Safety in the Bush

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
I got a pretty serious wake up call today while out high banking, so i just wanted to mention it. A large gum come down near me (about a foot wide at the base) mind you i didn't hear it till it hit the ground, couldn't have been more than 20 feet from where i was working. I shudder to think how long it would have been before someone came to find me despite being next to my Ute.. So just a reminder on those hot windy days to stay safe, any day really. I was so keen to get out its something i overlooked. I had the radio on listening to the fire updates, only to miss a much closer and very real threat. Take care out there.

Hmmmmm, Widow makers.

I have one where I'm prospecting. It is still alive but it has quite a few dead limbs up high and the trunk would be 6 ft dia.
After surveying the dead limbs I have determined they should fall away from where I'm working but if they do come down they could block my exit or worse still land on the Landcruiser.

Thanks Goldtarget

A timely reminder for me as I am about to head off for a few days as well!

I will take note of the tree types we seek shade under!

Cheers!

Widow makers......All Gum trees.
The ones that Kill Firefighters are right on the edge of the fire ground.
They don't look dangerous because they are only scorched at the beginning or the end of the fires run.
usually only 1.5 to 2.5m up the trunk.
The major branches start to drop usually 6 to 8hrs after the fire has passed. Hence Firefighter being injured or killed when mopping up.

This will become more relivant as I explain.

The gum tree relies on water just like all other trees. The deeper the soil the larger the tree. The more water it requires. Hence way larger tree close to water source. Next time your out there compare (only gums)
Now what happens in a fire situation is the amount of heat.
In the centre of a fire the tree becomes extremely distressed and will usually drop all its larger branches soon after the fire passed. The heat just sucks the moisture out of the upper branches first.
The tree then goes in to survival mode pulling the remainder of its moisture back to the trunk.
it all get down to water.

now here is what happen as the creeks rivers dry up the trees go into survival mode. Just over a longer period of time the upper limbs become distressed and commence to dry out. As the trunk pulls the moisture to conserve it.
Once they reach a certain stage it is only a matter of when a large branch will come down.

Here is the scary part they don't make any noise just fracture and drop.....If you ever get to see one just look at the fractured end. It will be bone dry as if it is dead.

Mother Nature at its best........The tree is shedding it's larger branches to survive.

There is no safe method to check a gum tree.......just be mindful of the branches that are horizontal and heavier than the other on the tree.
They are the dangerous suckers.

This rarely happens with other varieties of trees firs, turpentine, mahogany, cedars, iron bark, wattle, Coolabahs bloodwood certain pine trees.
it is all about the bark on these trees. Extremely thick and in most cases flame resistant to a certain degree.

Just every variety of gum. ESPECIALLY spotted, red gum, blue gum, apple, round leaf, river gum, ghost gum, scribbly gum. The list is large

At the extreme end the tree will suck up so much moisture that it will destroy itself. Drying out the supporting surounding earth....Down it will come with not a sound.......All it will take is correct wind direction and a very hot day. THE ROOT SYSTEM BECOMES DISTRESSED AND JUST COLLAPSES.
There is and old saying I live by " If in doubt, There is no doubt." If you have concerns about a tree you are about to pass under in your vehicle turn around find another path and be able to go home alive....you can not replace you as there was ever only one mold made (unless you are a twin)
cheers.

This afternoon I learned what all trout fishermen have learned and that is that river rocks can be treacherously slippery - i stepped onto a sloping rock bar and went from standing to sitting in a millisecond. But fortunately i was with 2 forum members who helped me through the aftermath of overwhelming pain followed by brief unconsciousness. They know who they are but i just wanted to publicly thank them for their care and attention.

Yes I'm okay... just a bruised and wiser man

thanks gentlemen!

... casper

glad that you are ok, I am so careful with rocks I guess it is because I love my fishing as well as prospecting and know how slippery they can get, its the unstable ones that seems to make me take a dip, I would keep an eye on your wounds though sounds like you will probably get a nice bruise or 2 from it

Glad you're OK Casper, lucky your mates were there too. Things can happen so fast sometimes, unconscious and water is not a good combo.

