quartz reef/gold bearing?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20x

scott
Reaction score
As I continued digging in to my cut/trench today I struck this rock containing a quartz matrix,approx 4m of top soil down to the top of this and bedrock is about 3 feet below. Ive never seen anything like it before. im partially colour blind but it just looks beautiful.

could this be gold bearing?

1398588385_reef_1.jpg

1398590068_reef_2_800x533.jpg

1398591416_reef_3_800x533.jpg

scott :cool:

20xwater said:
As I continued digging in to my cut/trench today I struck this rock containing a quartz matrix,approx 4m of top soil down to the top of this and bedrock is about 3 feet below. Ive never seen anything like it before. im partially colour blind but it just looks beautiful.

could this be gold bearing?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2569/1398588385_reef_1.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2569/1398590068_reef_2_800x533.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2569/1398591416_reef_3_800x533.jpg

Looks like you need help - i can be there in 4 hours :D

looks like slaty creek mate these quartz stringers running across the creek sometimes hold gold, only way to tell is crush the buggers up. personally i find more gold in the crevises of these stringers :) mother natures perfect riffle

G0lddigg@ said:
looks like slaty creek mate these quartz stringers running across the creek sometimes hold gold, only way to tell is crush the buggers up. personally i find more gold in the crevises of these stringers :) mother natures perfect riffle

hi goldig, its the colour of the quartz that ive found interesting, my eyes see yellow and orange, dad says its got heaps of pink in it and I thought pink is good right?...I was talking to an old local last week and he told me has struck visible gold in these reefs ey. either way its actually in my way so its about to get smashed out of there.
didn't get much sleep last night thinking about this :lol:

ps...from what I can tell this slate bed is running at about 45 degrees of the bedrock foliation so im also hoping its like an underground dike and could hold gold cons on its top side...hoping ;)

yeh pink can be good, usually from high temperature and yellow is a good indicator as well, only way to tell is to crush the sucker ive got buckets of rock very similar some have had gold some none at all. its the old story gold is where you find it :)

to be honest in the areas that ive found gold when i think about it they have mostly all had pyrites in them. if you can look through old mining records for the area you may be able to find a reference to the indicator that's literally gold.
heres a few slaty creek samples close to the monte cristo reef intersection
1398638841_20140428_082200.jpg

If there us gold in this area. I would crush up a bit and see what pans out.

Looks promising. It looks like the quartz seams you see in the hardrock mines.

Good luck with it, Tone

ok fella's, just dolly'd a small sample and it had plently of colour in it...game on!!! :cool:

G0lddigg@ said:
yeh pink can be good, usually from high temperature and yellow is a good indicator as well, only way to tell is to crush the sucker ive got buckets of rock very similar some have had gold some none at all. its the old story gold is where you find it :)

to be honest in the areas that ive found gold when i think about it they have mostly all had pyrites in them. if you can look through old mining records for the area you may be able to find a reference to the indicator that's literally gold.
heres a few slaty creek samples close to the monte cristo reef intersection
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/357/1398638841_20140428_082200.jpg

yeah that's the stuff bro...bring it on :cool:

ok people here is the first slab un-earthed, its just over 1m long and the weight of it is umbelievable...

1398669584_reef_4_800x533.jpg

1398669612_reef_5_800x600.jpg

1398669642_reef_6_533x800.jpg

1398669668_reef_7_533x800.jpg

1398669697_reef_8_533x800.jpg

1398669721_reef_9_533x800.jpg

1398669747_reef_10_533x800.jpg

1398669769_reef_11_533x800.jpg

now what the hell do I do with it? :lol:

Hunting the yellow said:
theres some nice looking quartz u have there m8 i would crush it all :) see what u get :eek:

ive only got a dolly pot :lol:...this thing needs turning into powder right? :cool:

yeh mate you'll have to smash it up to see if it has gold, few buckets and a rock hammer should do it. hope theres some gold in there mate

thanks fella's, not sure how to go about this but I want it processed properly to know exactly how much is in it. may I ask if anyone has a crusher and wave table to process it?...chances are good that I discover more of this but in case I don't I don't want to end up with spending more on gear than its possibly worth...need help on this 1 please?

cheers scott :cool:

Hey Scott. Youv'e really hit the ground running. i hope you don't clean out the whole area just leave a bit for me. On a serious note, if you are working in a cut that is 4 metres deep it may be time to think about ground support. Especially if its wet. If you need something a bit quicker to break up that lump of reef I have an air hammer But you would need a 12cfm compressor.

jethro said:
Hey Scott. Youv'e really hit the ground running. i hope you don't clean out the whole area just leave a bit for me. On a serious note, if you are working in a cut that is 4 metres deep it may be time to think about ground support. Especially if its wet. If you need something a bit quicker to break up that lump of reef I have an air hammer But you would need a 12cfm compressor.

hey buddy, good to hear from you again. it actually breaks up really easy(majorly decomposed), I tried to remove it and keep it as 1 slab but it broke, ive got a 1 chunk that's about 60% and the rest broke in to about 6 pieces and another bucket full of smaller bits???.

it would take a year to crush it down to powder with a dolly. the gold is not visible to the eye but its there. will do some more tests on it on Wednesday when I get back from Seymour. way to tired to do anything more on it tonight. haven't slept because of this thing ey :lol:

cheers mate

ps...did you notice a bit of workings on the inside of that 180 bend just down from lightning creek camp? :lol:

Latest posts