Satalite phone for WA trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Just wondering anyone's opinion on whats a good satellite phone.
I gather iridium is the brand to get.
Just for emergency's and to speak to the family while out.
I'm going to WA for four weeks in July.
Saw the thing that your normal phone connects to but they are $1000. Plus the sim etc.

Hey mate, i've recently researched all this. I got a good price on a second hand iridium 9555 and signed up to a pivotel 2 year deal - HOWEVER if you choose to pay an extra fifty bucks on your first bill then you have no early cancellation fees. The cost works out about a dollar a day. Good thing with iridium is you get a standard mobile number which means people can ring you at no extra cost. I make prior arrangements before i head bush saying to a few mates i'll have the ph on say between 6-8pm and call me then if any concerns. If i wasnt going to be spending time in be deep gorges etc I would have considered the thuraya system as it is cheaper (fixed satelite position rather than multiple roving with iridium) and their phones look good(also a few on gumtree). Iridium pre paid crazy expensive.
good luck

I use the Isatphone Pro, it use Inmarst satellites and have never not been able to get reception. This phone has the big advantage of GPS fix email system, you turn phone on wait for it to fix on satellites and you can set it up to send your Coords email to a designated email address, so every time I arrive at a location, at lunch and when I return to my truck I send a coords email to my wife so she knows I am okay keeps her mind at ease. The pre paid ends up about $360 a year for 200 units or about 20 minutes of talk time, I only send text messages and emails never make calls unless it is a SOS call (hopefully never) and I never go past my pre paid limit, you can just top it up with a few units before you go out as the sim card does not expire just your credit.

I have used the refurb ones on a $15 per month plan, no contract. Cancel anytime which I have as I am not going anywhere for the near future.

Pros -
Cheap outlay initially
Easy to use not complicated, enter number and ring
Local call costs for people ringing you (I would ring home hang up after 3 rings, they would ring me back at local call costs)
Robust unit
Clear voice and very little delay sounded just like normal phone (except when no service see below)
Swivel antennae use left or right side
Good battery life

Cons -
Even slight cloud did cause some times when reception was difficult to achieve, would drop out for a few seconds and then reconnect, not all times did it disconnect?
Heavy clouds were an issue with no recpetion for extended periods, one night was not able to make contact. Potentially causing some concern to some people.
Check satellite locations as they can be low on horizon
Bulky but really not a big issue

I don't know if the technology is a little old and this was causing some issues with the connections, but if it was an emergency we could have had some issues. I would be keen to know if newer phone users experience any of the above or I can call it on the technology?

If it is just general communications and keeping in touch I see no issues except for some frustrations at times. However for an emergency I believe a PLB is definitely your best friend in this situation.

Hope that helps a little

This was in WA as well.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. For done reason I'm not getting the emails telling me some one had replied.
Please fix admin.
Not going to wa now this year 8.( so I won't worry to much.

the spot connect appears to be a good thing that can make use of your smart phone, worth checking out for future requirements, along with the other spot producta.

cheers and happy hunting 8)

Hi Jarrahrules, I have just arrived in WA for 3 months of detecting and went through similar decisions like you. I settled on the following and both have been brilliant:

- Spot 3 Personal tracker [Used to send a good morning check in everyday to family]
- Thuraya XT Lite on the $15/month casual plan [Ring twice and family calls back at local rates]

I have actually been using the Spot3 for over 12 months and love it from extended battery life to message reliabilty]

Rgds

Mark

Tryhard did you buy phone outright or is it included in plan ?
Who is plan with and if not rude how much was phone. ?
Very interested
Cheers

A friend of mine also has Thuraya XT-Lite on a casual plan.He bought his about 5 years ago now but it's still going strong. I borrowed his sat phone for the simpson desert crossing 2 years back and for 2 month prospecting in WA last year. Signal was never an issue. These things are built like bricks. Thuraya are based in Dubai and the XT-Lite can be had for around $800. I'll probably get one of my own next trip but been out of the loop so maybe there's some other affordable competition to look at now. I wouldn't complain about $15 a month though. Because it's not a lock in plan you just pay when you need it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thuraya-...197149?hash=item3ac3fc551d:g:XMQAAOSwnNBXb744

nuggetino said:
A friend of mine also has Thuraya XT-Lite on a casual plan.He bought his about 5 years ago now but it's still going strong. I borrowed his sat phone for the simpson desert crossing 2 years back and for 2 month prospecting in WA last year. Signal was never an issue. These things are built like bricks. Thuraya are based in Dubai and the XT-Lite can be had for around $800. I'll probably get one of my own next trip but been out of the loop so maybe there's some other affordable competition to look at now. I wouldn't complain about $15 a month though. Because it's not a lock in plan you just pay when you need it.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thuraya-...197149?hash=item3ac3fc551d:g:XMQAAOSwnNBXb744

Yes appears to be the best value for money. Optus are doing Thuraya Lite for $700 (private sellers are asking $799) plus casual plan $15 ................ peanuts for the convenience ;)

tryhard1968 said:
Hi Jarrahrules, I have just arrived in WA for 3 months of detecting and went through similar decisions like you. I settled on the following and both have been brilliant:

- Spot 3 Personal tracker [Used to send a good morning check in everyday to family]
- Thuraya XT Lite on the $15/month casual plan [Ring twice and family calls back at local rates]

I have actually been using the Spot3 for over 12 months and love it from extended battery life to message reliabilty]

Rgds

Mark

Thanks try hard. Great advice. I like the way yours works as I would be in the same situation.
Not going to go this year now which is upsetting but better the sanity and I'll go next year with others.

Latest posts