and probably many salt water locations) is just a nightmare as it is simply TOO GOOD at picking up targets and is a headache to use. Rusted buckets, sinkers, aluminium cans in a thousand pieces - you simply can't dig everything in a river around a populated area.

So whilst I recognise that they have improved the SDC for some and keeping it in the current format for some is worthwhile my guess is the majority would really benefit from a lighter weight, better balanced, improved speaker and Wire Free audio components, easier to use aftermarket coils SDC unit.

Best of both worlds - keep the old and bring in the new ;)

Maybe the tea lady at Minelab finally got her say. All good improvements I reckon. As Madtuna stated, not everyone wants a delicate little bling machine that won't survive the extreme enviroments that some of are are used to. Just remember that it is an F3 Compact modified for gold detecting. The fold away design was meant to outlast the handfisted military operators, not latte drinking suburbanites that only go detecting once in a blue moon.

Are these new improvements able to be retrofitted to the standard SDC?

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Maybe the tea lady at Minelab finally got her say. All good improvements I reckon. As Madtuna stated, not everyone wants a delicate little bling machine that won't survive the extreme enviroments that some of are are used to. Just remember that it is an F3 Compact modified for gold detecting. The fold away design was meant to outlast the handfisted military operators, not latte drinking suburbanites that only go detecting once in a blue moon.

Are these new improvements able to be retrofitted to the standard SDC?

Cheers

Doug

But they are the ones that will buy the most :lol:

I see it from a slightly different perspective. It has heaps of ergonomic faults but by gee its simple to use and is portable. At the end of the day we dont need to buy one but we do because it does a good job on small gold. The company sells heaps of them so why change? The biggest problem is that there is not a lot of competition in that segment of the market. If another company produced a similar detector you may find that upgrades would be forthcoming.

mbasko said:
OldGT said:
Anyone else spot this?
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/10069/1591091987_img_20200602_195858.jpg

All metal, Iron reject, and segment discrimination?

Interesting....

Can't see anything in the write up re: discrimination - would guess that would be at the top of the list of new improvements.

I am guessing it is a mistake by the marketing dept and is meant for another detector. But also can't see any other Minelab unit with 29 segment discrim - maybe that is one of the other 5 new things coming to market...? Was this an intentional leak to get tongue's wagging or an oversight by the work experience kid? :playful:

what is the current thinking on best aftermarket coil with increased size to get a bigger swing coverage and more depth without losing sensitivity ?

what is there apart from Coiltek Gold Extreme ?

Latest posts