Private number phone calls

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooooo annoying, there's a mob in Melbourne, and they have a bout 20 numbers that are all one off each other on the the last digit. When they call you, there are actually calling like 20 phone numbers at once, when you answer, you will get a delay, it is then diverted to a call Centre person, who actually is answering to you-sum poor bugger that an answered it.
After umpteen hundred calls I said to the guy, I know your just trying to a buck mate, but get your supervisor, I want to chat with him.
After first informing him that I was on on a do not call list, I politely ripped it up him and said to remove my name and number from his listing that some organization like my bank etc has sold them my details. And I never got another call from them.
So next time you are dealing with your bank, insurance companies etc. Tell them you dont want any promotional stuff to be sent to you, and that your details are to remain private.
They SELL YOUR DETAILS TO CALL COMPANIES! no crap! They do. Communication companies are the worst for it. Get a new number and the call centres are on to you within a week
And never do a survey/competition on your pc. This is for your details to be collected and SOLD!

Have had 2 more calls from 8818 numbers again but they have changed the last 2 digits on the numbers.
Have added them to the reject list too now.
88183776025 and 8818376030.
None from private numbers since I set up my reject listings.

i had a call about an hour ago when i answered it was quiet for a few seconds then a recorded voice came up and said "goodbye" and that was it
i get at least one a day but my home phone dosent record incoming numbers only out going

7.62marksman said:
i had a call about an hour ago when i answered it was quiet for a few seconds then a recorded voice came up and said "goodbye" and that was it
i get at least one a day but my home phone dosent record incoming numbers only out going

I've had a truck load of those, one day I'll throw the phone out the window :mad:.

I get heaps of calls on my mobile from private / No Caller ID numbers.

The problem is, I also get regular (10-plus per day) work calls from a govt call centre - I HAVE to answer them or else I don't get any work.

It can be frustrating when I'm flat out and a Private/No Caller ID call comes in and it turns out to be a scammer or telemarketer.

Actually, I received a call last year from a private/No caller ID number. Usually, once I realise that it's a scammer/ telemarketer, I woild just hang up...but this time, I gave the caller a bit of a lecture about wasting people's time and told him not to call back, and I hung up. Of course, he called back within about 20 seconds, and as soon as I answered the phone, he was laughing - FULL ON laughing! I hanged up. He called about 4 or 5 times in a row, and I kept hanging up as soon as I knew that it wasn't a work call. On maybe the 5th call, I picked up and cheerily said, "Hello," as if I didn't know that was going to be him, which got him laughing again. I interrupted him and told him that I was willing to listen to him now, which made him shut up for about 2 seconds, which was enough time for me to gently but sternly tell him that I have a special phone that the Australian Government supplied me for my job which brings up his real calling number (which is bulldust) and that I have lodged the information with the Federal Police and also Interpol.

No more calls from him.

Since then, when scammers or telemarketers call, I quickly interrupt and just mention Federal Police and Interpol, and they usually hang up quick smart 8)

Be careful about abusing unwanted callers.
I've heard of people who abused or blew whistles at unwanted call centers.
They were then targeted with hundreds of calls all through the night.

What I used to do on a land line was -
1. Take the call
2. Tell them to hold the line for just a second
3. Leave the phone off the hook (keeping them waiting)
4. Hang up after 30 minutes or when you hear a dial tone.

I received a call one day from a young woman claiming to be from my bank.
She asked me for my bank details to confirm she had the right customer.
I told her not so politely to ***k off and hung up.
I thought I should notify my bank of this scam artist and rang the bank's main office.
The chap I spoke to checked their records and confirmed it had been someone from the bank who'd called me.
I told him not so politely that his bank is using the same method scammers use to rip us off.
He apologized and said he would pass on my complaint to his supervisor. IDIOTS! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I know some of you are in business and you need to have your phonrs on otherwise you miss work but blimey if people are ringing you all hours of the night.........turn the phone off.
Thats what I do. I go to sleep....off goes the phone. My wife, who needs to have hers on in case something happens to her mum, leaves hers on and it dings and sputters all night.....annoying.

If you dont have to....turn the thing off. None of us have to be that accessible......and I know. I used to be a Real Estate Manager and Salesman.

