Questions for "Loamer"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Loamer , i have singled you out as you seem to know your 'stuff'? I have just bought an SD2200D and i am curious as to why you contradict minelabs manual in regards to running the machine in "Fixed" when it has Auto ground tracking. They recommend running in Auto and only switching to fixed if the ground is mild, i dont think most of vic`s gold fields are mild are they? and also switching to fixed as soon as you hear a target.What`s your take on this?

Reading one of your older posts, you said you had found a virgin patch and you said it would take you years to detect it properly.Obviously you wont tell me where this patch is, i am just curious, is /was this patch in known vic fields, ie ; all fields that are contained in doug stones books? or was it in a patch of crown land that was not known to have contained gold( old timers never stumbled there).
20 Years ago i bought an SD2000 and i went to wanyarra and i managed to find a 1grammer on the edge of a bulldozed patch,and i also dug up a squashed beer can at 2 feet on this patch, took me 1 hour incredibly hard clay, the signal was real loud, i reckon those machines could have easily hit 4 feet on this target,and that was using just the 11dd coil.At that time i was really 'green' regarding gold detecting and gave it away real quick, but i wished i had researched alot more at that time, coz in 20 years i could have pulled a couple thousand oz`s out of the ground in vic and w.a..Time has passed, and now that the ground has been flogged ,now i`m looking to get back into it (only 20 years too late).
I`m from s.a , i`m coming over next week with my brother to have a swing, where planning on a 7 day trip, i am thinking about hitting some deeper ground that i hope has`nt been flogged any suggestions?

Last I heard from Loamer he had some health issues, and has not been on the forum since 19 April 2015.

Each had their own method way back then, fixed or auto, I preferred fixed, but I put a quick trak button on mine so
ground balancing often was no problem for me.

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t8946-how-to-fit-a-quick-trak-button-to-your-sd2200

A virgin patch is just that, a piece of ground containing some spoils that no-one has detected before, be it on
maps or not. Some of my most productive areas have been not on any maps what so ever, and miles from any
mining activity, recent or old.

Ground Balance Procedure for Fixed
1. Select the Ground Balance switch to Fixed.

2. Whilst keeping the coil parallel to the ground, lower and raise the coil between 25mm and 100mm (1" and 4") over the ground. Try to lower the coil as close to the ground as possible without touching it.

3. While moving the coil press and hold the Quick-Trak button.

Note: This is the same effect as changing the Ground Balance switch to Tracking on the front panel.

4. Continue moving the coil up and down until the ground noise has stopped. When there is no longer a change in the Threshold the detector is Ground Balanced.

5.Release the Quick-Trak button and commence detecting.

Periodically re-Ground Balance with the Quick-Trak button every few metres.

Whilst sweeping the coil, to test if you are still in harmony with the ground, stop then raise and lower the coil. If the Threshold remains stable then you are still ground balanced.

Note: When searching in Fixed it is very important to regularly check the Ground Balance and reset when required. Testing, by raising and lowering the coil, is quick and simple and should become a regular part of your detecting technique.

Redfin
Damned good solid advice there mate. :D
That is what I used to do with my GT1600.
Even though a VLF, The technique is the same.
Low and Slow. :cool:

Latest posts