Prospecting, Fossicking and Detecting Books/Magazines

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Members may like to access the new Fossicking Australia for Gold & Gems online interactive Magazine.

Google "FossickingAustralia - Gold & Gems" or by searching "fossicking" on the Flipboard App

1418853083_flipboard-image-frontpage-1.png

Hi all. Which books and magazines give the best overall info, for the very beginner, covering the basics from the beginning. Many thanks

Hi and welcome. :) :)
In front of you is a very powerful weapon called,, "Google"
Not meaning to be a smart ar$e but what area of prospecting are you keen on. ?
Gold, Gems, Fossils, Relics,

On this topic, does anybody know where one can take a look at Gold & Ghosts Volume 3? I'm very lucky that Volume 4 still exists in my local library and hasn't been stolen yet, havn't had much luck finding an existing copy of volume 3.

I also will add "Youtube" is a good haunt for information as well.
The information you find even might be in a different country but the technique is the same.
With detecting, we in Austraya have very heavily iron content ground conditions that play havoc with a detector.
It is all a big oyster that can be cracked with out spending a fortune to get out and enjoy the past time and history. Let alone the friends you will make.

luck2015 said:
Hi all. Which books and magazines give the best overall info, for the very beginner, covering the basics from the beginning. Many thanks

I am new to using detectors, and am in the process of migrating from panning for the fine stuff to using detectors. I like having a hard copy and am a bit of a book worm, but am also very computer literate. So in order my process has been -
  • Lashed out on one of Doug Stones expensive books. A great read, with lots of maps. He has several.[/*]
  • Used Google to find a few forums and spent lots of time there[/*]
  • Used Google again to search for other online stuff mainly via YouTube[/*]
  • Discussed items with a detecting friend[/*]

Playing with the a couple of different detectors and coils to see the differences in the way that they work is also a good learning experience, then you have to get out and see what you can find.

Rob

Adam Lastnme said:
On this topic, does anybody know where one can take a look at Gold & Ghosts Volume 3? I'm very lucky that Volume 4 still exists in my local library and hasn't been stolen yet, havn't had much luck finding an existing copy of volume 3.

Hey Adam
I just noticed you are in Townsville too, that makes it much more convenient for me to give you some information, send me a PM with your Mob ph & or email & we will have a chat!!
cheers
Lee

My choice out of books would be "Fists full of Gold" by Chris Ralph, although based on US prospecting I've applied a lot of his ideas that have paid off, he covers everything from sluicing, detecting, dry blowing, and where to/ how to find gold.
Outside of that mate your on the right forum for top info from seasoned veterans like Loamer, Wal, Redfin, (no reference to age)just to name a few, chuck in Goldigga@, Puddler Bill, ect, ect, and don't forget the geology fellows with Metamorphic, and the list goes on.
It's like a book that answers your questions while your reading :lol:

dwt disclaimer: I probarbly forgot a few members with this post, it was no way intentional :| my bad
:lol:

Thanks all for advice, has given me somewhere to start and will look at google and u tube as well. Just did not want to buy books that were unusable. Cheers Good Digging

Adam Lastnme said:

Got original Gold & Ghosts Volume 3 soft cover that I'm looking at selling in next month or so.

I love to buy it mate but those books be well out of my price range haha Was more hoping to find a library somewhere that still has it. Cheers though

Hi All,

Thanx for add and here's my first post.

Are there any "Choice" magazine style detector comparisons?

You know what I mean Honest product comparisons in the field testing all the feature and product claims.

I don't mean the soft review you see occasionally where a magazine doesn't want to upset an advertiser.

Also, reviews of warranty support.

Cheers and thanks for a great site.
Leanne.

I get mag. Aust. Gold Gem and Treasure delivered but i can't say that it isn't biased.
We have a great metal detector section-have a read.
Have fun.
Jaros

Latest posts