Reporting Telephone Faults

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaros

In Remembrance Nov. 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After putting up with a crackling noise which was was on our Optus line for the past cuppla weeks and having looked up their outage site on Dr Google I decided to take the bullet between my teeth and report the problem. To my surprise I could understand the man on the other end of the line verbally yodeling too me and after a few minutes telling him how many wives I have had, the number of my own teeth I possess etc. I was able to get him to test my line.
I had done an isolation test and did so to avoid the $90 cost they might slug me with if the problem was past the point of entry.
Back in the old days the Telstra cable came into a 2 pair block in the garage,now the Optus optic cable comes across the road about 20ft in the air and into some grey box. Somehow the telephone number is in that cable and gets filtered out into the same 2 pair block.
The man could not understand that I had done the isolation test so I had to go around the house unplug the 3 position cordless phone and fixed T200 in the bedroom as well as the fixed generic wallphone in the laundry under the house. He called me back on my mobile and said the line was ok -I plugged in the cordless base and i was still crackling. Soooo now he would get it checked further. We yodeled goodbye to each other and i put all the rest of the phones back into service.
On picking the last tel. up there was no dial tone, side tone --no bloody tone.
A cuppla yrs ago it took 2 weeks to have a line fault fixed on our phone number.
After 1/2 an hour i checked the line-still. I thought something during the test had blocked the line.
I rang Optus again - same yodeling session and this time he said there was a line fault and he would get a serviceman out tomorrow morning between 7-12am. i.e. if the fella doesn't take a sickie-you know Fridayitis.
It's amazing, I rang to report a noisy line and now we have "sweet fuming armpits". SFA.
The cable internet still works but somewhere out there a terminal crackle exists.
So much for Yodeling in Indian.
To be continued........
Jaros (and his working mobile phone) :mad: :rolleyes:

Classic mate, you've got me laughing my head off here reading about your yodeling sessions :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad it's you and not me, i can never understand what's being said when i contact them, and my wife is bloody deaf just about.
Didn't i read somewhere you used to work for the Telstra Man? Maybe your past sins are coming back to haunt you?
Sorry mate, only kidding, i really do wish you well and hope it all gets fixed quicker than later but don't hold your breathe Jaros. ;) ;)

My line was crackly too recently and my internet was down under 1mb per second, I called TPG who sent out a Telstra tech who traced the line and found a problem 100m down the street, all sorted and much better now. Wish I called them months ago.

Yes i was with PMG, Telecom, Telstra for 36 yrs. Ended up as a STTO2 Lev2 grade4--working on long term faults and the initial prob people had with the Internet with dial up modems etc. I knew what i was talking about. Been out of it for 16yrs now.
I had a repairman not turn up on a FRIDAY from Optus once before-no call or apology. Wasted a day off work waiting. Tore strips off the operator - poor yodeler-Baritone now.
Oh well i can use Skype or the mobile on our wireless to reduce costs for a few days.
Cheers "Odelayeeyou"
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/E8osQ_gaAK0[/video]

Heatho said:
My line was crackly too recently and my internet was down under 1mb per second, I called TPG who sent out a Telstra tech who traced the line and found a problem 100m down the street, all sorted and much better now. Wish I called them months ago.
Were you ADSL2 or Optic Cable Heatho

I once traveled 350 Klms one way in a hurry with a store with no efpos.
Just to go " Click. "
When I walked in the old Bag Manager ripped strips off me for taking so long to get there.
Right in front of everyone.
Mood was rather sober when I unplugged the Christmas Tree and plugged the server back in.
And I announced it over the PA.
Traveled from here in Tathra to Bairnsdale in Victoria super sonic as a bank was offline. No Tellers,
no nothing.
Area Manager and Branch Manager right up me about waiting for 4.5 Hours.
Area Manager went white when I unplugged the Lan cable from his Lap Top and back into the server.
They live amoungst us. :D

Jaros, for once you make me giggle...
Our internet in Cairns has been out for a week...
Just got it back today!!!
I think when I jointed a 200 pair, it took me 4 hours??? (Cant remember..long time ago!)

Well!! Optus told me yesterday that they would be out today between 0700 and 1200. The linesman rang at 0730 and was here at 0755-well done.
Initially said the grey box on our outside wall was out of date and would need to connect the tel.line via our Netgear wireless modem. Any he checked out the point of entry-dead. Made a call to someone and as i thought, the "fella" who tested it in the first instance had blocked the line in the exchange. So much for the 2nd call i made who couldn't be f#$%ed testing thoroughly enough to realise that the line was blocked out.
After line was released the noise was still present and they picked up a faulty line card in the exch. in Rochedale Qld. Swapped it and surprise, surprise -still crackly.
We now have network noise fault they are looking into. Must be a lot of people in Brisbane who didn't notice it? and report it.
Anyway our noisy line is back and we still have 17Mbps download and 45Mbps upload.
Our line (db) levels are way to high but are being looked into as well.
So - great service to have a tech out next day.
Good work in the field anyway!! and no "yodeling" needed.
Jaros ............Cont'd :|

Classic case of what is wrong and who to blame.
They will be in a hurry because it is Friday Mate.
And I would not like to see their current fault list. LOL
I had a problem here not long ago.
No adsl sinc or any thing.
After " Yodeling " on the phone for 2 hours, I run my line test program.
Exchange was dead in the water. PMSL.
Was fixed 6 Hours Later.

I had an older couple who asked me to look at their phone issue while doing some elec. work for them. Turns out they have had intermittent service for over 6 months, the tech's have a look and leave and say it's working. Phone call after call and Telstra kept putting it back onto customer issue. Disconnected back to NTD, called faults and explained issue, elderly customer worried about not having a phone line and that there are so many Telstra maintenance tags in the NTD and no resolution they'll have to install a bigger box soon. Must have got the right person, was sorted the next day.

I've had so many poor experiences that seem to arise from the process of customer reporting the fault to what info the line tech gets. I once had to argue over a couple of days that a Fig 8 service does not have more than one pair!

Latest posts