Petrol Water Pumps

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BumbleB

Jason
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about the various 5.5 & 6.5HP water pumps that are available on ebay- brands such a Tornado, Powerstar, Jaks & Protege?
The prices of around $180-250 seem extremely cheap. Obviously Chinese made & gauging from price they are probably abit rough, but to run at half pace to run a highbanker?????
Anyone know anything about them? Any experience with them?
BumbleB

Just heavy carrying around. You get to know how it use it and it does the job. The instructions are terrible download the Honda ones.

Thanx Balx & Redmanti for the feedback.
Kind of what I expected- beats paying $600-800 & have it sit in the shed for half the year.
Got a new 1600 x 300mm highbanker being made up so one of these babies should go good on that.
Cheers Guys!

My first was a Red Lion brand (Chinese made) from Tractor Supply Co. for about $200.00 American. It is a smaller one though at 2.4 HP with 1 1/2" ports. It was very hard to start from the get go, and had a preset throttle speed. After driving an hour to my spot, and having it not start, a time or two, I then bought a 2" Honda, this thing starts first pull every time. My experience!

Hey Jimmy, an experience like that is also what I fear from such 'cheap' gear- its a bit of a lottery I guess.
I plan to buy one from a dealer that is quite local to me so that if need be I can return it with minimal hassle.
The alternative is to pay $600-800 for the Honda-quality, & that is just a bit too much $$$$ for my pocket.
Thanx for the sobering reality check.

There is a pump from big water pumps
2.5hp 2 stroke 1.5" that I got for $90+ 35 delivery
Runs 1000L/pm and only weighs 6 kg
Only problem I have is the petrol tank on it is small and it drinks like a fish if you have it full throtal
The company that sells them are near Ballarat somewhere.

XIV Do they have a website at all ? and is that $35 delivery just to you in VIC? or same price for NSW?

Id be keen on one of these due to the weight, easy enough to fit a bigger petrol tank on it :)

Thanx XIV I will check them out- it must be a little workhorse to be pumping 1000lpm thru a 1.5" outlet- probably why its so thirsty.
Thanx again mate.

Mega machine warehouse
They also sell on eBay
Just had a look before. One for auction now at $41 plus delivery
If you get it for less than $100 its a good buy.
Think the $30 delivery is standard for post in Aust

if you buy a cheap chinese one its life and performance can be improved by changing the spark plug to a good brand and use good quality oil ( genuine Honda oil is reasonably cheap ) , just make sure its the right weight.

some people recommend running the engine in from new at 20 - 50 % revs for 30 minutes without load , then change the oil , put it to work for 2 - 3 hours and change the oil again , then change the oil at the recommended intervals which might be every 30 days of operating but check the manual and do it a little more frequently.

note if youre running in the engine dont do it with the pump dry , some water pumps need to have water inside to prevent damage to the seal so you could just stick the garden hose in the priming hole on top and have it trickling in while the engine runs

XIV said:
Mega machine warehouse
They also sell on eBay
Just had a look before. One for auction now at $41 plus delivery
If you get it for less than $100 its a good buy.
Think the $30 delivery is standard for post in Aust

the only problem here is that we might be betting against each other on this one :)

im not ready for one just yet, lost my job last month and still nothing with xmas a few weeks away :( not much fun..

farmeroz, tough time to get another but something will be there for you.

BumbleB. seems there is enough head without the complexity of twins. open impeller won't clog like the closed ones & most of the cheapies are open.

Slowflo- good point mate, I hadn't thought of that.
I was thinking more grunt= better lift & value; but I think you're right- clogging could be a very real issue in some of these creeks.

XIV said:
There is a pump from big water pumps
2.5hp 2 stroke 1.5" that I got for $90+ 35 delivery
Runs 1000L/pm and only weighs 6 kg
Only problem I have is the petrol tank on it is small and it drinks like a fish if you have it full throtal
The company that sells them are near Ballarat somewhere.

Had a look at their website - only seem to have a 11000L/h model (183L/m) at the moment for $197 + postage. Still cheap.

eBay bidding and crossed fingers seems to be the better bet at the moment :)

I purchased a protege 4.5 hp 2 stroke , it's light easy to carry as it comes mounted to a base and handle , it pumps the required 200 lpm for my walbanker , at $170 can't go wrong , at a hose length of aprox 20 mts it needs to run at about 1/2 revs , so far so good I've only had it running for about six hours so I'll keep u posted , it runs for aprox 90 mins per tank , in the cheaper motors I think 2 stroke is the way to go , just get the mix right only use good oil and premium petrol .

Latest posts