Rock ID

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Was hoping someone may be able to help with a possible id? Very loud and strong signal.Thank you in advance.

Cheers Keano

1497999684_img_5846.jpg

1497999684_img_5847.jpg

Looks like Haematite to me.
Is it heavy? The SG of Haematite is around 5.2 (g/cc).
Haematite will scratch red/brown on a white ceramic tile
Haematite is mildly electrically conductive - possibly only showing a reading on a 1Mohm scale or higher?
Haematite is only very mildly ferromagnetic at room temperature. If it is strongly attracted by a magnet or swings a compass then it may be Magnetite (also a SG of around 5.2)

Keano does it attract a magnet?
It looks like it has a bit of quartz in the side so that rules out anything from outer space :)
How heavy is it compared to other rocks?

Phil

BigWave said:
Looks like Haematite to me.
Is it heavy? The SG of Haematite is around 5.2 (g/cc).
Haematite will scratch red/brown on a white ceramic tile
Haematite is mildly electrically conductive - possibly only showing a reading on a 1Mohm scale or higher?
Haematite is only very mildly ferromagnetic at room temperature. If it is strongly attracted by a magnet or swings a compass then it may be Magnetite (also a SG of around 5.2)

Thank you to everyone who has replied so quickly. Everything Bigwave has indicated the rock is doing it, mildly magnetic at room temp, etc. This is why this group is so good.

Cheers Keano

Thought it might have been the one mad tuna mentioned but not to be unfortunately for you.

Yep, That is a Rock alright, I seen em before. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry mate, lol.

seriously though I have found huge lumps of stuff like that in a paddock and the locals told me it was Boiler Slag, some of them weighed up to 25 kgs or more and they sound like a Hot Rock when you sweep the coil over them,

hope that helps,

John.

Latest posts