Pinched sluice.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used a pinched sluice?

I have been looking at some of these designs for a while now and wonder if anyone has used one and if so what kind of success did you have.

I am looking at using some of these principles in a non pump hybrid banker im working on.

sorry about the quality of the pictures, they are the the best examples i could find on Google

p339.gif

sluices-1.jpg

Cheers, Tone

Hey tone

Theres a guy in the states that makes these with a bread crate pattern. It runs into a pinch then fans back out again. Great concept if you ask me.

very interesting tone, its the reverse of my system ey...nice post mate :cool:

That utube is same shape as mine but I have put ripple tray with mat under one half and ribbed rubber mat on most of other half to catch bigger stuff before ripples. It's 5ft alloy.

Twapster said:
I read the post and I thought someone had nicked your gear!

I also thought someone had knocked off your gear.

Hydraulic mining was originally done by reducing pipe size and thus increasing the pressure, as water travelled down hill. Are you planning something similar to run a highbanker without a pump?

Cheers

Gerard

Interesting concept.....would like to see the flow patterns, and the physics demonstrated, otherwise my first thought was where is the advantage? Adding velocity then slowing it down seems like alot of added length for something that can be achieved through other means which are simpler to manipulate. I much prefer a varying depth than width, but behold if you can think it you can build it. I'll save my critique when i see results.

According to a few sites with info on these. The concept is for particles about 1mm and less to be fed in the wide end. The water deepens and creates a "duel layer" the lower water is slower than the top layer. As the water slows, the heavy particles drop first and the lightwr material fliats out the the top layer.
The outflow is split with the heavies going out closer to the sluice. Some kind of angled plat takes the lighter material to waste while the heavies get directed to a catch container.
Apparently used in mineral sands extraction.
The longitudinal diagram shows how it works..

Cheers Tone

Latest posts