People Bothering You While Detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Just wondering.

Do people challenge you when detecting a local park and ask you if you have the right
to be doing what you are doing - metal detecting?

I have had 3 similar scenarios where there was some sort of objection.

This is what makes coin detecting difficult and that is finding places to detect without being hassled.

I am not a fan of night detecting unless there are 2 of you or you're on a beach. In a park its simply not
safe as you don't know who is hanging around. Have I done night detecting? Yes I have. One instance I started about 4am
and around 6am I was approached by 3 unsavory looking dudes who were interested in what I was doing.

This is whats so good about bush prospecting. You have the peace and tranquility with very little disturbance unless your spotted
by a farmer and the area happens to be next door to his or her property.

I've had a couple of near incidents on the beach when I was doing a heap of night detecting, In the end I decided it just wasn't worth it any more. I also know another forum member who was nearly glassed by a drunken idiot around the same time, a pick to the face was used to defuse the situation (and I'm not joking either) :lol:

In regards to being approached at local parks by rangers etc, I've only really had the odd civilian approach me just out of interest, but thankfully I haven't been told to move on by anyone.

I guess it comes down to the time, day and location you're detecting. I would usually go when the weather is less than perfect or late afternoon during the cooler months. Summer time can be a pain as popular parks (and beaches) seem to be active until fairly late, in that case early morning seems to be the best time.

Like you I now prefer bush prospecting.

Hi,
Yes I get challenged a fair few times too. I have made a sign up about a meter square in yellow saying CAUTION gas pipe survey in progress. Keeps a lot of these hangers on away as well as the NO SMOKING GAS LEAK signs. Cost me $60 the lot at a sign/print company, add a couple of $20 witches hats from Bunnings and away you go. I also have a letter of authority from my local council. I went to a meeting with the council manager with a presentation which he was happy with and someone from council ground staff checks up on my regularly and I write the manager a report every so often.

Three of us go out together detecting, we get there around six AM and are gone 9am and at times we take the wives. I have used her(wife) as the reason. "Lost the wife's house keys and she's mad at me".

The interesting one I have found is the runners/joggers I make a point of saying hello to all of them now a lot of them keep an eye on my back if I am out alone or give me information about sites.

On the beach night detecting we make a point of four or more going or no one goes.

Bob.

It was much easier in the 90's. The hobby was not as popular and you did not have as many aggressive people out there.

I am thinking of heading out to a ghost town. 20 years ago that's all it was. Now you have 6 or so small weekenders plastered about the landscape.
I will get very annoyed if one of these thrill seekers decided to challenge me because I will stand my ground especially being in a public state forest.

I was in a playground once and a kid kept following me and kicking bark at me when the old man decided to step in
and have a few words to say to me instead of controlling his child's behavior.

2 weeks ago I was approached by a woman with her dog and she was rude and told me its not my property and I should not be doing that.
I told her to go and speak to the council and make a complaint. This was sunday morning mind you. She walked 5 meters then started again
and I told her to mind her own business. I should of turned this around by asking her that I do hope she is picking up after her dogs droppings.

Nugget is right and have thought about this.

The only way to control this to a point is to:

1. head out when the weather is not as good.
2. 6am early morning start.
3. Head out during a week day that's not an RDO or public holiday.

If I am detecting a few playgrounds I am out and about by 6am. You may encounter a group of people exercising so early but that's ok.

I have the ability to create signs and use these but I won't because you don't know who is at the park watching nor do you know their
expertise and experience around incorrect information being promoted for personal gain.

Bush prospecting is awesome as long as you don't need to drive through a lane where there is a farmers gate and there are still lots of
areas where you can spend the day detecting.

I will share with you a story.

The year was around 1997. I had just purchased my minelab soverign. I left Melbourne and headed for central victoria.
As soon as I got to town and parked my car by the park I walked out got to my car boot and as I was getting my detector out a local
came out and told me bluntly don't even think about detecting here otherwise I will call the cops. It took an hour to get here so after
a small shouting match I decided it was not worth the trouble.

Hi,
I know where you are coming from. For me my signs are not false but a small part of my job, just not there at that location.

We always detect mid week. Had that shouting thing too, guy said he would call the cops, told him to hang on, when he asked what I was doing told him calling the cops he said some very rude stuff and left.

That is another thing I do is inform the police where I will be and what times, just in case. We like detecting in the rain and miserable days too, few people about and you can get on with detecting.

the other interesting thing is the local police have called me to help with missing jewellery recovery, someone comes into the station saying lost ring at a particular park then I get a call to help look for it, now that is fun and the looks you get when you find it, priceless. :lol:

Bob.

Latest posts