SD 2000 ,, worth $600

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely worth it if its in working order. If its from someone trustworthy it sounds good , if not id give it a test run first. Altho its hard to test anywhere close to houses, power etc. If you get it id look into to a power voltage upgrade as it makes them run a lot more stable.

Cheers Gary ,, I am in two minds . Are they any good on the smaller stuff that is more predominate these days ?
Seller says it has a "warbly" threshold .

I have a SD2100 and it works well, spent a bit on a "Woody" modification and now it runs quieter and is more sensitive.
I think the modification was about $750
$600 for a SD 2000 is really good value if it is working well. If it has a "woody" mod on it it would be even better.
I have found no gold yet but have only spent a total of about 30 hours detecting for gold, I know a lot of guys with GPX 5000's and have not found anything but lead and have spent much more time at detecting.
I picked up a rubbish target at about 300 mm that the GPX detectors had gone over., so I'm hoping they missed the odd nugget or two.

JeffP said:
Cheers Gary ,, I am in two minds . Are they any good on the smaller stuff that is more predominate these days ?
Seller says it has a "warbly" threshold .

Firstly they arent particularly great on sub gram pieces and one
reason being the second point noisey "warbly"threeshold.

They can be very warbly , running in 1 channel and using Double D coils only plus running at 7.3 volts can smooth them out somewhat but never eliminate it totaly. Sometimes when they have a 4 frequency mod done to them makes it far worse.

They certainly work better than any mid or low frequency vhf machine as far and deepth goes and will handle the soil somewhat better as well.

All good Jeff , not a great very first machine to have .. if u have been using an older vhf machine with a manual ground balance the step up wouldnt be as big.

Jeff a sd2000 for that money is a good buy as others have said the battery up grade is a good idea I had a gp extreme but was using a 8000 mh 11.1 volt battery with a regulator it ran the detector all day with the 5000 bat I could only get about 4 to 5 hours out of it
If it was mine I was get a frequency switch added to it that makes a big difference ,the one I had it was getting better depth than a 2100 regards john :)

My view is, by far the best detector up until the GPX was the SD2100. The only mod to my machine was to fit the 12V battery regulated to 7.5V.
Know many who spent big $$$ on mods which really didn't improve the machine. (Still warbled)
Mastered the tuning which stopped all the warble and it purred with an 18" mono most times. Was questioned many times that I couldn't use a mono on the ground we were on. Oh! Yes I could.

Its worth it if it runs... and has had no mods.. great old unit... thought ground balancing will be the bane of your existence..

For what its worth, my opinion that is, if i remember correctly Minelab pulled the pin on repairing them yonks ago. So if anything went wrong with it after you buy it its useless. Awesome in their day but a bit long in the tooth these days.

A 2000 would be best utilised as a specialty DEEP machine. It's audio by default is in Inverted, i.e. big targets go High Low.
I'd stick a 15" DD on it (minimum) and put it over some deep ground that has a history of producing big lumps. Yes, the regulated power supplies help to stabilize them a little, but you'll never get them as smooth as a GP series and no where near a GPX.

Personally I thought the SD2100v2 was the best of the SD series.

Yeah, id take a 21 over a 2000 any day, back in their day that is :lol: Boy, was there a myriad of differing 21,s though, the greens. Some with their power tracks too close together which caused cross talk between them, noisier than a flock of galas. The black board 21,s, circuit boards painted in black carbon paint, touchy and flighty with deceased depth. Some 21,s that you couldn't get a ground bal using Coiltek coils, others would. Mate, those green 21,s were all over the place. :mad: Nearly forgot, I agree the V2, were the best of the 21,s. I wonder though what the new cut off from Minelab repairs is now? Pretty sure all the green machines are out, that was a while ago though, anyone know if it goes any further now?

Latest posts