SDC Wrap Up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhaseTech

Phase Technical
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Okay so I've been using the SDC for a while now, so feel I'm somewhat qualified to do a pro/con list for anyone who is considering buying one.

Cons:

1. The armrest in stock form is a bit of a pain, particularly when wearing extra clothing. But, it is very easily solved by getting Black Al's cover, and / or buying a black plastic Minelab armrest and neoprene cover. http://youtu.be/yu42XhTt-Gg

2. It can have a tendancy to not want to sit still when recovering a target, but just get into a habit of flattening the coil and you'll have no dramas. You have to flatten the coil flat on the ground anyway so you can sweep your scoop over it, so it's really a non issue

3. The lack of controls! For some, they would see this as a positive, but for a long time GPX user it has taken some getting used to. Try telling a GPX5000 user that you will take away Motion, Stabilizer, Tone, Signal etc. However, to be honest, I have found myself concentrating a bit more on technique and listening and less time making small tweaks

4. No ability to connect your own preferred headphones or booster - this is soon to change ;)

5. No discrim. The SDC handles wet beaches so well, it's a shame there isn't at least a simple Iron Reject mode. So if you want to give it a crack finding jewellery on the beaches, you'll just have to dig everything.

Pros:

1. Shaft collapses to easily put it behind the car seat, or fully fold it down to slip it in a backpack

2. C Cell batteries. For some this is a turnoff, but I think C Cells are a perfect match for the SDC. AA cells wouldn't give a long enough run time, and D cells would make it heavy. The unit is supplied with rechargeables and if you want a second set of batteries you're looking at about $50-$70. This is much cheaper than buying a second GPX battery!

3. The lack of controls. Yes, this is also in the Cons list, but that is very personal. For most people, particularly newbies to the hobby, simplicity is everything. There is enough to remember when it comes to gold detecting already - the last thing a newbie needs is to worry about his/her detector settings.

4. Signal - noise ratio. The SDC doesn't have the smoothest threshold ever, but it also doesn't react to much other than metallic targets. The signal response stands out so well, that even a person using a detector for the first time ever will very quickly learn what the "dig me" signals are.

5. Performance Niche = Gold
Well the SDC picks up VLF gold in PI soils, enough said. Or put it this way. For years, everyone has always stated how VLFs pick up the tiny stuff PI's miss, right? Yes, but after taking the SDC to a spot literally pounded for the last 15 yrs with every detector under the sun and finding over 30 targets I ask myself: "How much have the VLF's missed?"

6. Waterproof. Not that I can see myself taking the unit underwater anytime soon, it's good to know that when it starts bucketing down I can just stand there and take it, and I know my detector is nice and safe.

7. Coil is rock solid. The coil is like a sniffer dog leading you to the next nugget. The way it sticks forward allows you to get it under logs and bushes. It does mean you occasionally have to tap it back into position depending on the terrain, so make sure you wear no-metal shoes.

8. Results. Yep a pro-con list is meaningless unless the thing can actually find gold. And I can honestly say I've never found gold so consistently in the Adelaide Hills before. The SDC (touch wood) has a 100% strike rate so far. When I'm done taking it to my old patches (this won't be for a while yet) I'll be using it for what it was designed for and that is a patch hunter, knowing that if there's any gold there I'll have a very good chance of hitting it.

Nenad

Thanks for the honest review Nenad.

I got to pick one up yesterday at RM Electronics in Naracoorte for the first time. Rob in the shop showed me a vial of little nuggets he had found with the SDC at Tibooburra.....they were very small indeed. He had about 40 of them from 4 hrs swinging which was impressive stuff.

I am yet to buy a detector but the more I read about this one the more I want one, now to start saving. :D

Cheers

Hi Nenad
Thanks for the review,
I am a big fan of the SDC's abilities!!!! there is no doubt it does what it is meant to!!!
I feel there are a number of points that you have missed from your CON's list which may affect someone's purchase choice.

1. Ergonomics, to me this is a big thing & is directly related to the comfort & enjoyment level, most of the weight is well forward on this unit & the first time I used one it seemed to flop around on my arm at the end of the swing.

2. Coil to shaft connection knuckle- to me this is a huge issue as it is a point of wear as it is on the same plane as the base of coil (which is protected by the skid plate) the knuckle has not protection.

3. The unit has an issue with shutting down due to batteries moving or not fitting correctly.

4. Battery charger- there have been a number of these that have failed already.

5 Price!!!!! My opinion is that at nearly $4000 it is not an entry level Detector, I believe Minelab have missed a great opportunity to achieve a much larger market share.

I want one but not at $4000 with the issues I have stated, I may wait for version 2.

