Quarry Gallery and Discussion of Strata

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As we know when looking down from satellite view, we get to view the quarries and what they are digging at, depths, drill holes for explosives etc. Like the Road Cuttings gallery thread, I thought I'd start this for others to share quarries thet find interesting, geology wise. They can sometimes be a direct window into the strata of our earth, so if you'd like to join in, feel free. I'm still learning geology, and every bit helps. What do you see in the photos etc..I'm not sure how this will go..but may become another interesting topic. Locations of quarries can be listed if the uploader wishes so we can zoom in and out in sat view?

Mods - i cant decide where to place these threads having no geology sections or similar at the moment..place them where you will

Below are some examples:

This is a general quarry for road surfaces and concrete aggrigates mostly. By the looks of it, they are getting into those mudstones and silts towards the bottom. Is this correct?
1450746939_14507466815590.jpg

Here's the local Lilydale, VIC, limestone quarry and has been a supplier for australia for many years. Lime and marble being the most used. I know this quarry contains pockets with calcite crystals and fossils of small crustatians. It the very near future, it will close, be filled with water, and turned into an estate unfortunately. I'm trying to get contact to preserve a few trailor loads.
1450746960_14507466933101.jpg

didnt have that much water in it the last time i was there you could see the mineralized zone of rock in the bottom. zoom in on the part behind the pink cliffs & the unnamed road in the top left corner

AtomRat said:
I can't scroll back in timeline history of sattellite photos..an older year would show it low. If someone else could..?

You can try nearmap.com. You can scroll back in time on a map.

If the pic of the quarry was taken from "google earth"... They have recently updated there satellite photos, so if you were looking at an area say a month ago you were actually looking at how the area looked in 2011... Not sure when the current imagery was taken but it is more recent

Latest posts