QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AEGPF said:
Howard wants to ensure that youdon'thave to buy the next model to get any upgrades.Future optional upgrades may also include an auto Gb button. When these upgrades are finalized i will post them on my forum together with any pictures.
Will the software upgrades be downloadable - pretty sure I read somewhere you can't but is that a possible upgrade as well? Are the software upgrades free? Realise other improvements would be pay for what you want but just recycling your current control box/electronics? That's pretty much buying the next model the green way isn't it? :lol:
With the auto ground balance button will that incorporate a type of auto tracking too?
Being a member here you could post them on here also? The QED thread isn't visible to those of us who aren't members of your site & don't want to join up. Not fishing for members are you? ]:D
I recently missed out on a pre owned QED but I'm glad now. Be better to wait for the new version with the upgrades. The control box set up looks a lot better. What time frame until we see version 2 for sale? Any idea on price for the new one or cost to get the current model upgraded?
Get Howard to send the upgraded one up to Davent for testing/comparison to his. Be good to see if the upgrades fix his issues! :Y:

I have just posted this info on my forum.
SMR on the QED:limitations
cheers,
AEGPF
PS the fish are not carp! I caught then flyfishing at Moorabool Res, Vic

AEGPF, please read the forum rules, especially this one.

Posts which appear to have been made with the sole intention of advertising or self promotion will be removed without notice.

I'll leave your posts, though anything relevant that is QED related please post here on this forum and do not direct members of PA to your site.

Cheers

AEGPF said:
SMR on the QED:limitations
cheers,
AEGPF
PS the fish are not carp! I caught then flyfishing at Moorabool Res, Vic
Could you post it here too please?
Not sure what SMR is but those who have a QED or are thinking of getting one may be interested?
You know this is probably the only site where the QED has been getting a fair go really. The mods here do a great job in keeping the nastiness out & I'm sure most here are well aware of the QED's notorious forum discussions in the past (& present). I don't see that happening here & if anything this site could generate some more interest amongst members here looking at cheaper entry level or other options. PA would probably see the highest number of newbies of any other forum & the highest number of "which detector" threads I reckon - an opportunity exists to promote the QED thru good info if done correctly & within forum guidelines. At the moment most of us are curious, trying to understand the QED & relying on feedback from trusted members like Davent so more input can only be good. There will be negative comments (like any detector or other gear) - take them on the chin & like I said the mods here do a great job!
Not sure why you told me about the fish but ok - nice trout! :Y:

Edit: p.s. did you ask Howard about getting version 2 into Davents hands to make sure the upgrades fix his issues?

mbasko said:
AEGPF said:
SMR on the QED:limitations...
cheers,
AEGPF

Not sure what SMR is but those who have a QED or are thinking of getting one may be interested?

Social Media Release I think (an online Press Release in other words).

grubstake said:
mbasko said:
AEGPF said:
SMR on the QED:limitations...
cheers,
AEGPF

Social Media Release I think (an online Press Release in other words).

SMF= synchronous mains rejection. ie to remove 2 phase 50Hz mains EMI.

South Maitland Railways? A button I have found. :D

1495358729_20170521_170748.jpg

SMR is described in the QED OZ patent:2010101019
Improved user interface and interference rejection in a pulse induction metal detector.

1498775694_qed_new_box1b.jpg
mbasko said:
AEGPF said:
Howard wants to ensure that youdon'thave to buy the next model to get any upgrades.Future optional upgrades may also include an auto Gb button. When these upgrades are finalized i will post them on my forum together with any pictures.
Will the software upgrades be downloadable - pretty sure I read somewhere you can't but is that a possible upgrade as well? Are the software upgrades free? Realise other improvements would be pay for what you want but just recycling your current control box/electronics? That's pretty much buying the next model the green way isn't it? :lol:
With the auto ground balance button will that incorporate a type of auto tracking too?
Being a member here you could post them on here also? The QED thread isn't visible to those of us who aren't members of your site & don't want to join up. Not fishing for members are you? ]:D
I recently missed out on a pre owned QED but I'm glad now. Be better to wait for the new version with the upgrades. The control box set up looks a lot better. What time frame until we see version 2 for sale? Any idea on price for the new one or cost to get the current model upgraded?
Get Howard to send the upgraded one up to Davent for testing/comparison to his. Be good to see if the upgrades fix his issues! :Y:

One of the software upgrades (expanding the range of the mode and allowing fine adjustment of the SMR) has been completed but needs to be field tested. The same applies to the change of one circuit component which has been bench tested but not yet in the field. The GB button at this stage will not include auto tracking. The next software task is to write the firmware for the 4th button on the new control box (pictured above) The software can ONLY be uploaded by BW.

AEGPF said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/10380/1498775694_qed_new_box1b.jpg
mbasko said:
AEGPF said:

One of the software upgrades (expanding the range of the mode and allowing fine adjustment of the SMR) has been completed but needs to be field tested. The same applies to the change of one circuit component which has been bench tested but not yet in the field. The GB button at this stage will not include auto tracking. The next software task is to write the firmware for the 4th button on the new control box (pictured above) The software can ONLY be uploaded by BW.

The new control box is a joint project between BW and another QED owner and member of my forum. It will be back lit with LED's so that you will be able to detect at night or poor light and easily make changes via the menu. The control box will be water resistant and will have have 2 audio sockets the 3.5 mm and the standard one. Another option being considered for the upgrade is a USB port so that you will be able to charge a mobile phone etc.

davent said:
Any guesstimates on how much the upgrade will cost?
The software updates I believe will be free apart from postage costs. I have no idea at this stage what the costs may be of the new control box and the change of one circuit component which would be done at the same time. (the new circuit component is going to tested in the field over the next week or so because it has only been tested on a QED board on the bench so far and BW only received them 2 days ago)

New software and hardware updates are now available for the QED. The mode range has been expanded to 15 and the SMR is now user adjustable for when the mains frequency differs from 50.0Hz.(it does NOT work with 3 phase power)A new hardware component with state of the art specs seems to have eliminated any temperature drift in the bias.These upgrade are free apart from postage costs.
BW is working on even more firmware for when the new control box becomes available and new battery packs that will hold 6 Li ion batteries and give up to 30 hours detecting.

Correcting misinformation and lies on another forum

ADMIN EDIT: We are not interested in getting involved in what happens on other forums.
Cheers

Ramjet

AEGPF said:
Correcting misinformation and lies on another forum

ADMIN EDIT: We are not interested in getting involved in what happens on other forums.
Cheers

Ramjet

Sorry for breaking your rules but i though it was important for your members to get factual information on the QED.
So for the benefit of your members I can say that the Gb method and the Gb firmware and signal acquisition and processing are identical in QED prototype's and the production models. The latest production models have a firmware update and one circuit component has also been replaced with one with better specs.
The QED does not contain any patent protected IP from any other company.It does use patent applied for IP from Dave Emery with his knowledge and consent.

Doug, I think we can safely say that this thread,so far, has had no knockers, or hear say comments or bitchyness that other forums have suffered from.
I started this in anticipation and quite a bit of excitement of trying an Australian built detector, that is affordable, and has some real advantages over some more well known brands.
As I use my QED more, and as the upgrades are done, I'll continue to keep a record of how I find it in my conditions. I have 2/ months off work, Aug and Sept, and will defiantly give it a really good run.
I will not dress up or dress down any of what I consider good or bad points with it. I'm confident that its a good machine.
I'm keeping all of my comments evidence based, and honest.

Latest posts