Petrol Water Pumps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just stumbled onto Rato water pumps, they are sold out of WA- Has anyone heard of them?
Spoke to their CEO- Ben Parry & he seems very helpful & has offered me a VERY good deal.
I'm wondering if anyone has any info/experience with them??
http://www.ratoaustralia.com.au

BumbleB said:
I have just stumbled onto Rato water pumps, they are sold out of WA- Has anyone heard of them?
Spoke to their CEO- Ben Parry & he seems very helpful & has offered me a VERY good deal.
I'm wondering if anyone has any info/experience with them??
http://www.ratoaustralia.com.au

i looked at their website specs

their heavy duty 40 mm 3 horsepower pumps to 20 metres of head , 19 kg

for comparison the Honda WX15 , 40 mm , pumps to 60 metres and weighs 9 kg and probably much better fuel economy plus longer life

Headsup yeah I would prefer a 'name' brand like Honda, but at $800+ its just too much for my pocket.
He gave me a deal on an 80mm Trash Pump- 7HP 1100L/min, delivered from WA to Sunny Coast for $340. Its obviously WAY bigger than I need for highbanking, but for the price I just couldn't pass it up- I will be able to use this pump for anything. I initially wanted just one of the standard pumps but they were out of stock so he stepped me up to the Trush Pump for basically the same price.
Being a trash pump, I don't need to worry about rubbish out of the creeks blocking or stuffing the impeller- it will just chew thru everything (I hope).
I haven't received it yet so I can't honestly say to much about the unit itself, but Rato are a huge Chinese Company & talking to him over the past 1-2 weeks, he is really motivated & enthusiastic about establishing themselves in the Aussie market. I don't think these units are your typical Chinese junk- probably copied off Honda or similar reputable brands- they have a full exchange policy if anything goes wrong.
I'm not trying to sell these for him, but on face-value the deal is pretty bloody good & they have to be atleast as good as the other lesser units on ebay etc, but more than likely they are much better. He was talking about the better quality components they use- It all sounded impressive to me.
Anyway I will certainly let everyone know how the unit performs once it arrives- hopefully in a week or so. :p

Things to consider for your pump are distance to carry (weight), volume required for the box you are running . as you dont want to be running a Chinese pump 6 hours flat out & reliability of the engine. I have the Honda - weighs 9 kg, yes expensive, but when I drive for 4 hours to the creek , I dont want to have to pray that my pump will firstly start & stay running for 6 hours.When mine runs out of fuel , I fill it up & pull the cord once & its running again. Nothing could ruin your day more than that .

I am biased to Honda as they make excellent cars , so was a no brainer for me

Lugged a 5 HP Honda up and down creek banks,not to bad in the morning ,hard to handle after a big day of hi banking though,then to throw it into my ute at the very end ,well not fun ...........
So today with a lot of research and advice I , I brought a WX15 :D :D :D :D

Yippee no more sad endings to a great pastime ;)

Varts.....

I'm hearing you Headbut; Honda & the like are just too expensive for me- its not really an option for me.
My choices are one of the cheaper Chinese shit from ebay (& we know they are shit), or one of the Rato pumps that 'HOPEFULLY' are not so shit.
At the end of the day its a $150 gamble (difference between the real shit & the maybe shit) for me. I'm just hoping that Rato products are as good as they are supposed to be- time will tell I guess mate. I've either stumbled onto a great little gem & saved myself $500-600, or I've taken one in the ass.........LOL!
I will certainly let you all know once I give it a run or two- fingers crossed. ;)

Varts said:
Lugged a 5 HP Honda up and down creek banks,not to bad in the morning ,hard to handle after a big day of hi banking though,then to throw it into my ute at the very end ,well not fun ...........
So today with a lot of research and advice I , I brought a WX15 :D :D :D :D

Yippee no more sad endings to a great pastime ;)

Varts.....

Hey Varts, I'm getting one of those 4 wheel garden carts (Bunnings) to carry all my gear in, so hopefully the extra weight of this BIG pump will not be too much of an issue...... steep banks WILL pose a real problem tho; but I guess I can't have everything go my way all the time. It will probably restrict access to some areas tho.

BB

If anyone is after a Honda wx15,
I got mine from stihl newcastle chainsaws and mowers.
I got it for..... $700 :)
The guy gave me the non gst price!
Have not used it as yet, but looks quality. Doesn't feel like it's 9kg.