One of your Pro's has me baffled though!!!!!!!!
You wrote ""8. Results. Yep a pro-con list is meaningless unless the thing can actually find gold. And I can honestly say I've never found gold so consistently in the Adelaide Hills before. The SDC (touch wood) has a 100% strike rate so far. When I'm done taking it to my old patches (this won't be for a while yet) I'll be using it for what it was designed for and that is a patch hunter, knowing that if there's any gold there I'll have a very good chance of hitting it.""

Patch hunting with an 8" coil are you serious, most folks use 14" to 18" coils for patch hunting for ground coverage which is the main aim when patch hunting.
cheers
Lee

One place I knew the SDC would excel without even trying one was Tibooburra.
But my GMT gave the Minelab guy's a run for there money there a few years back at 1/4 the cost of the SDC I still find the price to much. There already turning up second hand il grab one then.

Hey Zuke_Lynzy

I hear ya mate, the old GMT is crazy on small gold, even fine specks however I did find the GMT to be very bouncy on the coil i.e. scrubbing casused all sorts of noise. THe SDC doesns't make a peep when you knock sticks out of the way and scratch at tree bases. additionally i tested a few nuggets right next to my car door with the sdc the GMT would have had an issue.

Every detector is different regardless of the same model but my feeling is the sdc will change the game, if only in being able to work under powerlines pinging the small stuff.

Nenad is a site sponsor under his business name i think.
Would be great to get a clarification if Nenad is affiliated
In some way with Minelab or whether he does contract
Work for Minelab.

There is more info under the rules under Dealers and
Service providers. So basically if this is the case forum
Members need to be made aware of this i think.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/misc.php?action=rules

Hi all, I worked for Minelab for 12 years up till March this year. I am now an independant contractor/trainer/writer so will promote what I believe in and what I know works.

Well I think you have done a fantastic job of reviewing the SDC2300 you have put a lot of time into testing and even found gold.
You have me sold if it wasn't for the price' I won't buy one at this stage only because of the price it's about $1000 to much.

Maybe now you should do a review on the Whites SPP?

Price is always subjective to an individuals situation, stage of life and priorities.

I paid $5000 for my racing carbon fibre frame push bike a few years ago. Most of would think that's crazy as well and about $4500 over priced.

I would have paid $4500 for the SDC but that's just me.

When we go to NZ, I will have it in a back pack for carry on luggage. That's got to worth something?

It is a high quality piece of equipment. The only thing we don't know yet is long term reliability.

Wolfau said:
Work for Minelab.

I think a picture tells a thousand words. It seems that Minlab detectors are finding the lions share of the gold.
If you read Nenad's posts on the SDC2300 the reports have been factual on real in the field tests.
Yes he is a sight sponsor and yes he has been heavily involved in the development of the worlds best gold detectors.
If you read Nenad's posts you will see he has made us aware of what his business involves.
At the end of the day if you really need to know if a detector is what it is cracked up to be. Hire one from a local dealer.
There is no harm in someone promoting a product they believe in.
Personally I have been watching all reports on this detector however I made the decision recently to buy a GPX 4500 for the same $$$.
I made my decision based on the machines performance and results.
Looking at the gold that the SDC2300 is finding it is a worthy investment, and given enough time in the field would certainly prove to be a profitable investment.

Counting the days until hire, the runs are on the board. If you see these in action you will forgive the price tag.

Well put Ryan,

If I had an engineering issue, your advice would be right at the top of my list. I have seen pictures, not just words of your obvious passion and skills in that area.

If I were to pose a question on a public forum about a Minelab SDC detector, I would take the advice of someone who has been a Technical Expert in the field for over 11 years and has extensive experience comparing it to other brands that have had many technical developments over many years.

Im a Train Driver, ask me anything about driving a 10000 tonne coal train, I am a technical expert only in that area.

The internet has duped us all into believing we are experts in fields we have never studied or work. I am guilty as anyone in this area. Just last week, with a little bit of self diagnosis, Google informs me that I have Mad Cow disease. :rolleyes: Google is making us stupid.

What I m getting at is we are lucky to have industry professionals imparting their vast personal experience for the benefit of new hacks like me. I appreciate it and see it as intended, solid advice not a sales pitch for a particular brand.

Public Forums can lend themselves to 5 min experts. I can be guilty of this at times! ;)

Cheers

Ryan27 said:
Wolfau said:
Work for Minelab.

