Physical ailments

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OzzieAu

I’m a bloke
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There seems to be many mature aged folk (older farts) on here like myself...Im pushing 70.
So I thought I would start a discussion on what physical ailments you have that limit your time detecting and take away from the enjoyment of it and what you do about it.
For example, I have 2 issues at the moment, one is a heel spur on my left foot that kills me walking over rocky ground, and if that isnt enough, gripping and swinging the 5000 for too long gives me pain in the back of my hand, which hangs around for days after.
Its a bitch when you have an opportunity to go hunting, but your body lets you down.
I have to manage my issues with R&R and reading PA on the couch 8.(

Anyone else in my boat?

OzzieAu said:
There seems to be many mature aged folk (older farts) on here like myself...Im pushing 70.
So I thought I would start a discussion on what physical ailments you have that limit your time detecting and take away from the enjoyment of it and what you do about it.
For example, I have 2 issues at the moment, one is a heel spur on my left foot that kills me walking over rocky ground, and if that isnt enough, gripping and swinging the 5000 for too long gives me pain in the back of my hand, which hangs around for days after.
Its a bitch when you have an opportunity to go hunting, but your body lets you down.

Anyone else in my boat?

Cant help with the heel spur bit but your hand problem might be overcome or atleast minimized with a good look at your harness and bungy setup.

What harness are you using?
With the minelab pro harness and with a decent heavy duty bungy cord, even with the 7000 I basically only have to guide it with my fingers, not so much grip it.

Hope you can sort it out.

I need a prothsetic knee job..(old motor bike crash) i walk with a limp most days..i cant take any decent pain medication because i have afib with a flutter and am on meds to control that....i do weight lifting 3 days a week..and have multiple injuries from 22yrs of kick boxing...so my body is sore 7 days a week..but it's going to take a lot more to stop me swinging that detector...or digging 12 x20ltr buckets of dirt to run threw my sluice.....cause at the end of every painful day..... I wash that pain away with half a dozen rums :eek: :Y: ]:D ]:D

Smoky bandit said:
I need a prothsetic knee job..(old motor bike crash) i walk with a limp most days..i cant take any decent pain medication because i have afib with a flutter and am on meds to control that....i do weight lifting 3 days a week..and have multiple injuries from 22yrs of kick boxing...so my body is sore 7 days a week..but it's going to take a lot more to stop me swinging that detector...or digging 12 x20ltr buckets of dirt to run threw my sluice.....cause at the end of every painful day..... I wash that pain away with half a dozen rums :eek: :Y: ]:D ]:D
Nice one Smoky..... old school tuff as guts :Y:

madtuna said:
OzzieAu said:

Anyone else in my boat?

Cant help with the heel spur bit but your hand problem might be overcome or atleast minimized with a good look at your harness and bungy setup.

With the minelab pro harness and with a decent heavy duty bungy cord, even with the 7000 I basically only have to guide it with my fingers, not so much grip it.

Got a pro swing harness and bungy MT, but I still get this bloody hand pain after a coupla hours.
I reckon its a legacy of 40 odd years on the tools (mechanic), rsi or arthritis or something.

OzzieAu said:
Smoky bandit said:
Nice one Smoky..... old school tuff as guts :Y:
Yes mate i am very old-school......tuff as guts ...not so sure about that one.....but my old school ways are sure to put me in an early grave. 8.( :N:

OzzieAu said:
madtuna said:
OzzieAu said:

Anyone else in my boat?

Got a pro swing harness and bungy MT, but I still get this bloody hand pain after a coupla hours.
I reckon its a legacy of 40 odd years on the tools (mechanic), rsi or arthritis or something.

That's a bugger mate and I hope you can get it sorted.

Another thought is when you have your arm out in front of you in the same position that you would have it if swinging the detector, but relaxed and without actually holding the detector, have a look at the position of your hand or direction your wrist and hand naturally takes at rest.
Make sure your handle is cantered the same way so as not to place strain on the wrist and hand.
Most of us are probably different especially after breaks etc..

OzzieAu said:

Anyone else in my boat?

I'm not going to get into a blue about which detector is best, but maybe you could have a look at the Deus xp with a high frequency coil the complete setup weighs under 1 kilo :)

madtuna said:
OzzieAu said:
madtuna said:
OzzieAu said:

Anyone else in my boat?

That's a bugger mate and I hope you can get it sorted.

Another thought is when you have your arm out in front of you in the same position that you would have it if swinging the detector, but relaxed and without actually holding the detector, have a look at the position of your hand or direction your wrist and hand naturally takes at rest.
Make sure your handle is cantered the same way so as not to place strain on the wrist and hand.
Most of us are probably different especially after breaks etc..
I got the missus to take this pic.
1517973688_772d0a24-134d-4ca0-b530-661696829e08.jpg

Seems like my wrist is turned down slightly, caused by the angle of the handle.
Can you make the handle more upright to straighten the wrist ?

My wrist naturally hands down like yours in the picture anyway, to have it up would be un-natural for me.
How is it side ways? ie: cantered left or right when at rest verses your handle placement?

As for the up and down, if this is the problem the only thing I could think of is to approach someone like Prospector Pete on this forum who makes a wicked timber handle that has rave reviews.
Maybe he could build one to suit your needs?

xcavator, yes the Deus is super light. Even with using a bungy cord and harness I found that it's not so much the weight being the problem. The 7000 is so heavy that it is the momentum or inertia that gets you. Effort is required to swing the coil. To take a heavy object from rest, swing it, then stop it, and then reverse the direction of swing puts stress on wrists, elbows, shoulders, and diagonally across the back. Add that ridiculously heavy 19" coil and the problem is exacerbated.
I had a lot of success with the 7000, but being on the wrong side of 70 and having a wrist broken years ago in a motorcycle accident, the Z had to go.
I know all you young people will not understand, but one thing is guaranteed. One day you will. I now use a QED, which is a treat to swing without any need for a harness, and its performance is very close to the top of the range detectors. My success rate has not fallen since making the change, as I can swing for longer, and feel less exhausted at the end of the day. I'm sure that when you are tired, your concentration suffers, and your success declines.

Ozzie, I'm also pushing late 60s, in reasonable nick... so far.

The thing I found was to "normalise" my swing and stance, which can alter on sloping ground. I see in your picture that your elbow is also slightly bent.

What I did was set the Proswing up so it fits firmly on my body (a little tighter than normal). Also, the belt position is adjusted above my trouser belt as any lower tends to push my pants down, lol. Then before you connect the bungy, shorten the detector lower shaft, too short to reach the ground, connect the bungy to take the weight of the detector and let your arm fall into a comfortable position when swinging.

There is a tendency to stretch the arm forward when detecting, I do and you need to consciously stop and I found that having the lower shaft too long was the main cause.

Anyway gradually lower the lower shaft until it is just above the ground. I found that letting the Proswing take the weight and a small amount of push on the bungy means the harness is taking the weight, not my arm.

To answer your Q, the angle of the 4500/5000 handle is not adjustable. However, there is a wooden aftermarket handle available, it might be more ergonomically suitable for you :)

Thanks condor and MT for the advice and I will look into those wooden handles. I have seen them on here before and a custom made one might be the way to go.
Cheers

Latest posts