Possums and Passionfruit

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14190

Too old to care anyway.
Reaction score
My wife has an area set aside for vegie garden, fruit trees and chooks, it is an area about 900 square meters. Has numerous fences to divide sections off for the chooks to get green grass. A few months ago we lost 2 chooks to a chicken hawk and we were feeding a multitude of parrots, so we decided to cover the chook yard sections with wire netting, so that was done and then she remembered that the previous year she had had a problem with wood ducks coming into the vegie garden section and walking all over her bulb type plants, onions and leeks, and when they walked on them they broke the stalk and the plant died, they also liked lettuce and fresh pea plants, so we covered that section except for a corner where there was a large passion fruit vine growing as it was growing over the fence into the orchard section. The passion fruit vine was absolutely loaded with fruit and in length is about 8 meters long and about 1.5 meters wide, it has a frame to support it, but also took over the fence. We have never lost any fruit of any type to birds, the occasional rat got a few, but poison was placed so that it was easier than climbing a tree. The perimeter fence is 6 feet high, has wire netting from top metal support and nailed to timber set into ground, the whole lot is covered in shade cloth to keep the wind out. There is an electric fence runs around the bottom 300mm for rats, another wire at about 800mm for possums and a further one along the top rail for anything that makes it up that far.

Just as the passion fruit started to ripen we started to notice a few nibbled on, so more rat bait was placed out in storm water pipes so the birds do not have easy access to them during the day, the baits are screwed onto a section of timber so they cannot be moved by the rats. So after a few more nights of a lot lot more fruit being eaten and the baits going I put a possum trap in the garden and got a brush tail possum, it was duly released unharmed after a severe talking to. Then the search was on as to how they were avoiding the electric fence. After adding more wires in various places, I think we have found that they are using one of the handles on the electric fence at a gate that is 4 feet high colour bond steel, was made from steel as a gate to keep snakes out of the garden, the gate is a very close fit to the posts and has worked, but the possums seem to be climbing onto the handle and then jumping up to the top of the gate and over they go. Have placed a couple of wires alongside and between posts, but last night only one fruit was eaten, so we might have it now, will know over the next few nights. First time in about 15 years that we have had a problem with the possums.

Many years ago I thought that we had an agreement with the possums that I would leave the trees alone if they stayed out of the garden, now we have too many trees, it is amazing what grows in 25 years.

After about 1 month of doing battle with the possum and rats and birds I have finally convinced my wife to give up the vegetable garden as it is way too big and I am not a gardener, I help where possible, but do not like being in the sun for hours at a time. she is a bit :brokenh: but now sees just what a mammoth task it all is for very little return.

1550454397_ae5a7543-e93e-4bab-87d8-2d3e4c5cda09.jpg

The vegetable garden is the green section in the middle, there are a number of citrus trees in the bottom section and plum and nectarine in a smaller fenced section along the top of the garden and down along the side fence. All is divided into areas that can be closed off and the chooks can be given access to all but the vegie garden, try to be able to give them green pick whenever possible.

The problem came to a head when we caught the possum twice and let it go as required by the rules. We worked out that it was climbing up a post that I had put 900 mm long section of aluminium sheet around the post, it was still able to get up the post, so more electric fence was added to the top of the post, but did not stop it. We installed cctv and watched how it was getting in. I finally put up sheet steel with the electric fence at the top of the post and for 1 night nothing happened. Following night back again, but this time it had climbed over two of the electric fence wires with an earth wire in between and they were about 150mm higher than the top of the fence, plus while watching the cctv we saw numerous rats eating what the possum left.

So it was decided that the garden goes as we have to be able to pump water when needed and the amount being produced, it was either a feast or a famine, we gave away bags of mandarins, but got about 15 plums and the tomatoes were mostly small even though I pumped a lot of water, there are too many gum and other trees surrounding the area that keep encroaching into the area that also like the water and soil. So the garden will be mowed until the chooks have all gone their way and then is will be mostly pulled apart, we like the privacy that the garden area gives us, so the perimeter fences will probably stay. This also gives us time for more detecting, hopefully going to one of the local beaches tomorrow to see how we go. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Home grown is always best...

HATE possums in the city, Brushtails in particular. Few people have trees that can sustain them, so they buggers hunt in packs and destroy any attempt at veggies and flowers around here.

Need a big DOG that will stay in the yard and never need looking after :) Love my dogs but life style does not fit with them at this stage of my life.

We persist at growing a few bits and pieces but in a suburban yard, tis hard unless you make it totally possum proof.

I grow a few chilies in pots, and peaches, apples and quinces. We have an apricot tree, which produces very good apricots, but it is an early variety and very susceptible to frost. We got a few this year as there was no late frost, but usually we only get one or two, and the possums get them before us. Also grow herbs like parsley, thyme, sage garlic chives and rosemary.

Between the birds and coddling moths it is hard to justify the apples and quinces, particularly as I don't eat much fruit these days. I don't begrudge the birds a feed, though. Parrots of all varieties as well as wattyl birds seem to like them.

We did have a good crop of peaches this year, and gave a quite a few to the neighbours.

Possums destroy all our chillies/caps/peppers etc

They strip the plant of every leaf.

Parsley and lots if other green herbs get smashed.

Egg plant and pineapple and Alovera are about the only things here they do not eat.

I have 2 lemon trees and they both have a circle of bird cage wire around them and a square of old metal bird cage sitting on top and they can't get to them------yet. :(

Get a couple of possum traps from bunnings (cheeper on ebay) and keep them set at all times....Get some rat sack while you are there that will fix the rats and the mice. Problem solved within a week. :beer:

We had the area locked up tight, 95% of the Rosellas gave up trying to get in, but the possum found that it could lift some passion fruit up through the netting and still got a feed, then it found that it could get in through the vine which was very thick and some wire was loose and in about 1 month the rats and possum ate over 1.5 kg of the Big Cheese poison, blue and the red one, found some dead rats, but possum seemed to gain strength from its feeds. We are also having trouble with fruit fly and mould this year on the nectarines, got about 20 fruit out of two trees full.

So all trees and plants will be removed as it easier to buy a box of fruit when it is in season as she likes to dry all kinds of fruit, at present we have numerous bottles of Mango, Strawberry and Peach fruit leathers, will last for a number of years and good to eat and we are unable to grow sufficient for her to be able to do that.

Latest posts