QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
SteelPat said:
grubstake said:
Rush said:
Just finished reading an interesting review of JP's review by a tester of the QED for the last 10 years.
Link here.
http://www.finders.com.au/finders-forum-info/finders-forum/

Interesting - thanks for that. For the convenience of others, the specific comments on JP's review are halfway down this page:
http://www.finders.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9362&start=1020&sid=d47d57d25f0fb1ebd5c0cecad551ca35
(the post is from GoldAu)

Interesting as the QED in its current form hasnt been around for 10 years. He hasnt tested this final version either so I am not sure how he can have any input into this testing. He just doesnt seem to like JP.

If you read a bit further down the page, Reg Wilson (Whom I know and have a great deal of respect for and had a lot to do with Bruce Candy and Minelab in the early days ) has said the JP report is reasonably accurate.

I think it was a week or 2 ago that JP ordered his QED so I would imagine that it is the current model, because I don't think earlier version went in to full production,

I doubt that he ordered one a week or two ago.
There are people who ordered a lot earlier than that who are waiting for delivery. At the start of JP,s review, he states, with the help of a friend.....that could be the clue. Keeping in mind that a 2nd hand QED was sold on Gumtree recently......for a profit.

Well how ever he got it, It must be the latest version there is no point in reviewing the older model if there is such a thing and I have seen posts by those closer to the source and they seemed ok with his report so I Guess it must of been the correct model. I can't see JP reviewing an Old machine, that would serve no purpose.

davent said:
Keeping in mind that a 2nd hand QED was sold on Gumtree recently......for a profit.

Hey davent....just a cpl things...i didn't see the ad itself, and G'tree shows 0, Zilch, Nada.....did you, or anyone else, happen to capture a screen shot of the ad?

The second thing is...how do you 'know' it sold for a profit?...They may not have got the asking price...perhaps the 'buyer' educated them prior to purchase???...

I have seen this referenced a few times around the traps now, yet have seen no evidence to support it...so i am now curious as to it's veracity.....

Yes it may have been 'listed'....but do we really know it was 'sold' (at all?)....or, even for a 'profit'??? (some folks do like to play games, especially this topic)

PS...this isn't a personal affront to you davent,,,i am just querying the 'info.'... :8

Gypsy

Heatho said:
............though I left the link there for transparency only. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I don't see commenting on JP's review as a problem........

Thanks Heatho as I was somewhat concerned to add a link to that particular thread.

No you are right Gypsy, I don't know for.sure either, and I'm deffinatly not having a go at anyone either.
I did read that a QED was sold on Gumtree for $2250 and the post code of the buyer was central north Qld, I guess like a lot of other people, I parroting info.....I will stop that right now.
I read the review. The 1st few peragraphs threw me a bit, but after that, I found it a good read, with by far the most detailed info available on the QED to date.
I don't care how JP got one, but I'm glad he did, it will be handy info when mine arrives tomorrow or Tuesday, and no doubt, it will be helpful.

Thanks for the review JP.

BTW, why would capture a screen shot of an add that's got nothing to do with me. My info came from the QED retailer whilst talking to him regarding my purchase. He did not give me details of the add, just that a QED had sold on Gumtree, I read the details on another forum, just like 90% of the info filtering onto here.

:8 Once again davent, i wasn't having a go at 'you' per se, we all tend to do the same, and i am as guilty as anyone, so i am not qualified to stand in judgement. I just believe info. is better shared when everyone has all the facts...

As it stands,...we are still waiting for some results to be revealed, by all accounts...

Still need to read of large nuggets being found that the 5K & Z7 missed...though i am not so confident this will be the case. 8)

I am still undecided if it is something for 'my' kit....

Look forward to your reviews davent.. :Y:

GGA

Rush said:
Heatho said:
............though I left the link there for transparency only. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I don't see commenting on JP's review as a problem........

Thanks Heatho as I was somewhat concerned to add a link to that particular thread.

That's all good, there were no direct personal attacks in it, though I did have a good think about it. :)

I'm glad the members here are discussing the QED in a constructive manner. Positive and negative points/opinions are all relevant as long as they are real and honest is all that counts.

GypsyGoldAu said:
Still need to read of large nuggets being found that the 5K & Z7 missed...though i am not so confident this will be the case. 8)

Realistically though, given what we know of the QED - its pricing, design/construction, limited controls - isn't this the least likely of outcomes, almost like a Corolla beating a Porsche? Minelab's range leaders are enormously sophisticated machines and in the case of the GPX5000, the product of several generations of iterative design refinement.

If the QED proves more effective than its direct PI competitors from Whites and perhaps even the more expensive Garrett ATX and Minelab SDC, that's a huge win for its designer/manufacturer, IMHO. Given its size/weight advantages, I think it would find a big market if present production/distribution hurdles can be overcome. JP's very detailed comments seem encouraging in this regard and his willingness to step into the fray and make them so publically speaks well for his integrity, I feel.

I had asked over at the other forum this, but in case it was missed... :8

per;..."Just wondering from any GT user's (of QED) here who were out Sat or Fri or even Thurs?... (info. added)

As there is a front over us the last 24-30 hrs, i am wondering if you noticed any higher EMI activity leading up to now, and how effective was it in reducing the EMI (in comparison to the blue box)?

