Please help me restore this vesta

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deb

Reaction score
Hi guys. Please help me restore this vesta I dug up. Not sure onbmetal yet. Thinking plated on brass maybe? Has tarnished copper colour.? Inside dull like brass but some outside bits very shiny. Original matches still in it so really don't want to soak it. Any help would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240219-121841_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219-121841_Gallery.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240219-121900_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219-121900_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240219-121749_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219-121749_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240222_103617.jpg
    20240222_103617.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
It could be imitation gold leaf gilded, so the gilt would have tarnished and any abrasive cleaning action will more than likely remove whatever is left. Use a very soft brush or cloth with a solution of mild detergent and ammonia to gently clean it to remove any dirt and oxidation. When dry thoroughly go over it with a soft metho soaked q tip...... about all you can do safely.
A very nice find. They certainly treasured their priceless little matches in those days...🔥

It could be imitation gold leaf gilded, so the gilt would have tarnished and any abrasive cleaning action will more than likely remove whatever is left. Use a very soft brush or cloth with a solution of mild detergent and ammonia to gently clean it to remove any dirt and oxidation. When dry thoroughly go over it with a soft method soaked q tip...... about all you can do safely.
A very nice find. They certainly treasured their priceless little matches in those days...🔥
Thankyou. I just want to get it a little clean so that I can see the prettiness of it. Even one side so I can put In a display box. I have just emailed an antique restoration company as well to see of they have any thoughts or can point me in the right direction. But all help is much appreciated. X

Latest posts