Gold in them hills? Southwest slopes NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC

Reaction score
I have lived on our 40 acre property for 20 years. Over the years have done a lot digging and keep finding certain rocks. There is a very large outcrop of granite along the top of the hill, below this are 2 large what I call reefs, long lines of rock protruded from the ground and I have found long ago creek lines with tiny rounded stones. The ground at best has a light cover of soil, quickly changing to decomposed granite, it is hard but breaks down, it will often shine in the sun with pyrite. I find quartz, iron pyrite, assorted colored pebbles in yellow orange red. The area had a gold mine but do not know the history and there may have been others, several people I know say they have deep dug pits on their properties. This area is generally the southwest slopes NSW.
I have no interest in prospecting at my age.
So my question is, is this good terrain to look on the surface for gold? Would it be of interest to hobbyist prospector?
tks

Hi BC, hopefully somebody more local with knowledge of the area will respond.
I can tell you there are areas in the South West Slopes of NSW that were gold bearing.
The old creek lines with the tiny rounded stones sound interesting & if I was nearby I'd be interested to at least check it out further.
Doing a search on the Trove website might give you some clues on your specific area.

BC said:
I have lived on our 40 acre property for 20 years. Over the years have done a lot digging and keep finding certain rocks. There is a very large outcrop of granite along the top of the hill, below this are 2 large what I call reefs, long lines of rock protruded from the ground and I have found long ago creek lines with tiny rounded stones. The ground at best has a light cover of soil, quickly changing to decomposed granite, it is hard but breaks down, it will often shine in the sun with pyrite. I find quartz, iron pyrite, assorted colored pebbles in yellow orange red. The area had a gold mine but do not know the history and there may have been others, several people I know say they have deep dug pits on their properties. This area is generally the southwest slopes NSW.
I have no interest in prospecting at my age.
So my question is, is this good terrain to look on the surface for gold? Would it be of interest to hobbyist prospector?
tks

It is by far to hard to say without seeing the area and knowing it's location. About the only advice I can give is test the area, panning is the best way to do this.
:Y:

Latest posts