Dont forget that fone companies love these guys, as it makes revenue for them. Even having msg bank creates revenue.
I did have a voice msg saying once saying "sorry im I cant take your call right now, or I am not answering your call because you have called me on a silent private number, so leave a msg or I wont answer your call" !!!
Keep in mind that some impotant calls you may need to ansewer from gov dept dont display their number. But with that msg, if it is important enough, they will leave a msg then.
Some financial companies only have to state they tried contacting you on three occasions before taking dramatic action. They are not bound to leave msg! Just tried... loop hole for them.

Whenever I get a scam caller or just a call from one of those overseas call centres I play a game with them. I ask them all sorts of stupid questions like do they have good teeth, what sort of undies do they wear, do they like their boss, how often do they shower anything but answer their questions. They soon get the message and I end up with a beep beep beep not even a good-bye or have a nice day!

Tassie Daz said:
I know some of you are in business and you need to have your phonrs on otherwise you miss work but blimey if people are ringing you all hours of the night.........turn the phone off.
Thats what I do. I go to sleep....off goes the phone. My wife, who needs to have hers on in case something happens to her mum, leaves hers on and it dings and sputters all night.....annoying.

If you dont have to....turn the thing off. None of us have to be that accessible......and I know. I used to be a Real Estate Manager and Salesman.

I would otherwise agree, but at least in my case, unfortunately, the company I work for has a running contract with the State Governement for a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week emegency service. Someone has to answer the phone at all times, no excuses (especially, "I wanted to sleep") :N:

Me (or whoever is taking my place if necessary) not answering a call, even in the middle of then night, would be a bit like someone calling the SES/police/ambulance/fire brigade but no-one responding because they wanted a bit of a kip.

Anolphart said:
Whenever I get a scam caller or just a call from one of those overseas call centres I play a game with them. I ask them all sorts of stupid questions like do they have good teeth, what sort of undies do they wear, do they like their boss, how often do they shower anything but answer their questions. They soon get the message and I end up with a beep beep beep not even a good-bye or have a nice day!

I used to muck around with them too, when I had more time. When they'd ask if I was the owner of the business, I'd tell them that the owner was overseas. When they'd ask when he would be back (they always assumed it was a he), I tell them I didn't know, because I wasn't sure if the owner was overseas on business or leisure / pleasure (for example, a sex tour). I'd then go in to detail about my suspicions and what he owner might be getting up to, or I'd go in to detail about how much of the supposed trip might be work and how much was leisure (eg maybe 70 % work, 30% leisure, or 57.5% work, 42.5 % leisure...and spend many minutes changing the figures around) before they'd try to tell me that they really only want to know when they should call back...but I'd just keep blabbering on, and they always end up hanging up.

I guessed/hoped that my number would go on their internal "do not bother calling - "NUTCASE" list.

Same boat here,
24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
All private numbers must be answered.
Some Telemarketers have learn't the hard way not to call.
I must admit, When you politely tell them not to ring a silent
unpublished number and Thank them for their understanding making them laugh,
Your number does get removed off the list's.
I actually had one call me back after 6 months to ensure that I was not being rang
by their call desk's.
I damned well respected that one.

Nuggetbuster said:
Tassie Daz said:

I would otherwise agree, but at least in my case, unfortunately, the company I work for has a running contract with the State Governement for a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week emegency service. Someone has to answer the phone at all times, no excuses (especially, "I wanted to sleep") :N:

Me (or whoever is taking my place if necessary) not answering a call, even in the middle of then night, would be a bit like someone calling the SES/police/ambulance/fire brigade but no-one responding because they wanted a bit of a kip.

I answer any and all calls. If its private number I pick up the call and and cough. I dont speak. I wait for them to speak. Usually its "Is this mr. Blah?" I reply who is this?
If its somebody I never heard of I just say 'I dont respond to unsolicited communications. Feel free to post me a letter outlining your query'. They then say 'but we don't have your address '. I reply 'and thats the way I intend to keep it, delete this number from your list and do not contact this number again. Have a nice day'.
Then I hang up.

these phantom callers give them to me, like you say every day sometimes its an aussie caller computer generated they done answer then when you ring back you find out its someone saying they are ringing on behalf of a charity pretty good system you call them so what have I done put the number in my contacts under "arsehole" so when they call just let it ring out if you call back it verifies someone answered the call so it goes on and on the telcos should be held responsible for this crap

Usually when I get one of these calls it is apparent straight away that it is not a mate or the misses as they take a while to answer when you say hello, so I flick the phone to speaker and put it down on the table and continue what I am doing, when they hang up I'll reset the phone.

Latest posts