QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
hippyhunter said:
Ded Driver said:
hippy hunter I have bought a couple of things thru Gumtree for a fair few $$, & I ask first if they will send me a copy of their drivers licence, allowing them to cover their address & expiry if they wish. you only really need a name & DL#. Its not a guarantee as they could use anyones, or a stolen one etc, but those that reply with it very rapidly are usually more genuine.
Not fail safe, but adds a bit of confidence.
DED

Yeah. Its still putting too much trust in some random person for my liking
A good scammer will be proffessional at lying and knowing what you want to hear.
Even if someone gives you their actual licence (minus address as you mentioned), it still doesnt stop them.from sending you a detector with a fault for example. And the cops arent going to help anyone get reimbursed for faulty goods. If it doesnt turn up period they might listen to you, but in that case a fake id has most likely been used.
When buying anything used electronics privately it is a huge gamble to buy without testing the equipment first.
Sending money to a stranger without the goods in your hand is an even larger gamble. And i think it applies more as time goes by becuase people are becoming less trustworthy and more desperate by the year..
OPPORTUNITY will do strange things to seemingly respectable and honest people.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ;)
Im with you...If I can't test it myself or be able to take it back if I find a fault when I get it home ,Then I won't buy it...Just chucking my 2c in :) :Y:

Its 5 cents these days i think :lol:

One bonus i really like about the idea of going a new qed is the opportunity to have a training session in the field with someone that has great experience on this particular detector. Its hard to put a value on that as it could save many days of trial and error, and effectively not detecting properly while learning the machine.

hippyhunter said:
Ded Driver said:
hippy hunter I have bought a couple of things thru Gumtree for a fair few $$, & I ask first if they will send me a copy of their drivers licence, allowing them to cover their address & expiry if they wish. you only really need a name & DL#. Its not a guarantee as they could use anyones, or a stolen one etc, but those that reply with it very rapidly are usually more genuine.
DED

A good scammer will be proffessional at lying and knowing what you want to hear.
Even if someone gives you their actual licence (minus address as you mentioned), it still doesnt stop them.from sending you a detector with a fault for example. And the cops arent going to help anyone get reimbursed for faulty goods. If it doesnt turn up period they might listen to you, but in that case a fake id has most likely been used.
When buying anything used electronics privately it is a huge gamble to buy without testing the equipment first.
Sending money to a stranger without the goods in your hand is an even larger gamble. And i think it applies more as time goes by becuase people are becoming less trustworthy and more desperate by the year..

Jason, just keep in mind Howard would repair the unit free of charge as these have a tranferable 5 year warranty.

Aussiedigs said:
hippyhunter said:
Ded Driver said:
DED

Jason, just keep in mind Howard would repair the unit free of charge as these have a tranferable 5 year warranty.

Yeah aussie. Had that in mind. He sounds like a top bloke. I hope i get to meet him sometime.
Cheers,
J
Cheers

Another thing i have been wondering about the qed is that it seems like one of the advantages a gpx has is multi channel capability. I would imagine this was because of patent issues with minelab. I wonder if a modification (not really restrictes by a patent), could be done to give the qed multi channel capability such as a gpx has. Im not that familiar with how minelabs gpx multi channel works. Am planning to try to read up on it more tonight, but does anyone think it would make the qed any more capable, and even possible or not?
Cheers, j

pinfire opals said:
Hi Jase the QED has multi channel by adjusting the bias above or below null im pretty sure, no doubt someone will correct me if this is not the case :Y:
Thats pretty cool if thats is true. I have read in reviews and other forums qed threads its referred to as a "single channel" detector. I think in tha guy jp's review was one place. Anyway. Hopefully you are right :Y:
Cheers j

QED manual - Technical Specifications said:
A single channel Pulse Induction metal detector using a differential integrator as the null summation / averaging means to null the ground and static magnetic fields.

THS-B threshold (Bias) is used to provide selective ("BIASED") enhancement for either small (rising pitch) or large (falling pitch) targets.
It isn't multi channel.

mbasko said:
A single channel Pulse Induction metal detector using a differential integrator as the null summation / averaging means to null the ground and static magnetic fields.

THS-B threshold (Bias) is used to provide selective ("BIASED") enhancement for either small (rising pitch) or large (falling pitch) targets.
It isn't multi channel.
Got ya, anyone knows its only single channel, says it in the first ever manual, not sure if it still does. I put this comment up knowing you would be the only reply, and from a person who knows nothing about the newest and latest qed as you dont own one or used one, and look at the only person who likes your post, the other qed basher Ararat gold, you 2 are so transparent, why the mods let this go one blows me away, as no other detector brand cops anything close to all this flack. Im just about done with this one sided forum :100:

Unfortunately there is an certain element of the detecting community that would love to see the QED fail. With some you can read between the lines of what looks to be loaded posts. Interest in this detector to some is more about potential faults or failures than its successes. Strange indeed!