I think a picture tells a thousand words. It seems that Minlab detectors are finding the lions share of the gold.
If you read Nenad's posts on the SDC2300 the reports have been factual on real in the field tests.
Yes he is a sight sponsor and yes he has been heavily involved in the development of the worlds best gold detectors.
If you read Nenad's posts you will see he has made us aware of what his business involves.
At the end of the day if you really need to know if a detector is what it is cracked up to be. Hire one from a local dealer.
There is no harm in someone promoting a product they believe in.
Personally I have been watching all reports on this detector however I made the decision recently to buy a GPX 4500 for the same $$$.
I made my decision based on the machines performance and results.
Looking at the gold that the SDC2300 is finding it is a worthy investment, and given enough time in the field would certainly prove to be a profitable investment.

Scratching my head why your reply was added in
What i wrote.

I am fully aware what Nenad does. Just asked the
question for clarification so everyone knows. There
Was another member who asked the same thing
And there might of been a couple of others thinking
the same.

Thanks for your input Nenad. I was lucky enough to have a shot with one of these detectors and I am impressed. I enjoy the videos on the SDC2300 but mostly enjoy just watching people find Gold.Good luck with future outings. Cheers, Rick
PhaseTech said:
Okay so I've been using the SDC for a while now, so feel I'm somewhat qualified to do a pro/con list for anyone who is considering buying one.

Cons:

1. The armrest in stock form is a bit of a pain, particularly when wearing extra clothing. But, it is very easily solved by getting Black Al's cover, and / or buying a black plastic Minelab armrest and neoprene cover. http://youtu.be/yu42XhTt-Gg

2. It can have a tendancy to not want to sit still when recovering a target, but just get into a habit of flattening the coil and you'll have no dramas. You have to flatten the coil flat on the ground anyway so you can sweep your scoop over it, so it's really a non issue

3. The lack of controls! For some, they would see this as a positive, but for a long time GPX user it has taken some getting used to. Try telling a GPX5000 user that you will take away Motion, Stabilizer, Tone, Signal etc. However, to be honest, I have found myself concentrating a bit more on technique and listening and less time making small tweaks

4. No ability to connect your own preferred headphones or booster - this is soon to change ;)

5. No discrim. The SDC handles wet beaches so well, it's a shame there isn't at least a simple Iron Reject mode. So if you want to give it a crack finding jewellery on the beaches, you'll just have to dig everything.

Pros:

1. Shaft collapses to easily put it behind the car seat, or fully fold it down to slip it in a backpack

2. C Cell batteries. For some this is a turnoff, but I think C Cells are a perfect match for the SDC. AA cells wouldn't give a long enough run time, and D cells would make it heavy. The unit is supplied with rechargeables and if you want a second set of batteries you're looking at about $50-$70. This is much cheaper than buying a second GPX battery!

3. The lack of controls. Yes, this is also in the Cons list, but that is very personal. For most people, particularly newbies to the hobby, simplicity is everything. There is enough to remember when it comes to gold detecting already - the last thing a newbie needs is to worry about his/her detector settings.

4. Signal - noise ratio. The SDC doesn't have the smoothest threshold ever, but it also doesn't react to much other than metallic targets. The signal response stands out so well, that even a person using a detector for the first time ever will very quickly learn what the "dig me" signals are.

5. Performance Niche = Gold
Well the SDC picks up VLF gold in PI soils, enough said. Or put it this way. For years, everyone has always stated how VLFs pick up the tiny stuff PI's miss, right? Yes, but after taking the SDC to a spot literally pounded for the last 15 yrs with every detector under the sun and finding over 30 targets I ask myself: "How much have the VLF's missed?"

6. Waterproof. Not that I can see myself taking the unit underwater anytime soon, it's good to know that when it starts bucketing down I can just stand there and take it, and I know my detector is nice and safe.

7. Coil is rock solid. The coil is like a sniffer dog leading you to the next nugget. The way it sticks forward allows you to get it under logs and bushes. It does mean you occasionally have to tap it back into position depending on the terrain, so make sure you wear no-metal shoes.

8. Results. Yep a pro-con list is meaningless unless the thing can actually find gold. And I can honestly say I've never found gold so consistently in the Adelaide Hills before. The SDC (touch wood) has a 100% strike rate so far. When I'm done taking it to my old patches (this won't be for a while yet) I'll be using it for what it was designed for and that is a patch hunter, knowing that if there's any gold there I'll have a very good chance of hitting it.

Nenad

rc62burke said:
Hi Nenad
Thanks for the review,
I am a big fan of the SDC's abilities!!!! there is no doubt it does what it is meant to!!!
I feel there are a number of points that you have missed from your CON's list which may affect someone's purchase choice.

1. Ergonomics, to me this is a big thing & is directly related to the comfort & enjoyment level, most of the weight is well forward on this unit & the first time I used one it seemed to flop around on my arm at the end of the swing.