Make do with what you got BB,I done the barrow thing ,carried,dragged and struggled,but it was all I could afford,and all I had .with all the above this did not bother me ,I was happy to get out at any chance ,but fortunately after lots of fun times I stumbled onto the WX15 for the the right price and grabbed it ;)

Have not used it yet,and hope it does not disappoint ..so use wot you have mate learn your area ,find some nice gold and gems and if you think you need an upgrade your equipment cash in some of your finds in for what you need(if you can part with your finds this is ,my gems are priceless to me ,very hard to part with :D )

Best of fun
Varts...

Hey BB ,on the cart side of things the two wheel tin cart was my fav,big enough for my 5.5 HP to drag around ,sieve and pan it at home still today ,the kids love it aswell and one more thing I used to use it as a boat and float my gear across deeper parts to get to the outer side ,I was impressed with this ;)

Reeks said:
BumbleB. You have a $6000+ gpx5000 but a quality $700 pump is out of your price range?

Yeah mate, different time & situation. bought my 5000 in fatter times- things a bit leaner at the moment. If i could afford a Honda I would jump at it.
BB

Varts said:
Hey BB ,on the cart side of things the two wheel tin cart was my fav,big enough for my 5.5 HP to drag around ,sieve and pan it at home still today ,the kids love it aswell and one more thing I used to use it as a boat and float my gear across deeper parts to get to the outer side ,I was impressed with this ;)

I already have one of those 2 wheel jobs that I use around the yard- wheels a bit rusty, but still works. When the pump arrives I will see how it fits & feels in that, but I like the idea of being able to pile all my gear into the cart, so the 4 wheeler has the space.
Thanks for the thoughts tho. Thats what I love about this forum, when you ask for some advice/feedback there is so much that comes back at you. Many many times I have benefited from that advice. & its all free & friendly. Great stuff!

BB

BumbleB said:
Reeks said:
BumbleB. You have a $6000+ gpx5000 but a quality $700 pump is out of your price range?

Yeah mate, different time & situation. bought my 5000 in fatter times- things a bit leaner at the moment. If i could afford a Honda I would jump at it.
BB

if you already bought the chinese pump make sure you do the oil change thing mentioned above.

i have seen plenty of chinese made motors perform a geometrical transformation

geometrical transformation is what occurs when a soldier pulls a pin out of an army grenade and throws it as far as he can

in your case its unlikely you will be able to throw it very far

in the soldiers case he gets the grenade for free

ps . make sure you create a level surface for the pump when its running so it doesnt starve of oil

HeadsUp said:
BumbleB said:
Reeks said:

BB

if you already bought the chinese pump make sure you do the oil change thing mentioned above.

i have seen plenty of chinese made motors perform a geometrical transformation

geometrical transformation is what occurs when a soldier pulls a pin out of an army grenade and throws it as far as he can

in your case its unlikely you will be able to throw it very far

in the soldiers case he gets the grenade for free

ps . make sure you create a level surface for the pump when its running so it doesnt starve of oil

'Geometrical Transformation'...... I like it! LOL The visual I got was scarily funny.
Will do the oil changes as described. Once again a great tip on the level thing- a trap for newbies like me!

BB

Onga sell a Mini Fire fighter, completely useless for fighting fires but very light and cost around $165. The bonus here is you get a Warrantee when you buy from a authorised Onga Pump Shop. So if it fries a seal and it didn't run dry you will get it repaired for free or a replacement.

Wintersnake said:
Onga sell a Mini Fire fighter, completely useless for fighting fires but very light and cost around $165. The bonus here is you get a Warrantee when you buy from a authorised Onga Pump Shop. So if it fries a seal and it didn't run dry you will get it repaired for free or a replacement.

I assume that you are referring this little baby- http://www.onga.com.au/Miniblaze.
Looking at the specifications the water flow is insufficient for highbanking (especially with Gold Hog mats) & if you want/need to pump up hill the loss of power seems to be pretty dramatic. The price is a nice figure, but I'm not sure if it has the grunt I would be looking for.
Did you get one? How does it run?

BB

Cheap pump but the head isn't too flash

Some of the Honda 3.5 and 5 Hp pumps will go to 70 metres head , 400 and 500 litres/min

Read all the specs carefully

I saw a "nice looking" 5 Hp Honda with a Chinese impeller on ebay that only gives 20 metres head

No dang good to me gungadin

Latest posts