I too have been in that position, (and yes trout fishing) unfortunately I've found there is no way to completely avoid it if you wish to be close to the water, and I think I've seen everyone I have fished rivers with do it to some degree, I broke 2 ribs in my best effort and I have done it a few times though not so bad since and I think I'm pretty agile so it's not hard to do. The best advice I can offer though is to buy good quality hiking boots, gumboots or hard soled work boots are far more prone to slipping on those slimy rocks than good hikers. Or if you plan to be in streams and exposed to a lot of those slippery surfaces for long periods fly fishing stores sell felt soled boots which offer possibly the best grip and could be worth the investment for piece of mind.

Matt

thesmithy said:
Widow makers......All Gum trees.
The ones that Kill Firefighters are right on the edge of the fire ground.
They don't look dangerous because they are only scorched at the beginning or the end of the fires run.
usually only 1.5 to 2.5m up the trunk.
The major branches start to drop usually 6 to 8hrs after the fire has passed. Hence Firefighter being injured or killed when mopping up.

This will become more relivant as I explain.

The gum tree relies on water just like all other trees. The deeper the soil the larger the tree. The more water it requires. Hence way larger tree close to water source. Next time your out there compare (only gums)
Now what happens in a fire situation is the amount of heat.
In the centre of a fire the tree becomes extremely distressed and will usually drop all its larger branches soon after the fire passed. The heat just sucks the moisture out of the upper branches first.
The tree then goes in to survival mode pulling the remainder of its moisture back to the trunk.
it all get down to water.

now here is what happen as the creeks rivers dry up the trees go into survival mode. Just over a longer period of time the upper limbs become distressed and commence to dry out. As the trunk pulls the moisture to conserve it.
Once they reach a certain stage it is only a matter of when a large branch will come down.

Here is the scary part they don't make any noise just fracture and drop.....If you ever get to see one just look at the fractured end. It will be bone dry as if it is dead.

Mother Nature at its best........The tree is shedding it's larger branches to survive.

There is no safe method to check a gum tree.......just be mindful of the branches that are horizontal and heavier than the other on the tree.
They are the dangerous suckers.

This rarely happens with other varieties of trees firs, turpentine, mahogany, cedars, iron bark, wattle, Coolabahs bloodwood certain pine trees.
it is all about the bark on these trees. Extremely thick and in most cases flame resistant to a certain degree.

Just every variety of gum. ESPECIALLY spotted, red gum, blue gum, apple, round leaf, river gum, ghost gum, scribbly gum. The list is large

At the extreme end the tree will suck up so much moisture that it will destroy itself. Drying out the supporting surounding earth....Down it will come with not a sound.......All it will take is correct wind direction and a very hot day. THE ROOT SYSTEM BECOMES DISTRESSED AND JUST COLLAPSES.
There is and old saying I live by " If in doubt, There is no doubt." If you have concerns about a tree you are about to pass under in your vehicle turn around find another path and be able to go home alive....you can not replace you as there was ever only one mold made (unless you are a twin)
cheers.

I know this is a not so recent post but I'm thinking the trees you look for in the daytime for shade can be death at night after or during the camp fire.

There is an element of risk in any endeavor. Common sense SHOULD prevail...not so common these days but that's not necessarily bad. Darwinism is a wonderful concept.

Good info there thesmithy.

Take heed or become an evolutionary dead end peeps.

Or don't, more gold for the rest of us.

Anyone intending to visit the Pilbara area be aware of what the locals call "Snappy Gums" along the dry creeks, as already mentioned when the branches break the ends look like petrified wood.
On the upside if you want plenty of wood for your campfire, hook your tow rope around the trunk and give it a short sharp tug with your vehicle and there is an instant pile of wood on the ground. Also means the tree is now relatively safe for shade.

Good information here and timely coming into summer /fire season. Spot on Blisters thesmithy's post has explained Gumtree's and their dangers really well.

Guesse i lucky i mainly work the red dustbowls of qld oufback . The trees so dwarfed out there they will only scratch u

Latest posts