I can assure everyone that my intentions arent qed bashing (if you meant what i wrote). My question is a genuine point of interest. Potentials of a mod that might be not a part of the qed due to patent reasons. I think thats a fair question to know if any further potential is available. Have heard of the minelab mods, so why not qed? might have some silly questions sometimes if i cant find anything on a thread already existing. Apolagies in advance. Haha
I have noticed the unusual rivalry between the qed and minelab fanboy section. I find it pretty rediculous, but also have to say it seems more than about the metal detector. Anyway, i dont want any part of that scene and will ignore post that are just bashing or randomly rude. There is a difference between that and disagreeing about something civilly. I dont have a problem with anyone here & wont make enemies on a forum.
I really hope the qed format succeeds and grows as much as the owner wants and will be happy to be a part of it as a user

P.s.the only reason i dont have a new qed yet is because they dont take card.

Cheers. Jason

pinfire opals said:
mbasko said:

It isn't multi channel.
Got ya, anyone knows its only single channel, says it in the first ever manual, not sure if it still does. I put this comment up knowing you would be the only reply, and from a person who knows nothing about the newest and latest qed as you dont own one or used one, and look at the only person who likes your post, the other qed basher Ararat gold, you 2 are so transparent, why the mods let this go one blows me away, as no other detector brand cops anything close to all this flack. Im just about done with this one sided forum :100:
Dont let it get to you pinfire. Think of all the good reading you would miss. And one less person to stick up for the qed.
I didnt really take those post on anything other than their face value, but i am only recent here so there might be history involved. So cant really comment on what you and aussirdigs read into it.
Cheers, j

mbasko said:

It isn't multi channel.

Does ths b adjustment give a similar result to having multi channels?
Cheers, j

No not you Jason, just an observation of what i have read in the past and not too distant.

Interesting that i was shut out of a particular detecting group for recommending the QED as an option. Simply amazing that people can show such a level of self serving bias over a home grown PI detector!

Aussiedigs said:
No not you Jason, just an observation of what i have read in the past and not too distant.

Interesting that i was shut out of a particular detecting group for recommending the QED as an option. Simply amazing that people can show such a level of self serving bias over a home grown PI detector!

Ah cool. Sorry i was 50/50 wether itwas me too. I been up all night ao my PR skills are a bit down at the moment. :argh:

Thats a bit schoolyardish to get excluded.
Anyway everyone knows detecting and panning is better alone or with one or maybe two other people. I do prospecting to get away from numbskulls in the city. Partially. Hope to break out for good someday too (with pleasure).
Cheers, j

After browsing the gpx manual to find the channel selection section, from what i can make out any advantage the gpx can get from its multi channel selection is achievable (at least withthe same issues in mind) to some degree with the settings on the qed (with only sketchy knowledge of the qed operations (i am off here for 30 minites to flip through the qed manual. I forgot i downloaded that the other night. Oops.
J

hippyhunter said:
mbasko said:

It isn't multi channel.

Cheers, j
Sort of but not really.
There's a lot going on with GPX MPS & timings over threshold bias adjustment but the QED is effective for the price.
I wouldn't sell a GPX/GPZ to buy one but if I had under $2k to spend then it would be #1 on my list.

pinfire opals said:
mbasko said:

It isn't multi channel.
You sir are a complete idiot!
First you say:
Hi Jase the QED has multi channel by adjusting the bias above or below null im pretty sure, no doubt someone will correct me if this is not the case
Then try to back track by saying that anyone knows it's single channel :rolleyes:
Then you try to insist I'm QED bashing. I just pointed out the truth not provide misinformation like yourself. That truth & explanation of THS-B is directly out of the QED PL2 current manual.
For your information I owned, used & found gold with a QED PL2 that was up to the latest spec apart from the new ground balancing only recently updated - the same as the one you were trying to SELL/SOLD!!!!!
All detector brands, including Minelab, cop their fair share of criticism on this forum if you care to look!! The QED has had a very fair go on this forum & continues to do so. It's usually disgruntled QED owners (that obviously know little about using it & can't handle any constructive criticisms whatsoever) that seem to stir up trouble here. Don't like the forum - leave, who effin cares.

mbasko said:
hippyhunter said:
mbasko said:

It isn't multi channel.

Cheers, j
Sort of but not really.
There's a lot going on with GPX MPS & timings over threshold bias adjustment but the QED is effective for the price.
I wouldn't sell a GPX/GPZ to buy one but if I had under $2k to spend then it would be #1 on my list.
Ok sounds reasonable. I just read the qed manual finally, and have to say, even though it is a pre ipdate version it was really easy to understand for someone with little detector experience or knowledge. Loved it!!!
To me in the gpx manual it read like the general aim of channel selection on the gpx is to negate emi and different ground types.
As far a i could make out the qed adresses these concerns with smr, mode adjust. Maybee a slightly more manual way than a gpx. Or something like that. :argh:
Cheers. J

Latest posts