Robilt Faceting Machine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
:) G-day, Newbie here and to faceting... I have been offered a Robilt Faceting Machine.. its got a spare transfer jig, 3 index wheels, a box of dop sticks and a few other unidentified bits and pieces... my problem is how much are these machines worth and are they any good. The thing is I have never Faceted before so im going in blind 8) and don't want to be suckered into something that's going to be trouble. any help, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated to a newbee with some skill..... :D

AgateHead ......

From a website - "I went looking for that hall machine a while back and couldn't find it. :-[ It would certainly make life easier if there were any probs being from here. I'm still in the sussing out stage, putting up with the very old and out of wack Robilt, This was one home built from the parts that were available and still are, but nothing like a pre constructed."

I don't know if its the same bloke..qld.. but selling one on gumtree for $1200.

Though at looking at it, its not too much different than mine which is older and I bought for $150 I think or $200 though its only a 64 index wheel included.

No its not advertised yet... and it's in nsw but I will have a look at gumtree and try and find it... Somebody told me that these are worth about $500- 700? im not too sure tho... :eek: .. don't want to pay too much you know ;) ;)

AgateHead...

I never pay too much, especially if its not square or balanced. For $1000 I'd be wanting a full demonstration of its use to proove it cuts evenly like its meant to with no wobbles etc

I'd pay $1000 for a brand new one if I thought it was qorth it.

Offer $150 if they can't show you a demo. If they want more, creep upwards with what you will pay but point out flaws you can see ( old..no demo..could be unbalanced..how accurate is the 'cheater' and angle gague )

Seeing another online gumtree for $1200 if probably why he ia selling it after seeing the add thinkin they could get the same money.

To me its far to old for the price and could be well off accurately.

If you can get it for $150-$250 you may be able to afford any repaira.

Why so cheap? Because you can. Its just as offensive as thier 'offer' and only bartering.

Also ask..what's the absolute lowest they will accept. If its higher than what you can pay..don't play along.

Sellers only want money remember. Will not tell you of flaws.

mmm Thanks AtomRat for your informed advise :D .... very good to receive others opinions as im a newbee at this Faceting stuff....... 8)

AgateHead....

I'm a newbie at faceting too mate and only just got my head around some of the details we lack when starting something.

I'm a lot more experienced in sales of 2nd hand material and equipment though ;)

Don't be afraid to walk away from deals if your not sure too. Number 1 importance, its not the only machine of its kind :)

I paid my old Robilt $350 to a club member (without the transfer jig, which can be expensive). It was in working order, but I had a fair bit of restoration to do on it to have something that looked good (and was relatively accurate), and I had to buy a few new laps.

It is a good starter machine, but it lacks a bit of precision for harder diagrams (like cut facet 1 at 42.2 degree then facet 2 at 42.5, then 42.7... I would say precision is +- 1 degree).
The hard stop is a huge crap as well in my opinion, but at least there is an hard stop.

For the rest, well as I said, it is an excellent beginner machine, but $1000 seems honestly too expensive.
I would put the extra $500 to go for a second hand Gemmasta in that case.

1445398246_img_1165.jpg

Just to summarize:
- $1000 is too much
- $500 looks honest IF it works, has an head that spins parallel to the lap, has an hard stop working (the bush were the screw sits can be fuc**d up), and a working motor.

G-day Gallic Prospector :) your machine looks a little older than this one... I think.. but it's not as nice as yours .. The label on this one is on the "bowl" and I was told the first models it was on mast area ,second and other models they are on the bowl.... and It has a black, smaller motor fitted to this one.... I was thinking $5oo max and check it out for looseness in places that shouldn't be loose.... sorry but could you repost the pics with the areas where I should be concerned about as im not too sure whereabouts you mean on the machine.... newbee you see 8) 8)

As you said AtomRat we are only starting out...... never seen that type before tho, what make is that one ? and nice pickings out of the opp shop bins by the way :D good read that book..... :cool:

Thanks for the advice Guys greatly appreciated that's for sure....

AgateHead......

By parallel head, he means that the whole 'arm mechanism' moves as level in height as the lap ( disk ). The tip of the pole which holds the rock should touch the surface of the disc evenly and not dig deep or lift leaving a gap under if you slide the arm from one side of the disk or the other set at an angle ( make sure you dont do this test on a copper or diamond lap. The main lap )....if that makes sense..