2. Coil to shaft connection knuckle- to me this is a huge issue as it is a point of wear as it is on the same plane as the base of coil (which is protected by the skid plate) the knuckle has not protection.

3. The unit has an issue with shutting down due to batteries moving or not fitting correctly.

4. Battery charger- there have been a number of these that have failed already.

5 Price!!!!! My opinion is that at nearly $4000 it is not an entry level Detector, I believe Minelab have missed a great opportunity to achieve a much larger market share.

I want one but not at $4000 with the issues I have stated, I may wait for version 2.

One of your Pro's has me baffled though!!!!!!!!
You wrote ""8. Results. Yep a pro-con list is meaningless unless the thing can actually find gold. And I can honestly say I've never found gold so consistently in the Adelaide Hills before. The SDC (touch wood) has a 100% strike rate so far. When I'm done taking it to my old patches (this won't be for a while yet) I'll be using it for what it was designed for and that is a patch hunter, knowing that if there's any gold there I'll have a very good chance of hitting it.""

Patch hunting with an 8" coil are you serious, most folks use 14" to 18" coils for patch hunting for ground coverage which is the main aim when patch hunting.
cheers
Lee

Hi Lee,
I am slowly getting a few hours up on the SDC2300 now & pretty much agree with Nenad + some of what you wrote.
1. Ergonomics - don't have an issue myself. No worse than others I've used.
2. The knuckle - thanks for the heads up on this. Notice mine has some scratching/marks but feel it will take some time to catastrophically fail if at all. Will certainly be keeping an eye on it though. I do tend to try & keep the coil toed down when using the SDC as well so the toe of my coil scrub plate will likely be my first point of wear. The SDC is a machine that requires the coil to be scrubbed .
3. Mine hasn't done this but I think its an easy fix
Redshirt (4umer) said:
To stop it happening insert the batteries slowly when the detector is in a horizontal position and make sure to close the battery lock cap very evenly. You can also stretch the connection springs a little, this has fix it for me.
4. Have seen/heard of a few failing. Minelab are replacing them. Mine hasn't yet touch wood.
5. Price - Each to their own. I was quite happy with what I paid for mine (purchased used). You'll either buy or not. I don't think Minelab will drop price on the back of forum complaints? A dealer told me a couple of weeks ago they were waiting on more stock but Minelab had something like 100 on backorder so they must be selling ok?

Patch hunting isn't always about big areas & big coils. There are leaders & specimen gold a 5000, for instance, can't see. Sure there are VLF's that will in "certain" ground. High mineralisation & VLF's just don't play well together though - this should shock nobody.
Our friend Redshirt again:
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t19510-boulder-patch-gold

Before anyone asks - no I don't work for Minelab or any of their respective dealers. I do however like their products :eek:

Why the SDC2300 interests me as a patch hunter:

1. I don't have the luxury of wide flat open spaces where I can swing a 17" elliptical
2. A lot of the gold on my stomping grounds is very porous/reefy or associated with Ironstone - using an SDC will increase my chances of hitting this stuff
3. The spots I intend to explore are no car zones, and kms away, so a big hike is necessary. SDC in the backpack is perfect
4. The SDC deals with charcoal nicely, and deals with most ground noises, but will still ping on the occasional bad hot rock on the surface. Exactly what I want to know when exploring new ground

Hi Nenad
Just as I figured ;)
Mate alot of the stuff I put up is to draw out more information & that is what you have given & from your response that makes perfect sense for working your area to the best of your knowledge!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as I am concerned I think it is great to have Nenad on here with his in depth knowledge on Minelab detectors, Thanks Man.
cheers
Lee

After using the SDC 2300 a couple months now there is little I could wish for. The price is the most obvious con. Some people not only can't afford the price new, but will not be able to afford the price used. No way around it, it is an expensive detector. Worth it, yes. Affordable for many? I think not.

Something like the armrest that some think is just the worst thing ever I only find mildly annoying at times. I appreciate the fact it folds up for easy stowage. I always wish detectors weighed less, and a dry land only less expensive SDC would be appreciated by many. Stuff it in a Eureka box Minelab!

I would like to be able to unplug the 8" coil and put an even smaller coil on it, like a 4" x 6" elliptical. The main small gold limitation at this point in the inability to get the 8" coil into narrow depressions and crevices in bedrock where small gold is lurking. I do not care about a bigger coil. I will break out the GPX for big gold.

Basically if you just accept it for what it is the SDC is a great little unit that does what it is designed to do. Last two days I got 5.3 grams of residual gold,smallest nugget in lower left weighs 0.045 grams (0.7 grains).
1408917413_image.jpg

Latest posts