Raking Leaf Litter & Rehab.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, wondering if there is a protocol on the raking of leaf litter when detecting. Am keen to get the coil as close to the ground as possible, that mallee scrub can really build it up. Obviously prepared to repatriate the area after searching, but don't want to cause trouble for, or within the fraternity. Thoughts? Steve.

Stocky111 said:
[Hi, wondering if there is a protocol on the raking of leaf litter when detecting. Am keen to get the coil as close to the ground as possible, that mallee scrub can really build it up. Obviously prepared to repatriate the area after searching, but don't want to cause trouble for, or within the fraternity. Thoughts? Steve.
This method has been used in and around at Karara Qld. For years. Have no problems with it, as long as you push it all back. Wont work in Ballarat area its the moss thats in the way Have wait until summer when it dies off.

Thanks for you're input guys. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. I have seen areas cleared off whilst in the bush with little or no effort to repatriate. Could almost go unnoticed but to the keen eye with new leaf litter already masking the work.Thanks again . Stocky.

I had the most enjoyable day yet a few months ago detecting an allowable prospecting area close to a known Potato patch in the GT (No gold nuggies, but fun none the less).

I took a couple of snaps before and after as at the time I wasn't sure if raking it would perhaps brass someone off, and thought perhaps it may go some way to explaining to anyone who calls me out for it that I have done, and do, the right thing when I have finished.

Part of the raked area
1565409785_photo015_1.jpg

I won't bore you with all 34 pics! But that's part of a raked area that took me about 1 1/2 hours to clear of branches and leaf litter, making sure that any established plant was left behind intact.

Holes (there were about 3 promising ones that turned out to be either deep junk or pockets of highly mineralized clay)

1565408089_photo028_1.jpg

1565409969_photo027_1.jpg

Photo of area when I'd finished later that day
1565408270_photo032.jpg

I keep branches in one or two piles either side, leaf litter separate, and when digging holes keep as much topsoil as I can separate from rock and clay. Not only is it important to put stuff back how you found it, but it's important that you put any sticks and branches back on top as much as it was before when you found it. Why? because there is a reason why a certain plant, fungi/mushroom, animal, insect etc lives and frequents there. And a bloody good reason why the place looked so beautiful when you found it in the first place (unless it's already part of an old mining area upside-down moonscape).

This land is in Dja Dja Warrung country. Walk with respect and hopefully we will all pursue our own cultural beliefs in co-operation and harmony for many years and generations to come :Y:

Looks completely untouched to me, I only logged in to give it a thumbs up, but I don't know how too.
Great work anyway and a +1 to your likes. :Y:

SimKlay said:
Nice work Deepseeker, looks untouched

Thanks SimKlay & everyone, that's the way it should be. Unfortunately that's part of the problem, in that I'm not the only one who does the right thing. I've been inspired by the many other members on here who also backfill their holes, replace dislodged plants, refill their holes (and even the unfilled holes of others before them), and take home the trash they find in and around the holes/areas they are detecting. All of us who do leave it looking "Untouched" are forgotten by the people who complain about damage caused by prospecting, simply because they can't see that we have been there. All the public get to see pictures of and witness themselves when bushwalking or cycling is the damage left by the rogue/idiot prospectors, who I am sure are in the minority. The irony is that those people are so selfish and self centered, that if they banned prospecting they would still do it anyway.

Latest posts