Rocks 'n stuff

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was out scratching around in a new area (for me) on the weekend, and this stuff below was everywhere... Is it some kind of Ironstone conglomerate?

IMAG0263.jpg

Did find a bit of quartz in the area too, but not heaps. Had a quick swing and pan in the creeks, but no colour in the areas I checked. Is it worth going back to swing some of the hill tops where the quartz impregnated rocks were? Or check the creeks more thoroughly?

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

Looks like there's some old mining activity about 6kms away, as the crow flies, might go see if the geology is similar there :)

Top pic looks like heavily eroded ironstone that has undergone high-pressure metamorphism.

Bottom pics like quartz intrusion in fissured Granite bedrock type.

All good signs but if anything on the hillsides were of a gold bearing nature, you would definitely find color in the creeks or gullies below.

Check the natural traps in the creek below for color downstream of the blows, if nothing then most likely a barren example.

Metamorphic said:
Check the natural traps in the creek below for color downstream of the blows, if nothing then most likely a barren example.

Thanks for the diagnosis on the ironstone.

I was disappointed at the lack of natural riffles in the bedrock, not much to crevice. I dug into the upstream side of a log jam, under and around a few boulders, and creviced where I could. It was a serious bush bash in, and no obvious signs of recent workings. Might give it one more crack :)

You know why they say gold is where you find it. Because mostly it can be found in the "text book" places but every now and again despite the logic and experience, and lack of any reason you can justify it turns up. And while your have a confused look on your mug whilst digging it can turn from flecks to specks to pockets and pickers. And then disappear again. Be sure. Be really sure. But in a sane way too. :D

Latest posts