QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AEGPF said:
AEGPF said:
Correcting misinformation and lies on another forum

ADMIN EDIT: We are not interested in getting involved in what happens on other forums.
Cheers

Ramjet

Sorry for breaking your rules but i though it was important for your members to get factual information on the QED.
So for the benefit of your members I can say that the Gb method and the Gb firmware and signal acquisition and processing are identical in QED prototype's and the production models. The latest production models have a firmware update and one circuit component has also been replaced with one with better specs.
The QED does not contain any patent protected IP from any other company.It does use patent applied for IP from Dave Emery with his knowledge and consent.

Thanks for restating your info Doug, as said by Dave, the QED will get a proper run in this thread, all honest, relevant and factual info whether good or not so good will stay. As said also we know exactly the type of stuff that has been happening elsewhere and we are not interested in bringing any of that trash talk here, we have kept a very close eye on this thread and will continue to do so. Anyone can post in this thread and as long as the info is presented in an honest and un-biased no BS type of way then it's all good. The members here probably aren't interested in what's been said elsewhere either.

Cheers

Heatho said:
AEGPF said:
AEGPF said:
Correcting misinformation and lies on another forum

ADMIN EDIT: We are not interested in getting involved in what happens on other forums.
Cheers

Ramjet

Sorry for breaking your rules but i though it was important for your members to get factual information on the QED.
So for the benefit of your members I can say that the Gb method and the Gb firmware and signal acquisition and processing are identical in QED prototype's and the production models. The latest production models have a firmware update and one circuit component has also been replaced with one with better specs.
The QED does not contain any patent protected IP from any other company.It does use patent applied for IP from Dave Emery with his knowledge and consent.

Thanks for restating your info Doug, as said by Dave, the QED will get a proper run in this thread, all honest, relevant and factual info whether good or not so good will stay. As said also we know exactly the type of stuff that has been happening elsewhere and we are not interested in bringing any of that trash talk here, we have kept a very close eye on this thread and will continue to do so. Anyone can post in this thread and as long as the info is presented in an honest and un-biased no BS type of way then it's all good. The members here probably aren't interested in what's been said elsewhere either.

Cheers
I will always give you honest, relevant and factual info on the QED. I talk to Howard regularly so i have my finger on the QED pulse so to speak. After my forum this one will be the next to find out about the latest QED info and updates when Howard clears them for publication.
cheers.

davent said:
Good on ya Doug,thanks! :Y:

I have a lot of info and pictures on my PC re the QED updates but Howard has NOT authorized me to post them on any forum yet as they may not be the final configurations and the firmware has to be de- bugged and then tested in the field which takes time.However some firmware updates and a hardware component change are now available for those that want them.They are now standard in all the QED's being made and available for sale.

OK, my QED is on its way home for an upgrade, so I hope it gets back to me in time for my trip in August!
Will be interesting to see how it goes.

I'm enjoying following this thread. It looks like somebody is working very hard to turn this into a decent detector. It's a hard road when somebody else already has the market cornered.

Moneybox said:
I'm enjoying following this thread. It looks like somebody is working very hard to turn this into a decent detector. It's a hard road when somebody else already has the market cornered.

Howard is very responsive to feedback from users which has lead to some of the firmware/hardware updates.

Moneybox said:

+1

AEGPF said:
BW is working on even more firmware for when the new control box becomes available and new battery packs that will hold 6 Li ion batteries and give up to 30 hours detecting.
Any news on the battery packs? My one area of constructive criticism thus far (in a very short time of use) is the lack of a proprietary li ion battery pack that can be securely fastened onto the detector in a protective case or similar. I'll nut something out for the li ions I'm currently using but it's given the QED an "awkward" feel. The leads coming out of the faceplate is also an accident waiting to happen IMO but the new control box configuration should fix that up I think?
As said was only a quick play but pretty comfortable with the settings, layout etc. Now to get some hours up on known ground to gauge how it goes.
Mine came with the 15 x modes + SMR adjustment so I'm assuming that the new hardware component for bias drift has been fitted too? - can't wait to hit the goldfields with it actually. Not expecting GPZ like performance but after reading some feedback I am expecting it to do ok around here. Shite it's light :Y:
P.s. the Avantree Bluetooth low latency units that I used on the SDC2300 seem to work well. Again will know more once I get out for a few hours or a day. Will keep updating my progress/opinion as I go.

mbasko said:
AEGPF said:
BW is working on even more firmware for when the new control box becomes available and new battery packs that will hold 6 Li ion batteries and give up to 30 hours detecting.

Mine came with the 15 x modes + SMR adjustment so I'm assuming that the new hardware component for bias drift has been fitted too? - can't wait to hit the goldfields with it actually.

Correct! A critical circuit capacitor that caused some bias drift with temp variations has been replaced with one that only has a temp drift of 30ppm the lowest you can get. Took some time to find it as other parameters had to be taken into account as well.The mode range increase to 15 may help the Gb over some very difficult ( conductive and /or magnetically viscous ferrite ground). The SMR may help mitigate the low beat frequency EMF but will NOT help with 3 phase power line noise,Sferics or large ferromagnetic iron objects moving through the geomagnetic field near where you are detecting.

Got my QED back today, incredibly fast turnaround, 7 days Darwin to Vic and back, thanks bugs.

Ridge Runner said:
davent said:
Lol, long service leave starts 1 August.

Sharpen that pick and load up the truck, theres nuggets in them thar hills.

Looks like he's good to go! :lol: :Y:
1500508216_truckin1.jpg

Yep, Dave's got the bonnet up again, Proberly wiring some snag rolls and a Pie to the manifold so there'll be warm when he gets down the track a bit, he's always one step ahead of the game, :Y: ;)

Got out for about 3hrs today on a nearby spot I've taken nearly all my detectors for a first up run. Pretty mild ground overall with areas of ironstone & the odd hot pocket of clay with overhead powerlines make it a reasonable test area. Close to town too :lol:
The QED took a bit of getting used to & I was thinking the worst early on. By the end of the time I was however pretty happy overall with how it went. Biggest issue of the day was getting used to not having that steady "Minelab" threshold there. It seems the QED is best run as a nearly silent threshold machine in the null point & using volume (threshold A) to heighten it a little - I did get a good audible threshold going by adjusting bias (threshold B) up/down but keeping it steady was difficult at least for me today. Seemed a bit erratic under the powerlines at times but mostly ok. Could still detect my small test piece right under them & was easy to hear it. Did play with the new SMR adjustment a bit but didn't seem to make a lot of difference here - have noticed with most other machines I've used there that the powerlines affect them worse on some days than others.
No gold today but got a few small targets at respectable depth so pretty sure I have it set ok. Didn't get gold off there with the GPZ either - must of got it all with the SDC :p
One thing that stood out was with an external booster/speaker & the headphones plugged directly into the QED the audio was very low. Suprisingly when using both the external booster/speaker & the headphones through the Avantree Bluetooth low latency units the audio was increased significantly with both. Not sure why but glad they worked well on it. Had tx direct into the QED then speaker or headphones coming out of rx on me.
Looking forward to some more time on it :Y:

Latest posts