Sand scoops - are the ebay units any good?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I want to buy something from EBay, I check the price of it on Aliexpress where you can often buy the same thing direct from China at a lower price Because that is where they are made.
In checking the Ebay sand scoop, there are many of exactly the same design available on Aliexpress. The price overall is comparable with the EBay one given the need for shipping and GST costs to be added in, so would be about as cheap to buy through EBay seeing they are offering free shipping.
That also seems to be the same design as the Anaconda one, so would not be surprised to find they are all made in China.

I bought a couple of heavy duty plastic grain scoops for about $20 each and drilled holes in them. Cheap, durable, light and effective. Got them from a produce store. Mackka
size is about 2 litres.

Cheers Makka, I'm sick of bending or kneeling down and wanted to go for something where I can stand vertical a bit more.

I understand Hilux, I have also made a light weight one using plastic plumbing fitting and a lightweight handle attached with a couple of U Bolts with plates. Hope you find something suitable. Mackka

Cheers Makka, I'm sick of bending or kneeling down and wanted to go for something where I can stand vertical a bit more.
In that case there's no point in messing around, kneeling, crouching or bending down with these handheld jobbies that put all the strain on your wrist and back. You need a long-handled model that lets powerful leg and arm muscles do all the digging, lifting and sifting work.

I can lend you one to try out if you like (I'm in Kewdale).

My original generic ebay sourced stainless scoop ended up busting most of the welds when I started encountering rocks (where a lot of the good stuff hides). Ended up buying a more solid stainless unit from South Africa with cylindrical bucket and full stainless handle welded to to the bucket.

Whenever I want to buy something from EBay, I check the price of it on Aliexpress where you can often buy the same thing direct from China at a lower price Because that is where they are made.
In checking the Ebay sand scoop, there are many of exactly the same design available on Aliexpress. The price overall is comparable with the EBay one given the need for shipping and GST costs to be added in, so would be about as cheap to buy through EBay seeing they are offering free shipping.
That also seems to be the same design as the Anaconda one, so would not be surprised to find they are all made in China.
We have to pay 10% on any thing from China gst now added, and hope it's not in us dollars then wait 6 weeks together it, sometimes not worth it, pay a bit extra in aust and get it delivered with in the week

I looked at some of the ebay ones and counted the punched holes and their pattern. As you said, quite a few seemed identical to the Annaconda unit.

We have to pay 10% on any thing from China gst now added, and hope it's not in us dollars then wait 6 weeks together it, sometimes not worth it, pay a bit extra in aust and get it delivered with in the week
Hahaaah Most that I have ordered on line, the China items arrive in less time than the Aussie orders.

Hahaaah Most that I have ordered on line, the China items arrive in less time than the Aussie orders.
Yeah had that happen to me often but the other way around when ordering off a supposed Australian EBay seller expecting a faster delivery, only to find could have got it quicker ordering directly from Aliexpress.
What some of them do is only after they get your order (and money) do they then place an order in China with your delivery address on it.
A bit sneaky.

Last edited:
I bought a Sito sand scoop, well made of stainless steel, fitted a long aluminium handle, makes it quite heavy as the ally tube to fit it is heavy wall. only use when detecting in the water. On the dry sand I have found a shovel ( Super Cheap one about $12) short handle with the grip on top works for me using a pinpointer for finding the target, easier than trying to shake the wet sand through a scoop and picks out the occasional small item that goes through the holes, Don't get on the beach much, last few outings have been lot of time for few finds. Google Sito sand scoops, can order on line from Brisbane.

I bought a Sito sand scoop, well made of stainless steel, fitted a long aluminium handle, makes it quite heavy as the ally tube to fit it is heavy wall. only use when detecting in the water. On the dry sand I have found a shovel ( Super Cheap one about $12) short handle with the grip on top works for me using a pinpointer for finding the target, easier than trying to shake the wet sand through a scoop and picks out the occasional small item that goes through the holes, Don't get on the beach much, last few outings have been lot of time for few finds. Google Sito sand scoops, can order on line from Brisbane.

Thanks Ausgold, I'd wondered the same.
I usually use a trowel for most of my digging in scrubby bush and am just starting to beach detect.

The last 6 months finds are paid for it so if it doesn't work out...............

20230713_100258.jpg

Latest posts