plastic matting i found??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyDigga

Rohin
Reaction score
I found this plastic ground matting for driving on boggy ground and thought it may be a good substitute for expanded metal on my home made sluice. The ripples changed direction on each parralell row, so i cut the matting into strips as to have all ripples facing the same way. I have miners moss type matting under and also v matting at the top. I now plan to install brackets that will clip in to hold it all down. The base of the sluice is marine ply, the width for water flow is 27cm and length i am unsure now. Any thoughts and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
1438556475_20150803_085134.jpg

I'd be concerned of a double vortex throwing out the gold with that riffle pattern but give it a run, I'd love to see the results. If you can grab a photo of it in action it would be useful.

The little backwards riffle could create a strange turbulance as well which is good, but only if it doesn't disturb the vortex's.

Sorry I'll add a bit more as well. I just noticed its all wood and that's a great easy start to decide on. I wish I started with a wood box.

What's marine ply?

I keep my sluices around 8" width ( inner ) as they are easier to control.

If it doesn't work out doing the river sluice, change it into a ground sluice which is similar but you don't have it in the middle of the creek, more off to the side and you dig a channel that directs water over it ( look up the old timer photos )

Just to save me editing:

Play with all the wooden sluice box designs mate, I want to make one with perforated board and wooden riffles down it with a hessian bag at the end for fines

plywood made of selected wood species based on density, impact resistance and bending strength. It has solid surface face veneers, free from open imperfections. Ideal for boat building and construction work that faces high levels of moisture.

it is reasonably light too.

i will upload a few more shots of the matting when i finish work as i have about 2000x600 to play with. there may be better options for the way i cut and place it.

cheers

I use poly pipe to hold down the mesh and mat, 1-1/2 ins poly pipe split long ways to have enough curve to attach to the side of the sluice and push down on the mesh. About a third round, it is flexable enough to allow mesh to slide in and out for cleaning. My sluice is ally so I pop riveted it to the side, I trimmed the bottom corner at 45 deg so mesh doesn't catch when you slide it and mat in and out.

just got some brackets and a length of concave Al for a few riffles to hold the matting and moss matting down. I think i may be faceing another issue having concave rather than straight riffles as it may cause material to launch over without sucking back any gold, though may help steady or even out the water flow.
1438686321_20150804_203928.jpg

it is used for driving on boggy ground. I found it ? on the side of the road after splendor in the grass music festival, they lay it down for the cars to drive on the once swampland.

If i decide not to use it for my sluice i will most likely save it for if i get bogged. either way its pretty cool stuff.

The only way to know is to test it down the creek mate. I could suggest simulating the riffle directions using a program on the pc like OECAKE which I used sometimes as a basic reference on how fluids moves around objects and deposited heavies using a vortex, if your into that sort of thing.

Im not too sure on your riffle design either, another interesting one. I still say give it a go and id love to see vid or photo to show the flow of the water and where it deposits along its length.

Lol, yeh the whole design is a bit different, its costed me about $30 so far so may end up spending more to get it functioning like it normally should. If it works... Stoked! I am planning a trip in a couple of weeks to a spot i know has heaps of fine gold. i plan to check the tailings as i go. will definately post the results.

Will chech that site aswell AtomRat, sounds like fun 8)

Ok here is the setup for my first run, i changed the ripples so now i can change their angle too, it is easy to pop them out as the bolts are free and slide straight out. i may cut a small strip of black matting to place inside the metal U shape trap at the base of the ripple to help stop the gold from being thrown straight out. if i find the plastic mesh doesnt work i can easily replace with real expanded metal. For now though my options are endless for mods and experiments.
1438933104_20150807_171747.jpg

Mate, I would advise you to seal that sluice since it is made of wood. When wood get soaked with water for extended periods of time, it gets wet and heavy, also after using it and leaving it to dry it contracts and expands many times, so a water sealing is preferred .
Good design, that's the way to do it, inspection area at the top (v mat) then followed by Miners Moss and over top of it , your (strange) looking plastic mesh. Well , test it and see if it works, if not change one item at a time, so you know what caused what in terms of "Sluice elements" ;)
As Wal has showed you can use bread crate material as a mesh or if have some better use expanded metal.

Cheers Geo2, i am going to paint it green to match my super sluicr pan, and i have silicon ready for the final seal. the sides are pine so will most likely warp and swell otherwise.... As for the plastic matting. ... its like having 2 layers of expanded metal veaving inside and out of one another so who knows untill the test....n fingers crossed

Latest posts