Cheers

The above is essentially the same, tho i added a few 'semantics' for clarity's sake.

Anyone able to update please??

GGA

Grubstake, no doubt, much of what you write has merit.

As yet though, the ability for it to find 'large' nuggets, equal too, or deeper, as the case may, or may not be, in comparison to ML's offerings...is yet to be revealed...it is merely an 'observation', not an accusation. (I leave that to other's)...

I have read of 5 Oz bits being found during 'development'...but nothing 'verified' with the 'latest' rendition of the unit.

I don't doubt there will be a market for it, that was never an argument of mine....that it is a PI, is relatively cost effective for some, lightweight, and 'works' in the GT are ALL pluses,....yes. Are there other 'feature' sets i'd like to see?? YES!..as i'm sure the user's would as well.

I merely point out we have yet to hear what one might call 'substantive' testing outcomes....there's more to be revealed, is all.

Hope this clear's my thoughts above...

GGA

davent said:
I did read that a QED was sold on Gumtree for $2250 and the post code of the buyer was central north Qld, I guess like a lot of other people, I parroting info.....

I read that too - the user I saw post it is a serial forum groupie-cum-pest who has questionable knowledge (just seems to parrot stuff off other forums, as well as reciting manufacturer specs) and who is now known as a gossip monger who deals in imaginings and fantasy, and who has been moved on from many forums.

Not saying that that particular fact couldn't be true, but unless he knows the seller (or is the seller) how the he'll could he know that the buyer lives in a certain post code? That stuff is not available on gumtree - gumtree does not work like that (nor even eBay for that matter, again unless you're the seller, I which case you'd know the buyers details).

Ridge Runner said:
SteelPat said:
Interesting as the QED in its current form hasnt been around for 10 years. He hasnt tested this final version either so I am not sure how he can have any input into this testing. He just doesnt seem to like JP.

If you read a bit further down the page, Reg Wilson (Whom I know and have a great deal of respect for and had a lot to do with Bruce Candy and Minelab in the early days ) has said the JP report is reasonably accurate.

I think it was a week or 2 ago that JP ordered his QED so I would imagine that it is the current model, because I don't think earlier version went in to full production,

Steelpat did not say ANYTHING about him believing that JP not have a current model machine.

He is saying that the user GOLDAU, on another forum, who did a "Review of JP's review" has obviously not based his 10 years experience, and subsequent rebuttals of JP's review, on a current model machine, because for most of that time the machines that GOLDAU was using would have been previous version machines.

Unless he (GOLDAU) got an update one very recently, in which case most of his 10 previous years of testing outdated machines goes out the window anyway.

He is questioning the legitimacy of GOLDAU's rebuttals to JP, seeing as they were most likely different version machines (JP's presumably being a current model).

davent said:
BTW, why would capture a screen shot of an add that's got nothing to do with me. My info came from the QED retailer whilst talking to him regarding my purchase. He did not give me details of the add, just that a QED had sold on Gumtree, I read the details on another forum, just like 90% of the info filtering onto here.

:8 :8 Sorry i missed this Dave. My only thought why you might have had a screen-shot, was entirely due to your obvious excitement, and therefore 'interest', in the QED, and you may have been chasing down anything to do with it????

I wasn't suggesting anything...and is why i also put ..."or anyone else" as i was just curious to see the 'original' ad...nothing more.. :(

Sorry if i offended you in any way...that wasn't my intent.

Cheers

Ridge Runner said:
SteelPat said:
grubstake said:
Rush said:
Just finished reading an interesting review of JP's review by a tester of the QED for the last 10 years.
Link here.

Interesting - thanks for that. For the convenience of others, the specific comments on JP's review are halfway down this page:
http://www.finders.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9362&start=1020&sid=d47d57d25f0fb1ebd5c0cecad551ca35

I was saying that the guy who had a go about JP's test didn't have latest version to test

SteelPat said:
Ridge Runner said:
SteelPat said:
grubstake said:
Rush said:
Link here.

I was saying that the guy who had a go about JP's test didn't have latest version to test

Yes mate I saw that,

SteelPat said:

Yes it appears so although the guy must be disappointed after giving so much of his time during those 10 years helping to develop the QED towards its current form.

Rush said:
SteelPat said:

Yes it appears so although the guy must be disappointed after giving so much of his time during those 10 years helping to develop the QED towards its current form.

It's a shame when things like that happen. When you have been helping out with a product for that amount of time you would start to feel you have a stake in that product. I hope that they can get over their differences so he could at least get to try a production machine.

I would like to give the machine a try myself.

Latest version ? As far as I am aware there is only one version .. the test and the one sold at goldsearch .. minimal difference between the 2

From what I can find there has been at least 2 recent versions? Minelab had originally been in dispute with Howard for possibly infringing on their intellectual property.

In Howards own words:

"This led to a long series of events and a back and forth between them and myself.

To cut to the chase, I decided to change my ground balance method enough to satisfy Minelab's concerns and to bring an end to the dispute. I am please to report that I am in receipt of a letter from Peter Charlesworth, Minelab's General Manager stating that they have no objection to my selling a detector that utilises the said change/s. I am sure that Peter is just as relieved as I am that the dispute has been resolved without any further cost of time or money."

Not sure how many distributed prototypes would have the old ground balance method if there are indeed any about? How old is your prototype? ;)

Latest posts