The hard stop is the pin or bolt ( bush & screw ) that the indezing arm stops at whichever angle it is set top. So the part the arm lands on or uses to stop at the correct angle. If its been used lots it could be worn down by a fraction and cause difficulties starting off with the machine

1445461882_stop_screw.jpg

The red arrow is pointing to a screw.
You use this screw to set the stop, when you do not wan to cut below a certain angle.

This screw presses on a bush, and it can be damaged (it is on mine), which makes it difficult to have a reliable stop: with a little pressure, it slides and changes the stop angle... which can be VERY annoying when you star cutting a stone, not impossible, but requires much more attention.

:) :) Thanks AtomRat and GallicProspector for the info... the Faceiter looks like a complicated piece of machinery :rolleyes: but like anything once you start to learn it comes to you... eventually ... Looks good in green.. saw a red one the other day and didn't look as neat as yours GallicProspector.... so i'm thinking with a couple of extra index wheels, and a couple of transfer blocks, and the extras it comes with... maybe $450 ? Are the parts hard to get and expensive for these machines? All I know about Robilt stuff is that they Don't like to answer there phone that's for sure :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes AtomRat it looks just like the one on Gumtree at the moment and he is not that far from me.... could be the same machine..... :/
The old Fella that had the machine has memory issues so I can't ask too many Qs as he becomes frustrated and gets upset... poor bugger 8.( and his Son knows nothing about the world of Lapidary/Gems/rocks ect....but wants max amount for anything his father owned, so some hard Bartering coming up I think....

I will have a good look at it this arvo and let you Fellas know how I go ....... :) :)

AgateHead....

$450-$500 I'd say is a good deal IF its straight.

Ignore the sons poker face. He doesn't want the machine so you could try the walk away game. if he doesn't take 500 or even pushing 550 at absolute max that he can accept as a final offer.. I'd want an extra thrown in too for that ;)

Tell him no one will pay 1000. You can buy a brand new one that's accurate with digital readouts, precise and hasn't been sitting around in a shed for years with stuff stacked on top of it.

You still need to buy new laps, oils, diamond powders..

Does it come with all tools, meaning many dop sticks, there should be some which have a "V", some with a inverted cone, and some flat. Most importanlty a strange angled one which is the 45 dop stick for cutting the table.

There may be rollers for rolling diamond powder into the copper laps. Are there laps? There should be alloy, copper, plastic, diamond?

Does it come with the tool to swap from one dop stick to the other? This would look like a little clamp type device seperate from the machine. You use Iit to transfer the rock from one dop to another accurately.

These are all things you need to check, but most importantly, why he needs to meet your price. You can say you have to buy at least 300 bux worth of extras just to get started if the gear is not there.

Hope you read this before leaving.

I just went up and read your first post.. you may have some or all what you need there. But he doesn't know the names of the items or what they are still , so you can say whatever you want now you have the info ;)

If you want to play, start low

Ok.... I can remember that there was a box of Dop sticks, Allen keys, and various other bits so the machine may be complete.... having a good look at 5pm tonight and I will make a list and check it twice :lol: Sorry its getting close to that time of year... and proberly a full moon too :rolleyes: and I will wear my poker face..... Don't think I will get a demo as nobody knows how to use the thing but if it's nice and tight and runs ok .we will see. Thanks AtomRat....... 2xbeer for you.. 2xbeer for GallicProspector also...

AgateHead...... :)

Yeahh, free beers!

I wouldn't go above $500-550.
For the dops, it is not critical, the diameter is standard and you can easily find new ones.

My motor is not standard, it is a washing machine motor (strong, lots of torque, BUT only one speed).

Yes GallicProspector I always give away free Beers on the Internet ;) :lol:

Well, I had a good look at the Machine last night and seems to check out ok. 8) ... No loose parts, and everything seems to be nice and tight.... Ran motor for about 10min and was cool as, so motor is ok... The location of the 'Stop Screw' was tight and the other areas you Guys mentioned seemed to be nice and tight also..... I made an offer of $500 and the Son laughed :( but the Dad said mmmm leave it with me :) ...... The Dad said ''its mine and I will sell it to whoever I want and for x amount ...BUTT OUT SON".... :eek:

Well I didn't want to be around for the Argument SO I said that's my offer and I left....... All I can do now is let them sought things out and wait for a call after the weekend... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The box of extras has 2 Brass laps, 2 Transfer Blocks, Dop sticks, 3 Index Wheels, and an assortment of ''Tools'' for the machine and a funny looking thing that we didn't know what it is used for 8) ..... All up I think its OK .... so if im lucky I will put some pics up on Monday Night

Thanks AtomRat and GallicProspector for your help :D :D

AgateHead.......

Latest posts