SDC2300 at Tibooburra

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got back yesterday from 4 days at Tipaburra. I went with a few members of a detector club, (Southern Seekers) from Adelaide and had a great time looking around the many places where gold was found, which is just about everywhere and anywhere around the town.

I found 15 tiny nuggets and 3 specimens which is the first gold I have so far found. I got some good advice from club members on how to setup and even won a bunjee cord which I desperately needed for long periods of detector use. I am new to detecting for gold so made a few beginners mistakes initially like losing a couple of pieces of small gold while digging them up and and pinpointing them. My technique quickly improved, (it needed to) and I eventually worked out a system with a scoop that allowed me to collect them.

The SD2300 was so easy to use, basically switch on and go with no noise or false triggering. Ground balance worked without needing to press the quick balance button and threshold only needed to be set once. Only when demonstrating in the caravan park to a guy interested in buying one did I need to use noise cancel to stop a little background noise from interfering.

I found single pieces of small lead shot down to 10" in red sandy clay around the creeks in the gully's and found an unbelievably small nugget which weighed in at 0.008g. This piece was weighed today on my A&D FX 120i scale which has a resolution of 0.001g. Must be a record of some kind, (smallest ever found?) as when I was getting down to the final pieces of sand in my scoop it was the larger of the 4 remaining "sand" grains left. To find it I scraped the surface gravel off with my pick and the small but sharp signal was still present in the ground. I scraped the surface soil off, (maybe 1/4") and scooped it up a very slowly got down to the final 4 grains off sand and found it. Great confidence boost for my new detecting skills!

All the small gold gave off clear and sharp low volume signals when searching and much louder signals as I got closer to them. I found the specimens in dark brown sandstone and even one still attached in iron stone to a large 10" cube of quartz. Found the little nuggets just under the surface ironstone and quartz gravel and down to 4" deep under the surface stone cover. Did not find a single hot rock in the 4 days I was there but others did with a variety of detectors including the ML5000. My conclusion is that I made the right choice for my usage and it was just so easy to use. It really needs a rear stand of some sort so it stays upright when you put it down to pinpoint with your scoop. I had to lay the coil flat every time on the hill slopes and even on flat ground to stop it from tipping onto its side.

Ian

The tiny "fly spot" above the 5 cent piece is the 0.008g "nugget"

Impressive results Ian. I can't believe you picked up that tiny little piece with it :eek:, that's incredible. Congrats on picking up your first bits, I'm sure many will follow.

It sure does ping those little bits, never thought I'd see something PI that will hit on tiny stuff like the GB2 and GMT can..

awesome..

Awesome Stuff on the gold finds.

It might be an idea to carry a gold pan with you for the very small bits then wash the soil out.

Also the vibraprobe 580 pin pointer though its a bit bigger in size compared to other pin pointers its pulse induction
and picks up the small nuggets other vlf pin pointers may not. I have tested this and compared the 580 with another
popular pin pointer.

Your ears must be really good to pick up that real tiny nugget.

Congratulations and well done.

subgram said:
It sure does ping those little bits, never thought I'd see something PI that will hit on tiny stuff like the GB2 and GMT can..

awesome..

ever seen an 8" mono round on a ML 4500/5000? Very good results on small gold. as i have posted elsewhere, the balance of the detector gets thrown out by small coils - they become very top heavy.

reef dump with an 8" mono on a 4500.

I've seen guys with the 5000+8x6 NF hit some small 0.04g stuff .. and its impressive...
I also know that a 5000 with the best settings/coil will never hit ping the tiny fly specks the GB2 will.

Still wouldn't trade my PI for a VLF lol..

Congrats IanSDC - good to find your first gold and yes you're hearing is top notch.

Loamer ... hey its a simple fix when your balance is out ( 8" coil on 5000) you go to the fishing tackle box ..pull out a large sinker tape it to the centre of your coil... voila fixed <<<< I hope newbie's dont read this>>>>

BTW ... good on ya IanSDC ... good effort ... I'll be listening for the party noise around town tonight.

Cheers Pete

Oops, my apologies to all as I have just realised the town is called Tibooburra and not Tipaburra :( Must still be buggered after driving the 850k back to Adelaide yesterday!

Ian

Easily done, we were going down the West Australian Coast and saw a sign for Didyabanga. Had a laugh for a while the realised that it was supposed to Bidyadanga. :rolleyes:

I've seen it, I still don't believe it....that is a seriously, ridiculously small piece of gold for a PI to pick up...

Hats off, you must have some extremely sharp hearing!

I would love to see a youtube video with that really tiny nugget being put over the coil of the SDC2300.

Just wondering what it would sound like....

Wolfau said:
I would love to see a youtube video with that really tiny nugget being put over the coil of the SDC2300.

+1, I'd love to see it in action on such a tiny piece.

Wolfau said:

I'll see if I can do a YouTube video of it going over the coil. It was quite loud and sharp in the scoop and then when I looked in the scoop I could not pick which grain was the gold. Even when putting my glasses on, all I could see was that it was a fraction bigger than the other grains in the scoop. It had me beat what it was until it glistened gold and had weight when dropped back into the scoop.

Give me a chance to figure out the requirements of YouTube and I will put it up as a video. Its a pity the most interesting bit is tiny, hopefully I can find some pieces a little bigger next time. Minelab have really made an extraordinary detector in the SD2300 as the other members of the club would attest. All the other members especially the ones that watched me dig up the tiny nuggets were impressed. When I found some likely targets other members were invited to try their units over its location to see if they could locate it. Some targets they could locate and some they could not locate.

One of the members did very well with a 5000, (14x7 mono nugget finder) and he watched me dig up the tiny grain of gold. The volume of the headphones has no exterior control and it proved not to needed for my hearing. I had doubts when I bought the machine about the volume control level being "fixed" but I need not have worried.

I need to buy myself a harness and a quick detach bunjee, (Pro Swing 45) and get a water bottle that I can attach to the harness. Then I need to figure out how to attach some sort of feet to the rear of the unit to stop it from falling on its side. Its difficult to wave a scoop over a coil that it vertical on it side, I prefer to have the coil flat. Any ideas?

Ian

Hi Ian,

You can buy headphones with volume
Control on each head phone. Thats no
Big drama though.

Where you using headphones?

Look forward to the video.

An idea is to get a camelbak which is like a back
Pack but carries water then attach the bungee cord
To it.

Thanks Again

Yeah, I was using headphones, seems to work better especially when it was windy as they helped isolate the wind noise. Cant use any headphones on the SDC as it has a special waterproof plug and socket. I believe ML are working on making an adapter for the unit so it can use regular headphones.

Camelback is a good idea, thanks!

Ian

Latest posts